Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2011, 01:43 PM

220 posts, read 656,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by taharvey View Post
does anybody remember lillias in glendale on 58 dr just south of bethany home? great chili rellenos and killer salsa.
I remember Lillies, just south of the railroad tracks, east of 59th Ave in Glendale .... They always got rave reviews on their food. Ate there a few times. Also La Perla which has been around forever...1946. I still stop in there when my son is in town because he loves the food. We just avoid being there if and when any wandering musicians are there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 03:57 PM

24,299 posts, read 13,142,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertratz View Post
Roosevelt, you're right again as usual. I must have the mental picture of another sign locked up in my head. Now if I can only remember!
West of 68th Street, and Paddock Pools was right next door as well. There was a big deal about the sign when the Roundup drive-in closed... what happened to it?

Old 05-08-2011, 04:41 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,624,616 times
I used to eat at the Alpine Village Inn a lot but the accordion player drove me nuts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	alpine-village-inn 1965.jpg
Views:	1938
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	79621

Click image for larger version

Name:	alpine-village-inn 1965a.jpg
Views:	1504
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	79622

Old 05-08-2011, 05:14 PM

220 posts, read 656,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadmoFan View Post
I used to live near 27th Ave. and Bethany and I do remember the ditches. We were fascinated by the "crayfish" that lived in them and used to try catch them.

I also remember watching the irrigation come in to water everything. You can tell we were desert kids as we were fascinated with water.

I also remember the golf course on Black Canyon Highway not far from either location. That area is now apartments or something like that.

St. Simon and Jude was a simple church until the cathedral was built and we used to use the steeple to walk home from school. If we got lost, we'd just look for the steeple and head home.

On a sad note both sets of grandparents and my sister are buried at the cemetery on 27th Avenue. Boy, I hope I remembered the location right. I can find it by walking there but I haven't been to their graves for a long time. Next time in Phoenix I probably should put flowers at their head stones.

LF
You are correct on Greenwood Memory Lawnl location. Van Buren and 27th Avenue. Actually it's 2300 W. Van Buren.I was just there this morning to lay flowers on my Mother's grave for Mother's Day. I have several family members put to rest there, and that is where I will go when it is time.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:41 PM

20 posts, read 85,967 times

YouTube - Bulls vs. Suns 1993 NBA Finals Game 3 (1/...)

Old 05-08-2011, 10:52 PM

20 posts, read 64,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
I used to eat at the Alpine Village Inn a lot but the accordion player drove me nuts.

Attachment 79621

Attachment 79622
I remeber the Alpine Village on 7 AVE, just North of Camelback too. My wife and I ate there for our sixth wedding anniv in 1972. We spent the next 6 weeks in Scottsdale Hospital being treated in isolation and separate rooms for nearly fatal doses of Hepatitus. (Billirubin counts over 2300!)

We spent the next six months at home trying to "get the yellow out" of our eyes and skin. I was off work for a year because I was always fatiqued and had no strength.

The County Health Dept investigated Alpine Village and found the cook there was infected and had filthy bathroom habits. They closed never to reopen shortly after that.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:09 AM

30 posts, read 101,821 times
Default The Pub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim 1946 View Post
Back in 1970 I worked close to Park Central.
After work I would meet a co-worker (later to become my wife) at a bar that I think I called "The Pub" and thought it was close to where you described Smugglers Inn's location.
Both names sound like they belong together, but I don't remember "The Pub" being in a resturant.
My memory isn't quite what it used to be & I was drinking.

Can anyone give me any information on what I am calling "The Pub"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1937Gal View Post
The Pub, as I recall, was a little cozy joint not IN the shopping center but closer to Osborn Road, on the west side of the street. Sound familiar?
EXACTLY!

Do you or anyone remember the exact address?

Old 05-09-2011, 08:22 AM

97 posts, read 290,614 times
Oh my goodness! I hope you at least got to eat with a two for one coupon. This reminds me of the story that circulated for years about Mag's Ham Bun. It was said that someone was sitting on a butcher block table in the kitchen and a big boil on the hip (or bun) broke. Then the next guy came along and sliced ham right on that spot. A lot of people got sick. I catered a party for the Suns basketball people at the colosium (sp?). 1968-69. BBQ beef was on the menu. We found a nice big piece of beef in the walkin refrig already cooked. Jackpot! We sliced it an served it. What a hit. That piece of meat was waiting to be picked up by Armor Foods because it was suspected to be tainted. No one got sick. Nowadays you need only worry about south of the border TB going on in the kitchen. I'll tell you someday about the mistake I made with the scrambled eggs for a Diocese breakfast in the late 60's. Let's go out to eat!

Old 05-09-2011, 08:37 AM

427 posts, read 1,186,996 times
Quote:
I remember this all very well. Downtown Phoenix WAS where we shopped. I moved to Flagstaff in 1955 just after high school, and one time when I came to Phoenix to shop, I was totally surprised at the new concept of a "shopping mall" which was at Central and Earll..... Park Central. I love my fond memories of hopping a bus to go downtown to shop. I am so old that I remember well the old JC Penny store with the escalator to the basement, JJ Newberrys and FW Woorthworths, the Indians beading on the corner of Central and Washington in front of Walgreens... Then JCPenneys built that fancy department store with that awesome winding around parking garage.
My first summer job was at Woolworths at the notions counter. Money would go into a chute that went upstairs to the bookkeeping department.
This was all still alive and well in the early '60's too...school shopping at Korrick's and Penney's...$0.25 pizza at Woolworth's lunch counter...or was that Newberry's? The old street preacher standing on top of his red station wagon on the corner by Woolworth's shouting salvation. You went to town to shop a couple of times a year and that was it. Thanks for the memories.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:44 AM

427 posts, read 1,186,996 times
Quote:
When Phoenix was growing, we did indeed go to the lettering system for our phone numbers. In our area we were AL for Alpine. We heard tales of someday using the other symbols on the dial pad and I wondered why in the world we would use a # for anything. A great site for seeing wonderful old Phoenix is Phoenix, Arizona vintage old photos, pictures, history, photographs, by Heberlee. Union High School. I donated some photo copies to Ron's collection and he gave me a copy of the phone book page in the 40s for my parents. The number was pre-lettering system.

Exactly! Why did they put the # and * key on those cute little Princess phones...seems like we're pushing # or * for everything these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area