Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2014, 11:41 PM

214 posts, read 646,524 times

Advertisements

I attended PUHS in the 70's and took vocational drafting class which was located in a 4 story building on campus. My teachers were, Mr. Brown and Mr. Rosenberg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 03:29 AM

218 posts, read 569,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEJ View Post
In the late 50s, I think you could take up to three shop classes a term. I remember taking Drafting, Print Shop, and Radio, all in the morning. Mr. Voight was the Radio teacher. Very nice and knowledgable man. You could take the shop classes in which you were interested rather than a curriculum that was set in stone. Very cool.
At night, across the way by the stadium, my Dad and I took an Air Conditioning course. The same set of buildings held the Aircraft Frame and other metal works shops. An old friend took every class they offered in Sheet Metal and ended up opening his own shop.
I too took a class with Mr. Voight. I remember he had a gizmo that everyone got a nice shock from. There were two pieces of copper pipe(or something like that) and we held one in each hand. Mr. Voight would turn the voltage up so we could get a feel for what electricity felt like. It did the trick. He taught us how to wire, lights, switches, 3-way switches etc. Stuff a person can use for a lifetime.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:21 AM
BEJ

26 posts, read 60,925 times
Yes, I remember Mr. Voight's "gizmo". Lucky for us he would turn up the voltage slowly. Quite a strange feeling. I think technology wise we were close to year zero. Think I'll pass on the crystal
radio.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:07 AM

12 posts, read 34,318 times
The Lucky Boy I went to in 1950, was at 3rd ave and McDowell, on the N/W corner..
Great burgers....

Old 06-16-2014, 06:19 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,473,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsdalegal8080 View Post
Does anyone know anything about the old Eagle Drug store in downtown phx
The full name was Stult's Eagle Drug. Here's a photo from the 1950s.

Some ads from the 1940s:

I'm not sure why they were selling infra-red lamps - to hatch chickens?

Last edited by Arizona Mike; 06-16-2014 at 06:28 PM..

Old 06-16-2014, 06:34 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,473,933 times
This was an odd, and somewhat ominous, promotion:

There was an Arizona case law decision involving Stults that concerned the Uniformity Clause of the State Constitution: Cox v. Stults Eagle Drug Co., 42 Ariz. 1, 21 P.2d 914 (1933): http://www.steptoe.com/assets/htmldo...D_THE_SAME.pdf

Old 06-16-2014, 09:46 PM

122 posts, read 272,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottybrown602 View Post
My hubs and I are both native to the valley and we need some help on this one: Does anyone remember a place out near Lake Pleasant called Bicuit Flats where the was a big White kinda Moorish looking structure surrounded by palm trees I think we called it the Oasis? It had tall white adobe walls, maybe a sore, or a bar and possibly they sold gas there? I think it may have been west of the 1-17 and South of Carefree Highway..this must have been the era of the late 70's through the 80's and early 90's?

He keeps trying to convince me that am thinking of the Castle Hot Springs Resort, but I know that I am not. This place was not that old historic hotel with the natural rock pool to swim in. It was closer to the lake I seem to recall you could sight it in the distance from either the road.
If anyone knows the place I refer to could you give us headsup, we are obsessing with the google maps and searches, and for whatever reason I am stuck trying to remember it, please let me know if am simply crzy, it really is bugging me...thanks also for a great forum I love it!
Sorry, nothing comes to mind. I can think of places that were either white, kinda Moorish, had adobe walls, with palm trees, and sold gasoline, but not all together. But take comfort in knowing that if you're simply crazy, you're in good company with the rest of us.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:28 AM

13 posts, read 33,455 times
before the carefree hwy was rerouted there was a building that she speaks of out there. I think part of the building is still there right across from the road to the soring school and caynon raceway. I think it is a bar now.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:37 AM

7,167 posts, read 9,219,662 times
There was a bar where the old Lake Pleasant road intersected the Carefree Highway, SE corner, back in 1970. I don't remember the name. This one is there now.

Wild Horse West AZ "where the burgers are the best"

I think they remodeled since then.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:41 AM

16 posts, read 27,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny Haas View Post
before the carefree hwy was rerouted there was a building that she speaks of out there. I think part of the building is still there right across from the road to the soring school and caynon raceway. I think it is a bar now.
was it called the oasis? and does anyone know where the biscuit flats is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area