Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2014, 05:37 AM

218 posts, read 570,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
So sorry to hear that. He gave many many years of enjoyment. May God bless and keep Bill Thompson.
A very sad day. I enjoyed Wallboy, Ladmo and all the rest. I still am not sure what the magic was but it was there and it was great! I met Wallace years ago at an antique show and we talked, he signed his book and it was a good time. I hate to say it but the Nasty Brothers were a real favorite of mine, so funny! I had a lot of chores to do so I would rush home from school and watch as much as I could (if the old TV would work) everyday between tasks. I remember when Ladmo started a campaign to have chocolate milk in all the school drinking fountains. That was a favorite since we didn't see much chocolate milk as kids. It was just plain good fun and I thank Bill Thompson, Ladmo and the rest of the people for the hours of enjoyment so special to kids. It was a bright spot in a tough childhood. God Bless them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 01:18 PM

4 posts, read 9,488 times
Hello-
Ive searched much of the forum and cant find that anyone has asked this. Does anyone know anything about the ruins that are at approx 128 Mountain View Rd, in Sunnyslope? I was told that people have referred to it as Eddie Bashas house? I also was told that the house blew up from a gas leak. Scary trip up there, great view. Any pictures or info?

Old 07-24-2014, 02:44 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,404,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_mc View Post
Hello-
Ive searched much of the forum and cant find that anyone has asked this. Does anyone know anything about the ruins that are at approx 128 Mountain View Rd, in Sunnyslope? I was told that people have referred to it as Eddie Bashas house? I also was told that the house blew up from a gas leak. Scary trip up there, great view. Any pictures or info?

I don't think Eddie Basha Jr. ever lived in that area. Eddie Basha, Sr. might have at some point but I have never heard that story. This doesn't seem to indicate that either Eddie was ever in Sunnyslope. http://www.bashas.com/aboutus/history.aspx

Last edited by observer53; 07-24-2014 at 03:12 PM..

Old 07-24-2014, 04:22 PM

156 posts, read 420,263 times
Sounds like you are referring to an old hospital.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:57 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,474,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_mc View Post
Hello-
It was a large home that burned down in a fire in the 1990s, leaving only the foundation and part of the walls. It's got a great view of the Valley if you hike up there, but the road up to it is no longer maintained by the city and can be a little hairy to drive up, especially in a low-clearance vehicle.

You can see it just to the right of the Sunnyslope "S," between the legs of the billboard here:

You can also see it just about centered between the legs of the billboard here, on the hillock on the eastern slope of Sunnyslope Mountain:

I have the name of the architect and the first owner, but I am out of town and don't have access to it on my laptop, I can check and let you know next week.

The thumbnails show the house in 1997 and currently.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-sunnyslope-home.png   How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-sunnyslope-house-now.png  

Old 07-25-2014, 08:09 AM

4 posts, read 9,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
It was a large home that burned down in a fire in the 1990s, leaving only the foundation and part of the walls. It's got a great view of the Valley if you hike up there, but the road up to it is no longer maintained by the city and can be a little hairy to drive up, especially in a low-clearance vehicle.

You can see it just to the right of the Sunnyslope "S," between the legs of the billboard here:

You can also see it just about centered between the legs of the billboard here, on the hillock on the eastern slope of Sunnyslope Mountain:

I have the name of the architect and the first owner, but I am out of town and don't have access to it on my laptop, I can check and let you know next week.

The thumbnails show the house in 1997 and currently.

Yes that is what I am talking about. We are trying to see if there are any pictures of the house when it was up, and the owner. Definitely a scary drive to the top. Thank You!

Old 07-26-2014, 02:56 PM
BEJ

26 posts, read 60,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jukebox47 View Post
A very sad day. I enjoyed Wallboy, Ladmo and all the rest. I still am not sure what the magic was but it was there and it was great! I met Wallace years ago at an antique show and we talked, he signed his book and it was a good time. I hate to say it but the Nasty Brothers were a real favorite of mine, so funny! I had a lot of chores to do so I would rush home from school and watch as much as I could (if the old TV would work) everyday between tasks. I remember when Ladmo started a campaign to have chocolate milk in all the school drinking fountains. That was a favorite since we didn't see much chocolate milk as kids. It was just plain good fun and I thank Bill Thompson, Ladmo and the rest of the people for the hours of enjoyment so special to kids. It was a bright spot in a tough childhood. God Bless them!

I started with Golddust Charlie back in the 50s, then Wallace Snead and forward from there. What a ride with Wallace and Ladmo. Then Pat McMahon came to the show. What an entertainer !
Dan Horn has posted many short videos on YouTube of Wallace and Ladmo shows.
I truly miss the show and especially its humor and respect for the kids and parents.

Wallboy, Ladmo, and Pat --- We loved you before, we love you now, and we'll love you forever.

Thanks for the REALLY good times.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:19 PM

26 posts, read 68,037 times
I am looking for info on the Mission Dairy that was on 27th Ave just South of Northern on the East side of the street. The Mission Baptist Church is on the site now. The dairy would have closed in the late 1940's or a little later. The road that is now 27th Ave continued North and became the old Black Canyon Road before the current Black Canyon Freeway. The dairy was just South of the old Washington Elementary School.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:25 PM

26 posts, read 68,037 times
This house was only about a block East of Central and Mt View. Some mistakenly are thinking the post refers to the house on the top of the hill just North of Hatcher on 7th Ave. Back in the 60's we thought that it belonged to safeway people or Bashas.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:26 PM

16 posts, read 28,013 times
The house you show up on the hill isn't 128 mountain view, its just northwest of 7th avenue and Mountain View the driveway at the bottom of the hill on the due south side. If I recall the house on the hill belonged to the Newscaster Linda Williams in the 1990's. And yes I have always heard there was a fire up there some time in the past, but I heard it was way earlier than the 1990.s.
I think you may be thinking of the North Mountain Hospital (Monkey Mansion), which sat just above the intersection of Central and Mountain View. It was a popular party spot when it was an abandoned ruin, some crazy parties went on there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area