Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2011, 09:23 AM

427 posts, read 1,186,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby sinister View Post
I would say that only half of the mall is occupied.

Phoenix seems to have gone through some serious neighborhood changes. I've visited other cities and been to malls, neighborhoods, etc from the past and they have updated, moved forward with the times. Neighborhoods are still vital. There may be ethnic changes but the homes, streets, retail, etc. are still doing well with no decline. In Phoenix it seems like the downtown area was revitalized physically but when I was there at night it was dead...maybe it's a daytime area. The original Phoenix suburbs all seem to be in decline with everyone moving to the "new" cities...Anthem was one...the downtown Tempe area is beautiful...don't know if the residential area has changed. Does anyone have any thoughts on why many areas in the Valley of the Sun seem to be so blighted yet I see 50 year old neighborhoods in CA and UT that still thrive? Just my observation and I'm curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 09:40 AM

24,281 posts, read 13,136,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trillcatz View Post
Phoenix seems to have gone through some serious neighborhood changes. I've visited other cities and been to malls, neighborhoods, etc from the past and they have updated, moved forward with the times. Neighborhoods are still vital. There may be ethnic changes but the homes, streets, retail, etc. are still doing well with no decline. In Phoenix it seems like the downtown area was revitalized physically but when I was there at night it was dead...maybe it's a daytime area. The original Phoenix suburbs all seem to be in decline with everyone moving to the "new" cities...Anthem was one...the downtown Tempe area is beautiful...don't know if the residential area has changed. Does anyone have any thoughts on why many areas in the Valley of the Sun seem to be so blighted yet I see 50 year old neighborhoods in CA and UT that still thrive? Just my observation and I'm curious.
This is true of a number of places. Tucson, for example. Except for one venue, it was empty after 5 PM. Lawton, OK near where I now live. These are primarily business areas with few people living in the downtown. Tucson does have some residential areas surrounding the downtown, which is rather small, and the after-hours offerings are improving. Tempe, on the other hand, has made great progress since I was an ASU student in the late 70s/early 80s. It's someplace to be proud of. Of course, there is a different demographic in Tempe, with a number of people only living there for 2 to 6 years.

Scottsdale never really had a classic "downtown" like Tempe or Mesa, and everything moved north and northeast, starting with McCormick Ranch in the 60s/70s. Whenever I go back it's unbelievable what isn't the same.

A few years ago when I was at Luke it seems that Glendale did something similar to Tempe.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:41 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,621,697 times
Quote:
I have plenty of photos showing Phoenix of the 1940's packed with people. One problem was parking, very few parking lots and street parking but that is not what happened. I think the rise of bully teenagers after school started a bad experience downtown. The stores started moving out to Park Central and Chris-Town. Plus the city tore down historic buildings and built office buildings with no retail and at the same time left the vagrants, soup kitchens and blood banks.

On a lighter note, where was the El Rancho Motor Hotel and what is that car behind the bush? Kinda looks like a Ford but has a "V" on the hood.

How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-el-rancho-motel-1949.jpg

People, we are approaching 500,000 views on this Phoenix memories forum, better than any other city.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
On a lighter note, where was the El Rancho Motor Hotel and what is that car behind the bush? Kinda looks like a Ford but has a "V" on the hood.

Attachment 88108

People, we are approaching 500,000 views on this Phoenix memories forum, better than any other city.
This is not the El Rancho by the LDS Temple on Main Street in Mesa, correct?

Old 12-05-2011, 11:34 AM

3,165 posts, read 1,155,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
I have plenty of photos showing Phoenix of the 1940's packed with people. One problem was parking, very few parking lots and street parking but that is not what happened. I think the rise of bully teenagers after school started a bad experience downtown. The stores started moving out to Park Central and Chris-Town. Plus the city tore down historic buildings and built office buildings with no retail and at the same time left the vagrants, soup kitchens and blood banks.

Attachment 88108

There are 2 postcards on EBAY now of the EL Rancho, one gives the address as1300 W. Van Buren. Item # 150711813630

Old 12-05-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
This is true of a number of places. Tucson, for example. Except for one venue, it was empty after 5 PM. Lawton, OK near where I now live. These are primarily business areas with few people living in the downtown. Tucson does have some residential areas surrounding the downtown, which is rather small, and the after-hours offerings are improving. Tempe, on the other hand, has made great progress since I was an ASU student in the late 70s/early 80s. It's someplace to be proud of. Of course, there is a different demographic in Tempe, with a number of people only living there for 2 to 6 years.

Scottsdale never really had a classic "downtown" like Tempe or Mesa, and everything moved north and northeast, starting with McCormick Ranch in the 60s/70s. Whenever I go back it's unbelievable what isn't the same.

A few years ago when I was at Luke it seems that Glendale did something similar to Tempe.
In the early 60's Scottsdale had 5th Avenue I think (may be wrong on that) I think it was on/near Scottsdale Rd. It was quite popular both daytime and evening. Correct on no residential near downtown Phx...the old neighborhoods were torn out to make room for the freeways. I'd heard that downtown Phx had quite a nightlife so I took the train down one night but found very little open. I'd found quite a website on Phoenix at night so I was looking forward to some nice pubs etc...not much to be found but I did hear that on game nights things are hopping. ???

I went to school in Tempe in the late 60's and Mill Ave looked much different way back then...what a fun place to meet up with friends for dinner and drinks now.

Glendale similar to Tempe??? Please let me know where this area is located. I stay with friends in Glendale when I'm there and Glendale is actually one of the 'burbs I was referring to. It's changed a lot from the farming community that I knew in the 60's...very busy now but from what residents of Glendale have told me you don't want to be walking about at night. They don't consider it safe.

Just making a comparison between the valley and other large metro areas and wondering why so many areas have declined or appear that way yet in other states (not all) that's not the case.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:24 AM

Quote:
In the early 60's Scottsdale had 5th Avenue I think (may be wrong on that) I think it was on/near Scottsdale Rd. It was quite popular both daytime and evening. Glendale similar to Tempe??? Please let me know where this area is located. I stay with friends in Glendale when I'm there and Glendale is actually one of the 'burbs I was referring to. It's changed a lot from the farming community that I knew in the 60's...very busy now but from what residents of Glendale have told me you don't want to be walking about at night. They don't consider it safe.

Just making a comparison between the valley and other large metro areas and wondering why so many areas have declined or appear that way yet in other states (not all) that's not the case.
Glendale's downtown saw revitalization in the 90s. Nothing like Tempe, but better than it was in the 70s.

As a kid in Scottsdale we'd go to 5th Avenue with my snowbird grandparents from Illinois. It was mostly turqoise and T-shirts. In the 90s when I lived in Tucson and my wife was decorating with the ubiquitous Southwestern style, 5th Avenue was a treasure trove, especially in the summer when everything was 50% or more off. In the 80s unfortunately there weren't too many places for a college student to go at night, especially one who didn't drive a Bimmer or Benz. (Didn't need it anyway, there was MinderBinders and O'Toole's and Dooleys, etc).

It's interesting that some smaller places have vibrant downtowns (Fort Smith, AR, for example). Maybe it's a suburban thing.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:16 PM

283 posts, read 880,527 times
Quote:
I went to school in Tempe in the late 60's and Mill Ave looked much different way back then...
You mean Parry's beer and wine joint, the Casa Loma, the Q and Brew and 6 East didn't have that certain cachet??? Remember the old Library bar that was kinda out in the sticks and the Dash Inn on Apache Blvd?

Old 12-06-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
Glendale's downtown saw revitalization in the 90s. Nothing like Tempe, but better than it was in the 70s.

As a kid in Scottsdale we'd go to 5th Avenue with my snowbird grandparents from Illinois. It was mostly turqoise and T-shirts. In the 90s when I lived in Tucson and my wife was decorating with the ubiquitous Southwestern style, 5th Avenue was a treasure trove, especially in the summer when everything was 50% or more off. In the 80s unfortunately there weren't too many places for a college student to go at night, especially one who didn't drive a Bimmer or Benz. (Didn't need it anyway, there was MinderBinders and O'Toole's and Dooleys, etc).

It's interesting that some smaller places have vibrant downtowns (Fort Smith, AR, for example). Maybe it's a suburban thing.

In the 70's for me it was Minderbinders in Tempe and Red Dog Saloon in Scottsdale and Isadores in Phoenix.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:05 PM

111 posts, read 338,853 times
Default Sgt. Jack Ashley's magic

Do any other old dogs recall Phoenix Police Sergeant Jack Ashley, who used to visit the elementary schools with his magic show to get the kids' attention for a lesson on pedestrian and bicyclist's safety? He had a neat guillotine which never chopped off anyone's head. The kid would go up on stage, sit down, put his head and neck into the contraption, and the good sergeant would send home the blade, but the heads never rolled into the basket or the hat in place to catch them. This was in the frumious fifties.

In 1949, I attended St. Mary's kindergarten under good Sister Paulette, and Jack's daughter, Marsha Ashley--same age--became my first girlfriend ever. No! Nothing happened. So much for victory dances.

I believe Jack Ashley also had a weekend television show in which automobile accidents were relived and analysed in diagrams--and to monotonous music, no less. It beat the hell out of most of our present t.v. though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area