Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2009, 10:37 PM

2 posts, read 5,831 times

Advertisements

i grew up in south phoenix between southern road and broadway in the early 70s when part of southern road going into tempe was a dirt road and we would go to tempe to legend city to watch the wallace and ladmo show also in tempe was "dun buggy race way and big slide where you would climb stairs to the top of the slide and and then ride down the humungus slide and dont forget bigsurf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 05:38 AM

2 posts, read 5,831 times
man i went and saw all the brue lee and clint eastwood movies at the silverdollar. my dad use to pack me and my kinfolk in his 57 chevy including some in the trunk and go to the rodeo drive on buckeye road.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:13 PM

6 posts, read 17,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj661 View Post
KRIZ, 1230 AM, the best rock and roll station ever!

The TG&Y store in Papago Plaza, Scottsdale Road and McDowell. Always had a HUGE selection of toys many of which a little 7 year old () in 1962 could buy for a dime. Also at Papago Plaza, the "Blue Chip" trading stamp redemption store where I got my first camera, a simple plastic box that used 127 film and took great photos.
You must have lived in that area - my parents had a house behind Papago Plaza - I went to Supai only for 7th grade in 1960.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:17 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,911,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuel jones jr View Post
i grew up in south phoenix between southern road and broadway in the early 70s when part of southern road going into tempe was a dirt road and we would go to tempe to legend city to watch the wallace and ladmo show also in tempe was "dun buggy race way and big slide where you would climb stairs to the top of the slide and and then ride down the humungus slide and dont forget bigsurf.
My family lived in So. Phoenix from the mid 1920s. Paternal family lived on Broadway a block or two west of Central. Maternal family live on Central, also between Broadway and Southern. Do you remember Doyle's Second Hand store on So. Central? My grandparents lived next door on the south side of it and they built the first Safeway next door on the north side. I remember when we had irrigation ditches and wooden bridges to get into our yards. There was a Dairy Queen and a restaurant across the street. I remember when they built that Safeway...I was 8 years old. They had the first 'electric eye' thingy that made the doors open when you walked through it. Doncha know, as kids we LOVED playing in the doorway! lol I also ruined my uncles skates by using them on the freshly tarred new parking lot. He was sorta mad at me about that!

Last time I was past my grandparents old property it was a big thrift store. Back then the lots were in acres and we had three or four horses. I haven't been down to So. Phoenix in years. Last time I was down there I found it to be rather 'scary', which is too bad, because I have lots of good memories of living there. Or visiting my family when I didn't live there.

Old 12-10-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Hi All!
It has been such great fun reading all the posts in this thread and it has brought up some good memories for me.

I was born in Phx., at the old St. Joe's hospital in 1942...it was still 'small town' back then. Unfortunately I was brought to the Verde Valley when I was two so I didn't get to grow up in Phx. but have lived there, off and on, over the years. Still have a boatload of relatives there as well.

We lived in So. Phoenix when I was born and, back then, it was still a pretty good place to live. We lived on Central Ave. between Broadway and Roeser Road. My parents and all my aunts and uncles went to Roosevelt School and Phoenix Union High. I remember there was a Dairy Queen right across the street and a restaurant next to that that served THE hottest chili I have ever tasted! I remember when the Silver Dollar Drive In was brand new and saw Psycho the first time there when it first came out. I had my own horse when I was a kid but made good use of the stables at So. Mountain as an adult. I remember the endless citrus orchards and flower gardens on Baseline too. Always smelled sooooo good out there.

Anyways...just wanted to say how pleased I was to find and read this entire thread. Thanks for the memories!
If you were born in 1942 at St.Joes, did my grandfather, Dr, F C Jordan deliver you - he delivered most the babies in Phoenix from mid 1920' until his death in 1945

Old 12-10-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahatt View Post
My father also worked at Garrett starting in the 50's and retired some 40 years later. I don't recall Vito's; however, Red Devil Pizza was in the neighborhood and you could watch the pizza chefs spinning pizza's through the front window. I remember a bar next door called "The Go Go Lounge". Just remembered that because we would pull into the parking lot for take out orders and their Neon sign was eye catching at my young age.

Couldn't forget the old AirResearch christmas party's though. Great times and always a gift and stocking at the end of the show!
I had forgotten those AirResearch Christmas parties with Santa and a gift. Thanks for the memory.My Dad too worked there from mid-fifties until he retired in the 80's ( We traveled a lot)

Old 12-11-2009, 03:57 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,627,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuel jones jr View Post
So many of you lived in south Phoenix that I'm posting a photo of South Plaza in 1960. Maybe you can make out some stores you went to.

Attachment 54271

Last edited by roosevelt; 03-21-2010 at 04:15 PM..

Old 12-11-2009, 07:12 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,145,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
So many of you lived in south Phoenix that I'm posting a photo of South Plaza in 1960. Maybe you can make out some stores you went to.

Attachment 54271
Actually; judging by the line of 1964 Chevy Impalas in the bottom of that pic..........I am guessing it was taken ca. 1965-66

Old 12-11-2009, 07:54 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,627,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Actually; judging by the line of 1964 Chevy Impalas in the bottom of that pic..........I am guessing it was taken ca. 1965-66
Well, whatever the date, I think this was opening day. I see Jay's Coffee Shop, they also had one on Van Buren and Central. All the hookers along Van Buren would hang out there late at night.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:18 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,911,869 times
Nope. Just looked at my birth certificate and I was delivered by a Dr. Shelley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area