Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2014, 08:41 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,085,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
Back in the mid-1980s when I was going to ASU my then-girlfriend (and now wife) and I hung out with our friends at Ninth and Ash as our regular watering hole. I may have run into you there, Chaparrito. (If so, Hey! Good to see you again!).
I moved from the valley in 78, so we missed each other by a few. I did return and spend a few grad school summers at ASU in 80-82 and lived in the same house with a pal. By then I was just a customer at 9th and Ash. We mighta rubbed shoulders but I never made your drink. Great pictures by the way. Thanks!

BTW, did you know that place is haunted? When my son and I stopped in there last year I asked the bartender if they still had their resident ghost and she confirmed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 08:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottybrown602 View Post
My hubs and I are both native to the valley and we need some help on this one: Does anyone remember a place out near Lake Pleasant called Bicuit Flats where the was a big White kinda Moorish looking structure surrounded by palm trees I think we called it the Oasis? It had tall white adobe walls, maybe a sore, or a bar and possibly they sold gas there? I think it may have been west of the 1-17 and South of Carefree Highway..this must have been the era of the late 70's through the 80's and early 90's?

He keeps trying to convince me that am thinking of the Castle Hot Springs Resort, but I know that I am not. This place was not that old historic hotel with the natural rock pool to swim in. It was closer to the lake I seem to recall you could sight it in the distance from either the road.
If anyone knows the place I refer to could you give us headsup, we are obsessing with the google maps and searches, and for whatever reason I am stuck trying to remember it, please let me know if am simply crzy, it really is bugging me...thanks also for a great forum I love it!
It was called the Oasis, at least for a while. Not sure about now, but I first went there in the late 80s when I rode my bicycle to Lake Pleasant. Since they redid the intersection of Carefree Highway and 99th Ave...I mean Lake Pleasant Road in 2000, you don't just pass it anymore; you have to want to go there. It still shows up on aerials with cars in the parking lot though. I haven't been there in at least 10 years

There used to be a car race track, a western themed place and a glider airport. I think the only thing left is the glider airport.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:14 AM

1,292 posts, read 3,475,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaparrito View Post
I moved from the valley in 78, so we missed each other by a few. I did return and spend a few grad school summers at ASU in 80-82 and lived in the same house with a pal. By then I was just a customer at 9th and Ash. We mighta rubbed shoulders but I never made your drink. Great pictures by the way. Thanks!

BTW, did you know that place is haunted? When my son and I stopped in there last year I asked the bartender if they still had their resident ghost and she confirmed it.
I've heard stories over the years about Casey Moore's -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKBL-QMw-Lo

Old 06-28-2014, 08:04 AM

2 posts, read 4,098 times
Default 1960's Phoenix movie People Trap

I remember this movie so well. I was an extra. We shot at Encanto Park, the bank on Osborn (that was so high tech and futuristic) even downtown. Was the most fun ever. I miss Phoenix, and although I've been gone 40 years, it will always be home.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:57 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,085,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
I've heard stories over the years about Casey Moore's -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKBL-QMw-Lo
Thanks for that! The layout of the building has changed since I worked there, but there used to be an emergency exit door on the left side of the bldg. as you face it from the front. Many times after hours when closing either alone or with maybe one other cocktail waitress I'd hear what could be footsteps on the stairs followed by that door opening on it's own. I'd have to go shut it. It happened sometimes 2 or 3 times before I'd get done cleaning the bar. The door was never found open in the a.m. though so it was as if the spook was just having fun with us. Got to where it wasn't scary at all. I never saw the girl but know quite a few who did.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:29 AM

60 posts, read 142,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallredhead View Post
I remember this movie so well. I was an extra. We shot at Encanto Park, the bank on Osborn (that was so high tech and futuristic) even downtown. Was the most fun ever. I miss Phoenix, and although I've been gone 40 years, it will always be home.
I also was an extra in this made for TV movie. I was in group of people "jostling" Stuart Whitman. This scene was being filmed next to a high rise residential apartment building on N. Central called the Embassy House (or something like that --my parents later lived there). I remember the director of the movie telling Whitman to move left. Instead, he moved right. My friend Alan yelled out "your other left." Another scene involved a double for Whitman scaling the building. The filming took all night and I hadn't told my parents I was going to do this. When I got home the following morning, they were very upset and furious at me. I later saw the movie on TV when I was going to school in Chicago. It wasn't a very good movie. The special effects were really cheesy. I remember a prop that was a big box made up to look like some kind of futuristic machine with colored buttons on the front. To make the button appear to light up there was a guy standing behind it with a flashlight that he moved back and forth.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaparrito View Post

I lived in an apartment next door to the house at 9th and Ash in 1968-69 while I was attending ASU. The apartment was owned by the same couple who owned the 9th and Ash house. I knew the architecture students who were renting the house and I was in it several times. I never heard anything about the house being haunted. Coincidentally, much later I helped out the owner of Casey Moore's (David Arkules) with some zoning issues he had with the property. His dad, Bud, was a friend of mine.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsdalegal8080 View Post
The Lucky Boy I went to in 1950, was at 3rd ave and McDowell, on the N/W corner..
Great burgers....
I used to regularly hang out at this Lucky Boy when I attending West in the early 60s (I graduated in '65).
I've read all the posts in this thread and they have brought back some wonderful memories. Here are some places I fondly remember in "Vanished Phoenix" (to paraphrase Martha Summer Hays) that have not previously been discussed in this thread:
-Kelly's (was in the building formerly the Golden Drumstick)-this restaurant had great live jazz
-The Branding Iron (building later occupied by the Mason Jar I believe)-Dick Robinson and the Make Believers played there for years. My friend Patty Dowling's father played in the band. The Make Believers all were good musicians, but their specialty was lip synching Stan Freeburg records like "Dragnet." They used to come on Wallace and Ladmo and do their routines
-Arizona Ranch House Inn (on Central north of Camelback next to Rancho Solano subdivision)-great live music and good food
-Stein and Sirloin (on Central just north of St. Francis church in one of two buildings owned by Elias Romley (Rick's dad) that also housed the Arizona Hi-Fi House)-a serving line buffet style restaurant that had great food and really outstanding live music
-Tony Hart's Band Box (19th Avenue and Campbell, later a topless bar)- great live music; Nadine Jansen played there for years
-Giavanni's (around 12th St. and Indian School)-an Italian restaurant that had live music; Lou Garno played there for years
-The Intimate Interlude (east Indian School)-Joe Pyne broadcast over KUPD from there in the early '60s; Joe had really strange guests (who he hilariously ridiculed) like Michael X. Barton, who believed in flying saucers and people inhabiting the bowels of the earth
-Lederman (across from Central High), Otto Stein's (on e. McDowell near Good Sam) & Quick's (on Central near KTAR studio)- music stores that I frequented
-Sandy's Records (on Monroe between Central and 1st Street)-absolutely the best record store in town at the time
-TV Leo's (Tower Plaza)-appliance store that carried a good selection of records
-Pepper Tree (7th Ave. and Thomas)- a "food bazaar" type restaurant
-Buddy's (Tempe Center)- THE hangout for ASU students in the '60s
-Bo-Jo's (Rural south of University)-you could get a 10" pizza there for 35 cents in the late 60s!
-Buckboard (Scottsdale Road and either McDowell or Thomas)-great buffet at an affordable price
-Fisher Drugs (on Grand Avenue near Downtown and near 19th Avenue and Camelback I think)
-The Blue Grotto (7th Avenue and Roosevelt)-pretty good food
-Rocky's Hideaway (in a hotel on Maryland west of 7th Avenue)-ok food; allegedly had mob connections

Old 06-28-2014, 02:12 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,475,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallredhead View Post
There was a copy of the movie on YouTube a few years back, but it's been removed since then, and no DVD or VHS copies seem to be available. A friend was in the scene where the race begins, which was filmed at Celebrity / Star Theater, and I remember they used the (fairly recently built) Phoenix Financial Center as a slum building.

It was based on a short story by Robert Sheckley, which Stephen King has acknowledged as an influence on his novel "The Running Man," and which itself was adapted as a movie starring Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Old 06-28-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applegate8 View Post
I also was an extra in this made for TV movie. I was in group of people "jostling" Stuart Whitman. This scene was being filmed next to a high rise residential apartment building on N. Central called the Embassy House (or something like that --my parents later lived there). I remember the director of the movie telling Whitman to move left. Instead, he moved right. My friend Alan yelled out "your other left." Another scene involved a double for Whitman scaling the building. The filming took all night and I hadn't told my parents I was going to do this. When I got home the following morning, they were very upset and furious at me. I later saw the movie on TV when I was going to school in Chicago. It wasn't a very good movie. The special effects were really cheesy. I remember a prop that was a big box made up to look like some kind of futuristic machine with colored buttons on the front. To make the button appear to light up there was a guy standing behind it with a flashlight that he moved back and forth.
The high rise was actually called the Regency House, at 2323 N. Central.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area