Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2011, 11:13 PM

111 posts, read 338,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertratz View Post
You mean Parry's beer and wine joint, the Casa Loma, the Q and Brew and 6 East didn't have that certain cachet??? Remember the old Library bar that was kinda out in the sticks and the Dash Inn on Apache Blvd?
Does anyone remember Georgia, the--shall I say--somewhat exhibitionistic barmaid at the 6 East in the early seventies? They pay good money to some women to strip in some joints....They had to pay Georgia not to strip when she tended bar, which was a bit too close to the front door for legalistic comfort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 09:03 PM

1 posts, read 3,326 times
Default photo of nielsen radio/gold spot bowling building

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Here is the history of the radio station in front of the Gold Spot bowling alley.
6BBH - KDYM - KFCB - KOY - History
I have a 1927 photo, which I cannot post because the photo does not belong to me, that shows Nielsen Radio Equipment in the front of the building and the bowling alley entrance, a big arrow sign with 'Bowling,' on the side of the building off Pierce St. There are two large towers on the roof with the call letters KFCB. This was listed at 621 north Central. Apparently this was the only bowling alley in Phoenix in those days and was listed as the Nielsen Bowling Alley.
Roosevelt - any chance we can get permission to scan the photo you have of the old gold spot bowling alley/nielsen radio building at central & pierce? The city is restoring the glass blocks in the sidewalk as part of a public art project and will install an interpretive sign and it would be great if we could include a photo of the building on the plaque.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:39 PM

2 posts, read 6,857 times
Smile Otto's Hofbrau at Town and Country Food Bazaar

My parents owned this restaurant at Town and Country Food Bazaar. I have a ton of childhood memories made there. I would love to find any photos of the interior of the Food Bazaar. I have a few shots of the Hofbrau, but none of any other part of the interior of the Food Bazaar. I recall having my first bean and cheese burrito in the Mexican kitchen there! And my father made strudel behind huge glass walls to an audience of amazed onlookers. Those were the days!

Old 12-09-2011, 08:01 AM

24,286 posts, read 13,139,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCFB View Post
My parents owned this restaurant at Town and Country Food Bazaar. I have a ton of childhood memories made there. I would love to find any photos of the interior of the Food Bazaar. I have a few shots of the Hofbrau, but none of any other part of the interior of the Food Bazaar. I recall having my first bean and cheese burrito in the Mexican kitchen there! And my father made strudel behind huge glass walls to an audience of amazed onlookers. Those were the days!
The offerings at the Food Bazaar were way ahead of what passes for a food court at your average mall these days. I remember Otto's quite well. To a 10-year-old it seemed so exotic. There was another place that had the best ham sandwiches (except, of course, for Mag's). In general the T&C Food Bazaar was much more homey than a modern-day mega-mall food court.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:43 PM

427 posts, read 1,186,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertratz View Post
You mean Parry's beer and wine joint, the Casa Loma, the Q and Brew and 6 East didn't have that certain cachet??? Remember the old Library bar that was kinda out in the sticks and the Dash Inn on Apache Blvd?
I remember the Q and Brew, Casa Loma and the Dash Inn...I worked at Hobo Joe's on Apache when I was a senior...wasn't it by Casa Loma or was that somewhere else? I thought the whole "new" Mill Ave. was really nice...I had dinner there last year with some friends and it was so fun walking around...sights and sounds.

Old 12-10-2011, 05:46 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,623,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
The offerings at the Food Bazaar were way ahead of what passes for a food court at your average mall these days. I remember Otto's quite well. To a 10-year-old it seemed so exotic. There was another place that had the best ham sandwiches (except, of course, for Mag's). In general the T&C Food Bazaar was much more homey than a modern-day mega-mall food court.
Meditterranea was my favorite, they had home made Greek food. Others I recall were the Chinese place simply called Peter Fong, and Yum Yum Tree Bakery, Otto's Hofbrau, Bar-B-Q Corral, Spanish Kitchen, Italian Kitchen, Steak 'N Stein. Other places I remember were Russell Stover, Hiro Portraits, Valley Bank, Kaleidoscope, Mister Got Rocks, Wilson Gay Originals, Green Apple, Jersey Girl (was that the place that had models wearing nighties?), Starrett's, Cowboy-Indian Store and Snap Shop. Unicef had a store.
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-town-country-phoenix.jpg

Last edited by roosevelt; 12-10-2011 at 05:56 AM..

Old 12-10-2011, 07:41 PM

2 posts, read 5,255 times
GAH! a 500+ page thread?

THis will take me a while to get thru.

I was trying to find out what ever happened to the Town and Country Phoenix bird sculpture and I landed here.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:16 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC1952 View Post
GAH! a 500+ page thread?

THis will take me a while to get thru.

I was trying to find out what ever happened to the Town and Country Phoenix bird sculpture and I landed here.
Welcome. There's discussion about the bird sculpture in this thread (and on other sources) and about other memories of Phoenix. Use the search function, go to advanced search, set it to show you posts, not threads limit it to Phoenix, and use words like "sculpture", or "Coze", the last name of the man who designed it.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:58 AM

1 posts, read 3,292 times
Default Long ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookieboy View Post
I grew up around 15th ave and T-bird ('69 to '78) and do remember where it was. It had already burned down by then, but my buddies and I took many a hike to the top of the mountain to see what was left. If I remember correctly, there were a few brick walls still standing and the foundation was still intact. There was also an old white car that had gone off that road back in the late 60's that was still hung up on the 19th ave side of the mountain about half way down. That too was a neat thing to hike to back then (at least through the eyes of 10 year old boy anyway).

Glad you brought it up. I had long ago forgotten about that place.
That's about the same time frame that me and my buddies would take our bikes up there.

Remember the castle on 19th ave?

Old 12-11-2011, 05:27 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,623,028 times
Cave Creek, population 300!
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-cave-creek.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area