Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 08:40 PM

397 posts, read 604,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
On top of it, land is getting harder to find because a) Phoenix is beginning to run out of it in many places (especially the SE Valley) and b) landowners seem to still think we're in the midst of the "rise" part of the cycle. Well, in a way they're partly right because they are helping to create pent-up demand since builders can't make deals pencil. Still, appreciation is beginning to flatten out and some are predicting negative for 2016. I think they're wrong and prices will still rise, especially since job growth is still outpacing population growth in Phoenix.
This is anecdotal but it seems like many of the new developments in south Chandler have tiny yards. DH and were just discussing it and we wondered if it's because land is getting scarce here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 09:40 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,302,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTW2013 View Post
This is anecdotal but it seems like many of the new developments in south Chandler have tiny yards. DH and were just discussing it and we wondered if it's because land is getting scarce here.
There are some developments with larger yards. Maracay at Layton Lakes, Standard Pacific at Calabria, Ashton Woods on Riggs, a new development near Chandler Heights and Cooper by Maracay as well. By larger I mean 10,800-12,500 SF type lots. There's also a new subdivision within Layton Lakes with acre homesites going in (across from the under construction Sprout's).

Problem is, the cost of the land is so high these houses on the 1/4 are selling for well over $500k with options before even putting in a pool, and builders are more price point conscious, so there's more of the sub-8,400 SF lots available to have a price point that appeals to the masses. So there are larger lots available, you just have to open the checkbook

Old 02-20-2016, 06:59 AM

939 posts, read 2,385,968 times
I think it really depends upon where you live. The area where I am looking has over 24 months of inventory. Look at this information from the Cromford Daily Report on Thursday. It's a buyers market in many areas. I think sellers should expect to see modest to no increases in real estate, unless they are living in very specific areas and specific price points. I'm not saying doom and gloom at all, but people should have realistic expectations that there won't be significant (or any) increases year after year.

Cromford Report Daily

Old 02-20-2016, 07:40 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,757,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige65 View Post
I think it really depends upon where you live. The area where I am looking has over 24 months of inventory. Look at this information from the Cromford Daily Report on Thursday. It's a buyers market in many areas. I think sellers should expect to see modest to no increases in real estate, unless they are living in very specific areas and specific price points. I'm not saying doom and gloom at all, but people should have realistic expectations that there won't be significant (or any) increases year after year.

Cromford Report Daily
It would be interesting to slice this data a little differently. I'd like to see urban and nearby zip codes versus strictly suburban bedroom city type of zip codes. The appreciation in and around downtown Phoenix for example seems to have vastly outpaced nearly all suburban areas. But I have not seen facts that prove that out, just observations on selling prices, demand, news articles etc...

Old 02-20-2016, 10:41 AM

939 posts, read 2,385,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
It would be interesting to slice this data a little differently. I'd like to see urban and nearby zip codes versus strictly suburban bedroom city type of zip codes. The appreciation in and around downtown Phoenix for example seems to have vastly outpaced nearly all suburban areas. But I have not seen facts that prove that out, just observations on selling prices, demand, news articles etc...
Scroll down to February 17th on the link above and you will see that you are right about certain zips in Phoenix.

Old 02-20-2016, 10:57 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,064,165 times
Thanks for this encouraging news re: our Phoenix RE market. Like I've always said, the crazier home prices in Southern CA get, the more desirable Phoenix becomes IMO. The Phoenix residential market is a bargain in my opinion, excluding many parts of the south which are also good values (Texas, example)

Young families with kids can't make it in So. Cal- houses cost 1/2 million! Our biggest negative is extreme heat for 4 months.

Old 02-20-2016, 11:08 AM

604 posts, read 937,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
Thanks for this encouraging news re: our Phoenix RE market. Like I've always said, the crazier home prices in Southern CA get, the more desirable Phoenix becomes IMO. The Phoenix residential market is a bargain in my opinion, excluding many parts of the south which are also good values (Texas, example)

Young families with kids can't make it in So. Cal- houses cost 1/2 million! Our biggest negative is extreme heat for 4 months.
Evidence shows 22,000 Californians moved to AZ last year.

Old 02-20-2016, 12:47 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,064,165 times
[quote=GeneR;43080467]Evidence shows 22,000 Californians moved to AZ last year.[/quote

I don't doubt it. I was one of those thousands who left in 2012. Sad thing is, it was once such a nice place. Like the the Eagles song said, "You call someplace paradise, kiss it goodbye."

Old 02-20-2016, 08:41 PM

397 posts, read 604,699 times
It's interesting when it's broken out by zip code and not what I would have expected. In particular, I'm looking at South Chandler which supposedly has lower than average appreciation. Perhaps it has lower than average appreciation because housing prices are higher than average in that area? I've read that the hottest market now is in the sub $250K range and there's hardly anything below $250k in South Chandler.

Old 02-21-2016, 08:02 AM

784 posts, read 925,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
I received a form letter from a local RE Agent on my door asking if I was thinking of selling...apparently he has 3 families looking for homes in our area. Pretty sure it is just a scam to get you to list with him but I pulled the MLS for our zip and there are not that many for sale. Active listings...unfiltered for AZ looks like 22,857? Not sure if this service is ALL of AZ or no cause some listings do come up for non Maricopa addresses.

Spent last week at our place in Peoria, north of Bell Rd, was very surprised at how many houses have come onto the market since the month before.....haven't seen that many properties for sale in this area since 2011-2012.....most are over 300K.

Just ran a check on Redfin......last 30 days....there are a lot of new listings.....most alerts I've been getting are also showing a reduction in price.

Historically doesn't the prices start moving up at this time of the year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area