Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2014, 07:48 AM

16 posts, read 28,024 times

Advertisements

In the 70's there was this little public pool we called it Old Maryvale, I believe it was close to 27th and Missouri, and we always went to Kelllys Drugstore afterwards for candy and pops. Back in those days it was safe for a bunch of young girls to roam our part of the city freely without too much risk or worry, sure wish it was as safe and simple now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 08:20 AM

13 posts, read 33,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
The full name was Stult's Eagle Drug. Here's a photo from the 1950s.

Some ads from the 1940s:

I'm not sure why they were selling infra-red lamps - to hatch chickens?
the photo is 2nd street and Van Buern, the old AZ republic newspaper building to the right. address on the adds 102 s central. guess they had two locations?

Old 06-17-2014, 08:29 AM

1,292 posts, read 3,476,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottybrown602 View Post
My hubs and I are both native to the valley and we need some help on this one: Does anyone remember a place out near Lake Pleasant called Bicuit Flats where the was a big White kinda Moorish looking structure surrounded by palm trees I think we called it the Oasis? It had tall white adobe walls, maybe a sore, or a bar and possibly they sold gas there? I think it may have been west of the 1-17 and South of Carefree Highway..this must have been the era of the late 70's through the 80's and early 90's?

He keeps trying to convince me that am thinking of the Castle Hot Springs Resort, but I know that I am not. This place was not that old historic hotel with the natural rock pool to swim in. It was closer to the lake I seem to recall you could sight it in the distance from either the road.
If anyone knows the place I refer to could you give us headsup, we are obsessing with the google maps and searches, and for whatever reason I am stuck trying to remember it, please let me know if am simply crzy, it really is bugging me...thanks also for a great forum I love it!
Biscuit Flats General Store (it also was an Exxon gas station),was located at the corner of Carefree Highway and the I-17, at 3507 W. Carefree Highway. It was owned by Romina Clemens, at least up to the mid 90s, who bought it from Stanley and Juanita Jurewicz in 1976. The land was annexed into Phoenix as part of the Ben Avery Annexation in 1995. Not sure when it closed.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny Haas View Post
the photo is 2nd street and Van Buern, the old AZ republic newspaper building to the right. address on the adds 102 s central. guess they had two locations?
I was wondering about that, whether they moved location or had two branches?

Old 06-17-2014, 09:38 AM

3,165 posts, read 1,155,815 times
Quote:
The full name was Stult's Eagle Drug. Here's a photo from the 1950s.

Some ads from the 1940s:

I'm not sure why they were selling infra-red lamps - to hatch chickens?
Looks like a major accident going to happen in the post card! Someone making a lefthand turn in front of oncoming traffic. And pedestrians in the crosswalk!!
Crazy drivers back then too

Old 06-17-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowesthand View Post
Looks like a major accident going to happen in the post card! Someone making a lefthand turn in front of oncoming traffic. And pedestrians in the crosswalk!!
Crazy drivers back then too
Maybe it was a subtle commercial for the Greyhound Bus Line pictured in the postcard - "Go Greyhound, and Leave the Driving to Us!"

Old 06-17-2014, 11:29 AM

3,165 posts, read 1,155,815 times
Quote:
Maybe it was a subtle commercial for the Greyhound Bus Line pictured in the postcard - "Go Greyhound, and Leave the Driving to Us!"
good call!

Old 06-17-2014, 01:13 PM

122 posts, read 272,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottybrown602 View Post
was it called the oasis? and does anyone know where the biscuit flats is?
Biscuit Flats is generally the area west of I-17 and north of Carefree Hwy.

Old 06-17-2014, 04:05 PM

12 posts, read 34,344 times
Default Central Ave in the 1950's

I've read most of the stories from all of you, but I didn't see any mention of the Famous Zombies at the Polar Bar drive-in
on Central just South of Thomas. Also the 3 Palms Drive-in on 7th Ave North of Indian School.
I graduated from West High in the 50's and these were the favorite hang outs for the local car clubs

Anybody remember??

Old 06-17-2014, 04:33 PM

7,184 posts, read 9,232,965 times
Did you search the "How do you remember Phoenix" thread? Not sure about zombies but the Polar Bar drive-in was mentioned. Not sure about 3 palms. Both were before my time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area