Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2014, 10:05 AM

220 posts, read 656,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1937Gal View Post
I found the photo but I stand corrected on the Dorris Heyman building. McDonalds was 4050 N. Central while the Dorris building was 4040 N. Central (now a big parking lot, next to Yoshis, Mcdonald's long gone).
Well, the latest on the Mag's Ham Bun and the Nib's has taken some changes. Mag's was actually at 17 W. Indian School, not the SE corner of Central and Indian School. When I check in the 63 phone book for Nib's, I see: 3246 W. Van Buren, 1602 E. Washington, and 638 E. Camelback, so no Nib's in 63 at the SE corner of Central and Indian School. In a fleeting memory, I recall a service station on the east side of the street, Central Ave and either Indian School or Camelback. Anyone recall that in perhaps 59-63?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 09:00 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,475,807 times
Quote:
Well, the latest on the Mag's Ham Bun and the Nib's has taken some changes. Mag's was actually at 17 W. Indian School, not the SE corner of Central and Indian School. When I check in the 63 phone book for Nib's, I see: 3246 W. Van Buren, 1602 E. Washington, and 638 E. Camelback, so no Nib's in 63 at the SE corner of Central and Indian School. In a fleeting memory, I recall a service station on the east side of the street, Central Ave and either Indian School or Camelback. Anyone recall that in perhaps 59-63?
There was a Mobil station further south on the east side of Central at 2831 N. Central (just south of Bob's Big Boy) that my friend's dad owned at that time, but that probably isn't the one you're thinking of. It was Howard's Mobil Service, then bought and renamed Jay's Mobil Service by my friend's pop in 1959. I can't remember for sure where the other gas stations were on Central.

1965:

Old 09-16-2014, 04:37 PM

Default Service Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
There was a Mobil station further south on the east side of Central at 2831 N. Central (just south of Bob's Big Boy) that my friend's dad owned at that time, but that probably isn't the one you're thinking of. It was Howard's Mobil Service, then bought and renamed Jay's Mobil Service by my friend's pop in 1959. I can't remember for sure where the other gas stations were on Central.

1965:
Thanks, Arizona Mike. The station I am recalling was either Indian School or Camelback, on the SE corner and faced Central. Mother in heaven, please cover your eyes.... when I was driving Mother's 1949 Chrysler, I hit the back of a bus. I had a friend who worked at that service station so I pulled in and the bay guys tried to hammer out the dinks and dents.... and put part of the bumper back in place. I thought all was well, went home, parked the car in the double carport and went to sleep. My father came in and woke me up, asked if I was in a wreck. He noticed the "damage" when he pulled into the carport. I confessed, the bus stopped and I didn't... Busted...but he said, bless his heart, "let's not tell your Mother".

Old 09-16-2014, 04:39 PM

Default Nib's...

Quote:
Back to Nibs VS Mags. The restaurant was Nibs.... it was confirmed. At long last, mystery has finally come to rest. Thanks to the Sleuths.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:23 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,624,616 times
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	543
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	136223Let's let Nib's rest in peace. It was at Central and Indian School, but not for very long. Probably middle 60's.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:29 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,624,616 times
Quote:
Here is the gas station in 1954. Chevron, owned by Don Kerr.Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	775
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	136224

The Dorris Heyman building was the Greyhound headquarters at first; the president said he was leaving Phoenix because of the crime. Everything is relative I suppose.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:37 PM

Default Central/Indian School SE corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Here is the gas station in 1954. Chevron, owned by Don Kerr.Attachment 136224

The Dorris Heyman building was the Greyhound headquarters at first; the president said he was leaving Phoenix because of the crime. Everything is relative I suppose.
Roosevelt, thank you so much for this photo of the service station. I have spoken of it but no one in my crowd of yesteryear recalls except for the 2 girls in the car with me when I hit that bus. You always come through, Roosevelt. Always.

Old 09-17-2014, 04:58 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Roosevelt, thank you so much for this photo of the service station. I have spoken of it but no one in my crowd of yesteryear recalls except for the 2 girls in the car with me when I hit that bus. You always come through, Roosevelt. Always.
He is our fearless leader, our Obi-Wan Kenobi. This thread owes a great debt to him.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:29 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,987,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I'm not sure if anyone posted this link before, but here's a website that has a lot of pictures of the Valley Of The Sun. Of course a lot of us, and in some cases, none of us were not around when some of those pictures were taken. Pictures from the time when I was in my childhood in the 1960s, and growing up in the 1970s, bring back memories.

VINTAGE PHOENIX PICTURES!

The website has a very long scroll bar and a lot of pictures, but you can search it for anything you might want to see pictures of using the search box at the top right of the screen. Example, if you want to see Legend City, just type in the text and it'll list an index with thumbnails of the photos that pertain to what you're search for.
Vintage Phoenix has a Facebook page as well that anyone using Facebook should "friend" or "like" or "follow" or whatever the FB lingo is for a page. Fantastic stuff and it's updated almost daily.

Old 09-22-2014, 02:50 PM

53 posts, read 153,063 times
Default What A Surprise!!

I was looking at the Google Images page for Phoenix and what do you know, there's our old house at 1109 N 2nd Street. I lived there between 1950 and 1955.

https://plus.google.com/+Bradhallart...20715277268042

I had always assumed the house had been build by my Grandfather, but no, it was built by my GGF when my Grandfather was only 9.

After we moved out to the orchards on north 7th Street it was sold and and architecture firm built an office on the site. The office was later torn down and the property sits vacant.

Does anyone remember the City of Phoenix pigeon patrol? I was very young, but I can remember people from the city coming out with shotguns and shooting pigeons out of the trees. The neighborhood was almost 50 years old and some of the big houses were converted to boarding houses.

Some of the older residents would come out and carry of the dead birds (I assume to eat) before they could be scooped up by the city workers and thrown in the trash.

Or was I dreaming........

dgsaz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area