Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 02:14 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_W View Post
LOL, oh great.... You know, I have no problem with money and fashion. I work my butt off and make good money and dress good. I just don't get people who feel the need to talk about it referencing themselves as better than others. I’m used to people who have money here don't talk about it and people who don't have money pretend they do....if that makes sense.
lol I know exactly what youre talking about... its the same here (thank goodness).

However, Scottsdale is one of the most pretentious places Ive ever been to. Its disgusting, actually. I LOVE the city (especially north Scottsdale), but the people there are another story. Sure some folks are genuinely nice, but there are TONS of Beverly Hills wannabes everywhere. You know, the 17 year old girls driving brand new S-class Benzes, who get out of the car and flip their hair around and say "oh...my...god...like, ya know?" Just visit the Scottsdale Fashion Square, or the Borgata, or around Old Town at night, or the Kierland Commons, or the..... you catch my drift.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 03:12 PM

884 posts, read 1,034,696 times
Lol, well hopefully the girls are good looking at least! I can take a Beverly Hills Wanna Be area over a gang infested neighborhood I guess. Maybe I should just visit first.

Old 10-23-2007, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Lol, well hopefully the girls are good looking at least! I can take a Beverly Hills Wanna Be area over a gang infested neighborhood I guess. Maybe I should just visit first.
There are many transplants, naturally, and Im sure youll find TONS that youll find are attractive. And yes, Id definitely want to live there than in a gang infested 'hood. Just be careful, PHX and Mesa have large pockets of gang-ridden 'hoods.

Old 10-23-2007, 04:42 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,701,216 times
Scottsdale is a great place to live but you will find the types of people Steve-O mentioned. However after a while you just forget about it and realize that you'll find these types EVERYWHERE in the US.

Now Scottsdale is generally broken into 3 distinct areas; N. Scottsdale, C. Scottsdale (Old Town), and S. Scottsdale.

North Scottsdale is the newest part and has the most natural, desert setting. It's also home to quite a few private communities and has the highest median home price in Scottsdale. It truly is a great place to live.

Central Scottsdale was built in the 70's and 80's primarily. It has Old Town which is basically the hub of Scottsdale. C. Scottsdale is built out though, there is no new construction homes. Overall it's a very good area and at about 1/2 the price of N. Scottsdale.

South Scottsdale is the oldest part and is considered to be fairly crime-ridden. Some neighborhood's are bad but a good percentage are made of up middle-income singles and families. No new construction here and it has the lowest median home price in Scottsdale.

Old 10-24-2007, 12:07 AM

268 posts, read 1,160,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Now Scottsdale is generally broken into 3 distinct areas; N. Scottsdale, C. Scottsdale (Old Town), and S. Scottsdale.
I've always thought of Old Town as part of South Scottsdale. Generally, people think of S. Scottsdale as south of Chaparral (which includes Old Town). However it's what is defined as the border between Central and North Scottsdale is where there are differing opinions and definitions. Realtors and business owners will generally say anything north of Shea is North Scottsdale. City of Scottsdale defines it as anything north of the C.A.P. canal which pretty much runs along Frank Lloyd Wright Blvd. By that definition, anything between Chaparral and FLW is Central Scottsdale, and what is north of FLW Blvd is North Scottsdale. Does that match your definitions for what you posted as C. Scottsdale and N. Scottsdale?

By the way, I was looking on google maps today and noticed that the Street View for the Phoenix metro area is now available. Pretty interesting.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:39 AM

884 posts, read 1,034,696 times
Thanks for all the information everyone.

Old 10-24-2007, 12:10 PM

919 posts, read 3,396,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
lol I know exactly what youre talking about... its the same here (thank goodness).

However, Scottsdale is one of the most pretentious places Ive ever been to. Its disgusting, actually. I LOVE the city (especially north Scottsdale), but the people there are another story. Sure some folks are genuinely nice, but there are TONS of Beverly Hills wannabes everywhere. You know, the 17 year old girls driving brand new S-class Benzes, who get out of the car and flip their hair around and say "oh...my...god...like, ya know?" Just visit the Scottsdale Fashion Square, or the Borgata, or around Old Town at night, or the Kierland Commons, or the..... you catch my drift.
Yet another gross generalization. I live in Scottsdale and the vast majority of people are casual and down to earth. There's a lot of nightlife choices that are chock full of unfashionable types (like me). Yes, there are places catering to the velvet rope/bottle service/look at me crowd, but those are folks from all over the PHX area. In fact the biggest cheeseballs I know who play in Socttsdale live 20 miles away. That spoiled 17 year old ditz sounds like the type my friend teaches in Chandler, my nieces hang out with in SoCal, or who I grew up with in suburban Denver. Bimbos & Himbos are everywhere, and Scottsdale provides some places for them to gather. But you can also go to Old Town and hit a goth bar, gay bar, biker bar, sports bar, Irish bar, Green Bay Packer bar, cheesey karaoke bars, etc. I love the fact that we have so many options, including the see and be scene places. You gotta admit, there's some nice scenery.

Old 10-24-2007, 01:41 PM

I was even at the Billet Bar (I think thats what it was called) off Scottsdale Rd (near Old Town) and even the women in there were pretentious! At a biker bar! I dont know how or why that happened, but up here biker bars are just that, biker bars! You wont find any Prada wearin', Britney Spears wannabes at our biker bars. Once I saw that even the "biker bars" in Scottsdale were chock full of fashionistas, I was completely disappointed. It seemed that no matter where I went in Scottsdale, I was surrounded by that crap. Sorry, thats just what I saw and it never changes any time Im down there.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:39 PM

88 posts, read 482,803 times
I wish I could remember the street name of where my son lived in south Scottsdale when he first moved to AZ- he moved less than a year later after being awoken to gun shots coming from the apartment directly across from him. I came out to vist him a few weeks later and saw the gun shot hole still in the window, and another gunshot that hit the tree directly infront on my son's patio. Now- this was just one complex, the rest could be perfectly fine... this was also a gated complex, with gates that were broken more times than not. I will ask him the street name if you'd like.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:20 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,781,079 times
Quote:
Im thinking of relocating to Scottsdale from Omaha and need some advice. I'm 24 and work as a security design consultant. I design and sell access control, CCTV and instrusion systems for commercial applications.

Anyone know of a good company to work for in my related field? Also, how are salaries in the Pheonix area compared to Omaha.

Im single w/no kids and moving with a couple buddies of mine. Info on where to live and nightlife in that area would be great also.

Thanks
Scottsdale does carry an elite mailing address, but there are extremes in the various areas and prices of homes. North Scottsdale is where the majoity of the very expensive homes are, and mostly family oriented. To the south are more moderate homes and closer to areas of entertainment.

You do need to drive the areas for a few days to determine what area you're comfortable in, and what price range home you're looking for.

Bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area