Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2009, 06:23 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,621,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Bob View Post
Fun to see Roosevelt's & Westside Willie's photos side by side. In the '61 scene you can see the pale blue "Guaranty Bank" way up Central. I recall it being the tallest building in town during much of my childhood.
Anyone know what the 8- or 9-story place is at Central & Roosevelt? Looks like maybe an apt. building in the old pic; still there with a glassy-looking exterior in the recent shot.
That is the Coronet Hotel before they remodeled it with all that glass. Before the Coronet was built the Central Dryv Inn was there for many years and the lot to the right was an outdoor bowling alley, then later a small amusement park.

Across the street to the south was a Standard Service Station owned by Gus Stallings. He drag raced a Mercedes 300SL for years and won his division every time. He would often show people a clipping from the Republic newspaper of him shooting a robber in his house.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 09:10 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
As far as I know, the Westward Ho is still senior housing. I remember participating in the state Spelling Bee there as an elementary school student. It's nice to see that it is still there, in whatever incarnation.

The Guaranty Bank building was a big deal, back "in the day".

Old 10-13-2009, 03:58 PM

362 posts, read 1,699,875 times
Default "Guaranty Bank Building"

In the '61 scene you can see the pale blue "Guaranty Bank" way up Central. I recall it being the tallest building in town during much of my childhood.

Here it is c. 1964.
I believe its 20 stories tall - and yes it was quite a big deal when it opened as the tallest "skyscraper" in the Valley. The facade has been extensively redesigned.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-gb-bldg-c.1964.jpg  

Old 10-13-2009, 04:04 PM

Default The Westward Ho

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
As far as I know, the Westward Ho is still senior housing.
The Westward Ho is a residence for low income people over the age of (60 -
I believe). They have to show proof of income (SS etc.) and pay 30% of that figure for rent. Its actually very nice there. I wasn't allowed in the rooms of course, but the grounds and public areas are very well maintained.

Heres a shot of the lobby.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-dsc07454.jpg  

Old 10-15-2009, 12:06 AM

1 posts, read 4,628 times
Default Roer's Bird Farm

Does anybody remeber Roer's Birdfarm?
It was my grandpa's farm and I've only heard stories passed around by family members.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:54 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeAZ View Post
It was my grandpa's farm and I've only heard stories passed around by family members.
Yes, I do.. .used to go by there in the car a lot... never went in, but I knew people who had been there.

Old 10-15-2009, 05:32 PM

Default Roer's Birdfarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeAZ View Post
Sure. It was on 27th Ave just north of my grade school, Ss Simon & Jude.
I used to but turtle doves there for my old magic act. Massive trees all over.
It was like a jungle in there.

Sad story awhile back when some pillar of society let loose a couple of pit-bulls (on purpose) whom proceeded to kill a bunch of the birds. Pinheads - may they get gonorrhea and rot in hell.

Just remembered, there use to be a golf course just south of Ss Simon & Jude.
It was bordered on the east by Black Canyon Hwy. Anybody?

Old 10-15-2009, 06:59 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,621,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post
Sure. It was on 27th Ave just north of my grade school, Ss Simon & Jude.
I used to but turtle doves there for my old magic act. Massive trees all over.
It was like a jungle in there.

Sad story awhile back when some pillar of society let loose a couple of pit-bulls (on purpose) whom proceeded to kill a bunch of the birds. Pinheads - may they get gonorrhea and rot in hell.

Just remembered, there use to be a golf course just south of Ss Simon & Jude.
It was bordered on the east by Black Canyon Hwy. Anybody?
There was a miniature golf course on west Thomas about 24th Ave. called Westwood Acres.

Across the street was batting practice cages that had coin operated pitching machines.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:28 PM

1 posts, read 4,922 times
Default Reposting

Sorry, not sure if my first one stuck.
Pegler's New Dodge City spokesman was Stan Norman.
"You got the money (time?) we got the carpet!" Kurt Kosser, who beat the carpet samples with a stick, then eventually a metal rod because he kept breaking the sticks. The times when he'd do the spots live were priceless. The crew would be laughing so loud at his faux pas it was hard to hear him.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:24 AM

107 posts, read 422,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latigoslim View Post
Sorry, not sure if my first one stuck.
Pegler's New Dodge City spokesman was Stan Norman.
"You got the money (time?) we got the carpet!" Kurt Kosser, who beat the carpet samples with a stick, then eventually a metal rod because he kept breaking the sticks. The times when he'd do the spots live were priceless. The crew would be laughing so loud at his faux pas it was hard to hear him.
Ah, yes, the lovely and talented Stan Norman.
Was Pegler's the place that was "Right on the price and right on the corner" of something and something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area