Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2010, 11:13 AM

362 posts, read 1,699,875 times

Advertisements

Thanks again Roosevelt. And yes, thanks for sharing all of your photos with us. Amazing collection you have there.

Willie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 11:27 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,621,132 times
Playboy club in Phoenix 1967. You can see Camelback Mtn. in background. I danced up there once, they had a clear Plexiglas dance floor with colored lights underneath; problem was the Plexiglas was held together with metal strips that were slightly above the Plexiglas and you could actually trip; being right at the edge of the room at the window was an eerie experience. That is where the group of models are standing in the picture.
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-phx-playboy-club-1967.jpg

Old 08-04-2010, 01:16 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby sinister View Post
Before Rita Davenport there was Marge Condin. Don't Know if I spelled the last name right.
Close. Condon.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:56 PM

115 posts, read 291,312 times
Default Mining Camp Restaurant

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
here's the Mining Camp's website

Mining Camp Restaurant

watch the little slide show at the top of the homepage and you'll see what looks a good bit like that building that's in your shot, roosevelt....

it's a local legend, but the website says they're closing for a few months....I think their foray into fine dining (the Dutchman's Hide Out) was ill-fated, despite the old place still being open....I hope they can hang on...we ate there just weeks after arriving in Arizona in 1975.....
I have been to the Mining Camp several times but it was YEARS ago. The food was good. Seating is (or was) at long tables so you were sharing your table with other diners. Food was served family style.
I believe this place used to be only open in the winter months, closing in late May or early June. I was surprised to see on the website where they apparently remaind open this summer. I'm sure business had to be low in the summer months but think it would pick back up once the "snowbirds" arrived.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:27 AM

3,165 posts, read 1,155,227 times
I know the name of Bill Close came up awhile back, the great news anchor from KOOL tv. I remember him and his bolo ties. There was a day when a wacko burst into the station and held it captive till he had his say on tv. I remember Bill Close sitting there at the desk with him while he rambled on. I have a picture of that somewhere. Does anyone remember that?

Old 08-05-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowesthand View Post
I know the name of Bill Close came up awhile back, the great news anchor from KOOL tv. I remember him and his bolo ties. There was a day when a wacko burst into the station and held it captive till he had his say on tv. I remember Bill Close sitting there at the desk with him while he rambled on. I have a picture of that somewhere. Does anyone remember that?
A friend of mine recorded the whole episode on video tape. I knew Bill Close, he had artificial legs and collected real old pop bottles.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:25 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
I remember that incident too. I knew Bill's daughter in college.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:38 AM

115 posts, read 291,312 times
Bill Close was a really good news person. I remember very well the night the WACKO showed up at the station. Bill hung in there with the guy until the situation was resolved. He (Bill) really seemed to keep his cool. I also remember the Bolo ties he wore, always seemed to have a different one each night.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:44 AM

3,165 posts, read 1,155,227 times
Bill Close was definetly from the "old school" news men! Always liked him and also Dave Nichols, hope I spelled him right! I recall when he had the segment "Nichols worth of news" Anyone remember Dewey Hopper!

Old 08-06-2010, 09:48 AM

Great photo of course watermarked. Bill Close on the billboard. Across the street was Jay's Restaurant where the ladies of the night would hang out. I walked in there once and wondered why all those women in there were staring at me.
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-phx-coffee-shop-kool_wm.jpgKeep clicking on the photo and see a really big one, there is the Vista Theater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area