Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 11:09 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARV423 View Post
I live on 67th and Baseline, sorry its just someone basically saying I live in the slums, I understand its more of a middle class suburb but just sit at the corner of 51st and Baseline in the morning on a weekend, you do see a lot of normal newer average cars, but then you see Range Rovers, Bummers, etc. Go to the Starbucks in the plaza on 51st and Baseline it feels like an average middle/ upper-middle class suburb, the people are seemingly normal and sane, 35th and Southern isn't a good area by any means, I consider Laveen more like 43rd/southern to 75th/Dobbins the farther west in Laveen the better IMO, I work in the mortgage industry which has been growing rapidly because of places like Laveen which are going immensely. Sadly its coming to an end, and the housing market is stabilizing and becoming a steady slow trending market, so I'm being laid off from my $80k salary, but I have other offers, anyways this isn't going to be the next Maryvale, I think this will end up just another slightly above average suburb.

Southern/ 35th Ave is more South Phoenix you don't see that stuff over here in the more upscale areas of Laveen
Those are the pimps and the drug dealers' cars. I lived in a new development in the south Phoenix area myself once and we all thought that it was going to improve. It did not. What happened and what I think will happen to Laveen area is that people like you with a growing career and a decent income just get tired of the stigma people place on where you live. Add to that the fact that it is mostly starter homes. You move up (and out) when you get the chance and your neighborhood just goes to renters and losers. I had a colleague who bought in the area of 43d Ave and Thomas back in the 1980s. It was just the same as the Laveen you are describing but "whiter" and with more young professionals. Desert Sky mall was the jewel of the neighborhood. Look at that area today. Laveen may be an appropriate place to start out, but it will not be the place you will want to end up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 11:20 AM

31 posts, read 71,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Those are the pimps and the drug dealers' cars. I lived in a new development in the south Phoenix area myself once and we all thought that it was going to improve. It did not. What happened and what I think will happen to Laveen area is that people like you with a growing career and a decent income just get tired of the stigma people place on where you live. Add to that the fact that it is mostly starter homes. You move up (and out) when you get the chance and your neighborhood just goes to renters and losers. I had a colleague who bought in the area of 43d Ave and Thomas back in the 1980s. It was just the same as the Laveen you are describing but "whiter" and with more young professionals. Desert Sky mall was the jewel of the neighborhood. Look at that area today. Laveen may be an appropriate place to start out, but it will not be the place you will want to end up.

I like how you pull the "white card" so there are thousands of pimps and drug dealers, i must be one driving a Rover Sport, thats awfully funny because i see those luxury cars heading in the same direction as me everyday downtown to business areas, they are building dozens of new communities out here so i think we have at least 10-15 years before that happens if it does. I think Laveen may end up a bit different hopefully, i want to stay in Laveen if the area doesnt go downhill. I plan to offer my landlord tobuy the home in a few years depending on the area, but having seen what happens over time working in this industy for awhile i think this may be an exception

Old 08-23-2013, 11:23 AM

1,220 posts, read 1,595,482 times
Well I gotta do a bunch of not so fun busy work this weekend. I'll bring my laptop to that Starbucks on 51st and baseline get work done, sip some pikes place and feel the vibe than get to know the real Laveen a little. I feel you on people calling your town a slum. I recall hanging out at bars in coastal beach areas of sd. Talking to people over a beer and as soon as I said I am from El Cajon I would usually get a response like "oh...." Or " yeah, I don't go there it's too crazy. So on and so forth. Than even though I was dressed nice had a nice vehicle enough money to pay for those over priced drinks I was still judged. Ignorance can be so frustrating at times. My home was beautiful and I never had any issues in my neiborhood. And plenty of benzes and beamers were in town as well . You have a good day and good luck through the layoff. Sounds like you got something lined up which is great! I ruined my credit pretty good after my layoff a few years ago. Thankfully you aren't going to have the same issues.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcajones View Post
Well I gotta do a bunch of not so fun busy work this weekend. I'll bring my laptop to that Starbucks on 51st and baseline get work done, sip some pikes place and feel the vibe than get to know the real Laveen a little. I feel you on people calling your town a slum. I recall hanging out at bars in coastal beach areas of sd. Talking to people over a beer and as soon as I said I am from El Cajon I would usually get a response like "oh...." Or " yeah, I don't go there it's too crazy. So on and so forth. Than even though I was dressed nice had a nice vehicle enough money to pay for those over priced drinks I was still judged. Ignorance can be so frustrating at times. My home was beautiful and I never had any issues in my neiborhood. And plenty of benzes and beamers were in town as well . You have a good day and good luck through the layoff. Sounds like you got something lined up which is great! I ruined my credit pretty good after my layoff a few years ago. Thankfully you aren't going to have the same issues.
Haha hope you have a better feel of the area, I know i am grateful to have something lined up, my credit is still suffering from my layoff in 2008 being a broker and all haha

Old 08-23-2013, 11:29 AM

1,220 posts, read 1,595,482 times
Quote:
The pimps and drug dealers cars statement just killed any good point you make on this topic from here on out [mod cut-personal attack] I'll tell
you this, 43rd and Thomas is a horrible area. I looked into that area about a year ago when I was looking for somewhere to make my move from San Diego. Actually looked into quite a few before deciding on tempe than ended up on the tempe Mesa border.

Last edited by observer53; 08-23-2013 at 12:42 PM..

Old 08-23-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARV423 View Post
I like how you pull the "white card" so there are thousands of pimps and drug dealers, i must be one driving a Rover Sport, thats awfully funny because i see those luxury cars heading in the same direction as me everyday downtown to business areas, they are building dozens of new communities out here so i think we have at least 10-15 years before that happens if it does. I think Laveen may end up a bit different hopefully, i want to stay in Laveen if the area doesnt go downhill. I plan to offer my landlord tobuy the home in a few years depending on the area, but having seen what happens over time working in this industy for awhile i think this may be an exception
Geez. I thought you all were sharp enough to pick up on a smart-azz satirical remark. I thought wrong. Here: I WAS KIDDING!!!!

As for the decline of Laveen, yes, 10-15 years is about right. But the direction it will go is down and it will never be considered a move up/sought after place to live. There are just too many better choices in the valley for people to "take a chance" on than Laveen. Sorry.

There are some expensive homes and well to do people UP THE HILL in Laveen and the nice cars may well be theirs (though I am not willing to concede a clear correlation between car driven and income). The Laveen I am talking about is not that Laveen but the one with the starter McMansions on the tiny lots along Baseline, Lower Buckeye, Southern etc that popped up over night during the boom.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 08-23-2013 at 12:37 PM..

Old 08-23-2013, 01:42 PM

582 posts, read 1,482,255 times
I wouldn't go as far to say the luxury cars mostly represent pimps and drug dealers cars. My female friend who owns a legitimate business has 2 Mercedes and a nice house there. California is full of BMW's, Mercedes and Lexuses. That doesn't mean people are rich. Many are used. Imports are just more popular there. Who cares about the cars. What is the difference in shopping at the Fry's on 51st Ave and Baseline or Wal Mart on Southern and 35th Ave, and one in Gilbert? Racial diversity isn't it?

I am a person of color, AA, and we are going through a cultural shift in this country which is negatively provoked politically by one party. A more multicultural demographic which will be eventually forcing white Americans to exist in a blended society compared to a white dominated one is somewhat scary to some.

Laveen is that prototype area in the Phoenix metro. I heavily welcome newer homes in areas with the racial mix that Laveen has. I can't wait until the entire metro looks like that racially, with more people of color enjoying the level of wealth that whites have.

I don't understand the problems here. I go all over the valley. I shop in any store I am near. Again,what is wrong with the Frys on Baseline and 51st Ave? What is wrong with the Wal- Mart on 35th Ave and Southern. They are both modern and clean stores. No one has ever hassled me in the store or the parking lots.

This negative talk here in Phoenix about bad areas and safety really needs to stop. What is really being said is that Laveen is scary for white residents or potential residents because of it's proximity to mainstream South Phoenix, and because it has a higher than average number of non white residents, which is scary to many white people.

But no one wants top correct the discriminatory practices that led to minorities having less wealth than whites.

Let me tell you something. For all the white people who want a newer home and who have a lower budget. Move to Laveen and things will change. Latinos and Blacks aren't out to get you. Sure there are some gang issues nearby. But that exists everywhere. Create some community programs to provide opportunities for these youth. Make the area thrive. Get involved in the neighborhoods.

Much of the curtailed growth and lack of services in Laveen you are referring to BuckeyeBoy DJ, was fueled by the near depression and collapse of the housing market that occurred a year before Obama became president. You have all your basic shopping nearby. And yes, Desert Sky Mall is the closest mall, but it would be better if white people would stop being afraid to shop in the area because of the lack of a white majority, and mix in. A mall is only as good as the patrons. I shop there off and on with no problem.

You want Laveen to improve and the area to grow? More educated whites need to move in and get involved in the community. Realize that your black and brown middle class neighbors can be your friends, and only a handful of people of color are actually out to rob you or anyone else. Queen Creek is a iffy place by many people's standards, but because it is heavily white, it gets minimal negative discussion. And it is a loooong way from many things. Laveen is closer to the hub of the city.

If you work in Central Phoenix, it is a good spot to live in.

The root of all of these posts is white fear of being in an area where they are not the dominant race isn't it? BuckeyeBoyDJ you can comment on an area, but you ARE NOT afraid to patronize an area because it it is not a majority white place. I am sure as a person of color, there are some places you go in areas which are predominately non white, and other places you go that are virtually all white. Many white people don't feel that level of flexibility.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwitgr13 View Post
I wouldn't go as far to say the luxury cars mostly represent pimps and drug dealers cars. My female friend who owns a legitimate business has 2 Mercedes and a nice house there. California is full of BMW's, Mercedes and Lexuses. That doesn't mean people are rich. Many are used. Imports are just more popular there. Who cares about the cars. What is the difference in shopping at the Fry's on 51st Ave and Baseline or Wal Mart on Southern and 35th Ave, and one in Gilbert? Racial diversity isn't it?

I am a person of color, AA, and we are going through a cultural shift in this country which is negatively provoked politically by one party. A more multicultural demographic which will be eventually forcing white Americans to exist in a blended society compared to a white dominated one is somewhat scary to some.

Laveen is that prototype area in the Phoenix metro. I heavily welcome newer homes in areas with the racial mix that Laveen has. I can't wait until the entire metro looks like that racially, with more people of color enjoying the level of wealth that whites have.

I don't understand the problems here. I go all over the valley. I shop in any store I am near. Again,what is wrong with the Frys on Baseline and 51st Ave? What is wrong with the Wal- Mart on 35th Ave and Southern. They are both modern and clean stores. No one has ever hassled me in the store or the parking lots.

This negative talk here in Phoenix about bad areas and safety really needs to stop. What is really being said is that Laveen is scary for white residents or potential residents because of it's proximity to mainstream South Phoenix, and because it has a higher than average number of non white residents, which is scary to many white people.

But no one wants top correct the discriminatory practices that led to minorities having less wealth than whites.

Let me tell you something. For all the white people who want a newer home and who have a lower budget. Move to Laveen and things will change. Latinos and Blacks aren't out to get you. Sure there are some gang issues nearby. But that exists everywhere. Create some community programs to provide opportunities for these youth. Make the area thrive. Get involved in the neighborhoods.

Much of the curtailed growth and lack of services in Laveen you are referring to BuckeyeBoy DJ, was fueled by the near depression and collapse of the housing market that occurred a year before Obama became president. You have all your basic shopping nearby. And yes, Desert Sky Mall is the closest mall, but it would be better if white people would stop being afraid to shop in the area because of the lack of a white majority, and mix in. A mall is only as good as the patrons. I shop there off and on with no problem.

You want Laveen to improve and the area to grow? More educated whites need to move in and get involved in the community. Realize that your black and brown middle class neighbors can be your friends, and only a handful of people of color are actually out to rob you or anyone else. Queen Creek is a iffy place by many people's standards, but because it is heavily white, it gets minimal negative discussion. And it is a loooong way from many things. Laveen is closer to the hub of the city.

If you work in Central Phoenix, it is a good spot to live in.

The root of all of these posts is white fear of being in an area where they are not the dominant race isn't it? BuckeyeBoyDJ you can comment on an area, but you ARE NOT afraid to patronize an area because it it is not a majority white place. I am sure as a person of color, there are some places you go in areas which are predominately non white, and other places you go that are virtually all white. Many white people don't feel that level of flexibility.
I agree with you completely, the area is growing and getting better this is an upper middle class area with cultural diversity, Laveen's median income is about $70,000 give or take a few grand, the only reason there are some lower income residents is because they moved her during the market collapse, and the low income renters can't afford it here much longer with prices going up so I feel good about this area

Old 08-23-2013, 02:02 PM

582 posts, read 1,482,255 times
Quote:
I am very familiar with the Maryvale area. Maryvale golf course had one of the best junior golf programs in the state in the 70's, which I was part of. But it was always a more working/middle class white area. By the 80's it had already reached it's peak and was starting a slow decline. And the houses were smaller and lacked the better stock that some of Laveen has. Desert Sky Mall never was built to be more than a middle class mall. West Phoenix was more average joes.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober13 View Post
I am very familiar with the Maryvale area. Maryvale golf course had one of the best junior golf programs in the state in the 70's, which I was part of. But it was always a more working/middle class white area. By the 80's it had already reached it's peak and was starting a slow decline. And the houses were smaller and lacked the better stock that some of Laveen has. Desert Sky Mall never was built to be more than a middle class mall. West Phoenix was more average joes.
I agree that the Laveen housing stock is of better quality. Back in the day, JF Long was about the only builder of significance in the west Valley and Maryvale in particular. In Laveen, you have pretty much the same builders as in any other area with the exception of the high end guys like Toll Bros. maybe. Also, the HOAs in Laveen are much better than anything Maryvale had. If the HOAs stay together after the developer moves on, it could really help with the longevity of the development as a desirable community. Trash, broken down vehicles, unkept "lawns" and such chase buyers away and move the community toward decline. I go to Laveen fairly frequently as we have relatives that live there. The subdivision we go to seems as clean and as attractive as any other community I have been in with the possible exception of a lot of cars parked on the streets at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area