Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Arizona: Scottsdale, education, cost of living, downtown, neighborhood.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 10:35 AM

17 posts, read 71,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmonellie View Post
What a nice, kind post...you can't live in evil Scottsdale?!!!

I love the area you live in. I live up in Carefree and the people are wonderful up here. Most are transplants...most are great.

Oh, and if you are looking for fake boobs or guys with bad hair transplants, yeah, I've seen it in Scottsdale. Funny thing, once you talk to these people, they are nice human beings with foibles we all have.

P.S. Have you ever had a kobe burger at A.J.'s? I don't eat red meat, but my husband nearly cried at how good it was.

Yeah, sure...Carefree, AZ....where old people go to visit their parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 10:53 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,779,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaZ View Post
My family will be moving to Scottsdale early next year by choice. We want to take a small step back from the craziness of the NY area. We live in a wealthy suburb of Manhattan and while we do very well financially - we really want to raise our child in an area that has a little less pressure to be #1 with everything. Of course we want her to do well in life, as we have, but I don't want her to be so pressured and there is so much of that here from school achievement, to what you wear, what you drive, what preschool you are in, how many activities you put your child in. I see it now and she is not even 2 years old. Yet, the more I read about the Phoenix/Scottsdale area - I am not sure if it is better. When I told a friend I was concerned that Scottsdale might be too superficial, she replied, "Come on now, can you live somewhere more superficial than here?". That is why I ask for opinion from those who live in Scottsdale but came from the East coast.
My likes of where I live now:
Very educated, involved in the community-politics, proactive, extremely cultured, ambitious, and very family focused. What I dislike is everyone is too wrapped up in getting ahead, doing more, having more, outdoing others. Also, it sounds like Scottsdale is very plastic- especially the women. That is one thing I don't see as much of in my area.

What is your take on the Scottsdale area?
Scottsdale is viewed as a prestige address, and some say that the people in Scottsdale are a bit pretentious. Perhaps that is just a generality. No matter what is said, Scottsdale is a beautiful area with many beautiful homes of all prices.

The area that I live in, Val Vista Lakes in Gilbert is a wonderful area with great emenities and activities. An elementary school is in the community and it is spoken of quite highly.

There are people here from many different social strata and varying occupations. There are people here who own million dollar homes that only live in them two or three months out of the year. It certainly is an area to check out if you're wanting to get away from the life style that you describe. It could be that it would fit just what you're looking for.

Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area