Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2010, 04:52 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,866,725 times

Advertisements

I know some of those car dealerships were around in the past, and I even remember some of their commercials.

-- Cal Worthington Dodge - Their TV commercials had a song that went: Go see Cal, Go see Cal, Go see cal.

-- Coulter Cadilac on 12th Street & Camelback has been around for as long as I can remember.

Other dealerships were around for a long time, but unfortunately closed down because of this latest economic recession, 2 of which are:
-- Lou Grubb Chevrolet on 27th Ave & Camelback - Now it's a big dirt lot. I remember Lou Grubb himself used to appear in the commercials, with elevator background music playing, and he spoke in a very polite manner, not like a typical car salesman. He actually was a very nice guy.
-- Mel Clayton Ford on 16th Street & Camelback - It was torn down late last year, and they're building a new Toyota dealership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post
I also remember a golf course on the westside of I-17, north of Bethany Home, but I'm not sure what it was called. It was replaced by apartment complexes in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

It was called the Black Canyon Golf Course. Right next to Saints Simon & Jude Catholic School (where I went until 1965). It butted up against the school on the south side of the parking lot. We used to gather stray golf balls at recess and sell them back to the priests for a dime each.
The school didn't even have a fence separating it from Black Canyon freeway (I-17) Thats how little traffic existed then -hell it ended out by Northern or Dunlap any way.

Rorer Bird Farm was just a bit further up the road north of the school on 27ave.
Thanks, and yes I remember riding my bike by the golf course to look for golf balls just to collect.

Roehr's Bird Farm was around for a long time, up until just 3 or 4 years ago, but the property was cleared, and it's now a dirt lot.

I went to Washington High School on 23rd Ave & Glendale, graduated in 1975, and I remember when the entire perimeter of the school was open, and it remained like that until 8 or 9 years ago, now it's fenced off.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:30 PM

94 posts, read 245,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I know some of those car dealerships were around in the past, and I even remember some of their commercials.

-- Cal Worthington Dodge - Their TV commercials had a song that went: Go see Cal, Go see Cal, Go see cal.

-- Coulter Cadilac on 12th Street & Camelback has been around for as long as I can remember.

Other dealerships were around for a long time, but unfortunately closed down because of this latest economic recession, 2 of which are:
-- Lou Grubb Chevrolet on 27th Ave & Camelback - Now it's a big dirt lot. I remember Lou Grubb himself used to appear in the commercials, with elevator background music playing, and he spoke in a very polite manner, not like a typical car salesman. He actually was a very nice guy.
-- Mel Clayton Ford on 16th Street & Camelback - It was torn down late last year, and they're building a new Toyota dealership.
Lou Grubb was the general manager of the Chev dealership before he took it over. But for the life of me I can't remember the name of it originally. But how about "Pegler's New Dodge City" Home of the $1,799 pickup with 5 tires and wheels". There was some stores that sprang up in the 1960's called "Cost Plus 10". One was at 19th ave and Baseline.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:47 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,003,779 times
I grew up around Glendale. Also around 7av and Northern. I went to Washington Grade School, Orangewood Grade School, and Washington High School.
I could as a 11 yr old and older hunt in my backyard for dove and quail. I even carried a handgun(ruger .22) to school to explain how it works.
I remember CARNATION ICE CREAM on ? Central Ave, the ?Palm Threater, Mag's Ham on a Bun, Papa ? Mexican restaurant on central, going to Cave Creek at some little old restaurant for T-Bone Steak for a $1.10.
Jesh....
BUt WE ARE goin to look at moving back to AZ, God Bless AZ, maybe around Chandler.

Many Many memories.

Oh, and the Sweet Smell of Orange Blossoms..
HW and Suninhair

Old 05-19-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Larry View Post
Lou Grubb was the general manager of the Chev dealership before he took it over. But for the life of me I can't remember the name of it originally. But how about "Pegler's New Dodge City" Home of the $1,799 pickup with 5 tires and wheels". There was some stores that sprang up in the 1960's called "Cost Plus 10". One was at 19th ave and Baseline.
Thanks I didn't know that about Lou Grubb, and I remember the dealership didn't become Lou Grubb until 1973 or so. I also can't remember the name before it was changed to Lou Grubb.

Pegler's New Dodge City.. The name doesn't ring a bell. How long was it around until? When pick-ups with 5 tires and wheels cost almost $1,800, that must have been before I was born in October of 1956.

I know Bill Luke Chrysler/Plymouth, now Bill Luke Chrysler/Dodge, has been around for a long time at the same location at I-17 and Camelback. There were a coupe of other dealerships east of I-17 to 23rd Ave, but I don't think they're around anymore, I think they moved to other locations.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:03 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,624,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Larry View Post
Rudolph Chevrolet was before Lou Grubb. Rudolph used to be downtown on Adams and 4th Street, right near Jarrett's Hardware store with their four huge old brass cash registers on a platform in the center of the store.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:28 PM

537 posts, read 1,545,618 times
Hi Roosevelt. Before it was Rudolph Chevrolet wasn't it Quebedoux? Kay-ba-dough. Remember Money Oldsmobile and Burns Money Buick? I think Quebedoux continued on in Tucson. I'll have to check the spelling on that name. Dodge City was on Camelback. Read Mullen Ford. Coulter Cadillac was the first Caddy dealer wasn't it? Mike Salta Pontiac became Westward Pontiac. Right on the price and right on the corner of north 7th. St. and Highland. I don't have much recollection of Nash or Rambler dealers. Evan Mecham?

Old 05-19-2010, 06:30 PM

537 posts, read 1,545,618 times
Lou Grubb's nickname was Low-ball Louie.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Rudolph Chevrolet was before Lou Grubb. Rudolph used to be downtown on Adams and 4th Street, right near Jarrett's Hardware store with their four huge old brass cash registers on a platform in the center of the store.

Yes, thank you. I just could not come up with it.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Thanks I didn't know that about Lou Grubb, and I remember the dealership didn't become Lou Grubb until 1973 or so. I also can't remember the name before it was changed to Lou Grubb.

Pegler's New Dodge City.. The name doesn't ring a bell. How long was it around until? When pick-ups with 5 tires and wheels cost almost $1,800, that must have been before I was born in October of 1956.

I know Bill Luke Chrysler/Plymouth, now Bill Luke Chrysler/Dodge, has been around for a long time at the same location at I-17 and Camelback. There were a coupe of other dealerships east of I-17 to 23rd Ave, but I don't think they're around anymore, I think they moved to other locations.
Pegler was on Camelback. In the 1960's they sold Dodge pickups with 6 cyl engine, 3 speed trans, no radio, one sun visor (drivers side) rubber floor mats, short narrow bed with a spare for $1,800. I don't know exactly what years.

I remember another TV commercial for a place called Carpet Time. I think the address was 1205 E Indian School??? Some guy (had an accent) would have the carpet hanging and beat the crap out of it with a pointer he had to demonstrate how durable the carpet was. Used to crack me up. Anybody remember that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area