Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 05:46 PM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,788,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadmoFan View Post
Have up ducts installed when you have the evaporative cooling added. You can run the cooler with the windows closed.

LF
Brand name: Up-dux They not only vent the air, they cool your attic.
Up dux Automatic Ceiling Vents

LadmoFan, where have you been?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 07:46 PM

551 posts, read 1,589,917 times
I have never seen the named spelled out so I appreciate the education. I am an older woman who depends on the mechanical types to take care of such things. It pays to marry a mechanical engineer to keep you out of trouble.

Our second house came with the up dux installed so I didn't have to worry about trying to find and purchase them.

Also, it pays to buy a house vented for evaporative cooling aka swampie as you can run AC through the system much cheaper. We added the AC about two years ago and that's how I learned that...

LF
High desert of Calif and Arizona native (even kissed by Barry Goldwater when I was about 8 weeks old) and proud of it!

Old 04-24-2008, 11:36 AM

18 posts, read 67,238 times
I just got a dog named Bob and he's a barker. He can tell you if the price is right.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:53 AM

523 posts, read 1,282,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
Are you serious?? Leave your windows open overnight in Phoenix....or for that matter, any city??! Very few places are left, where you can actually do that anymore.
Detroit is the most dangerous city yet I know dozens of people who live there AND keep their windows open at night. Lots of them would roll their eyes if they read this thread.

All you need is an alert dog (or alarm sensors for your windows) to wake you up to any problems. Geez!! I think some people actually CHOOSE to live in fear instead of grabbing life by the b*lls. I'm not talking about being "safe." If any of you think a pane of glass is keeping you "safe" you live in fantasy land. It's a false sense of security. So, let me get this straight, you shut and lock your windows because keeping them open will allow intruders access? Okay, fine...so what do you do at 3:30 am when you hear a window smash?? Pick up your phone and dial 911 and WAIT for help to come and "save you?" I'd much rather have a dog or two and a gun or super-loud panic alarm that will wake up the dead. I'm not depending on the police, I could be dead by the time they arrive.

(P.S. Still waiting to hear about the spoon!)

Old 04-28-2008, 08:03 PM

18 posts, read 67,238 times
Im from the Philly area but Ive been to Scottsdale/Tempe area a couple times. I just dont see how you cant sleep with the windows open at night. Soo ridiculous. Get a dog or censor light or a gun. I lived right on the border of hell (Camden,NJ) and slept with my windows open and nothin happened. Scottsdale is Candyland! And Tempe is home to ASU and just think that you cant sleep with a window open is crazy. These people must be nuts. Its sweet out there.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:08 AM

268 posts, read 1,159,638 times
Default Will people ever learn?

"Cat burglars in Surprise struck four more times over the weekend, sneaking into unlocked homes and stealing valuables while the homeowners slept, according to police. The burglaries bring to at least nine the number of break-ins this month that police believe may be the work of the same criminal, or criminals." azcentral.com | Phoenix Arizona News - Arizona Local News

Lock your windows and doors when you sleep at night. It doesn't matter how safe you think your neighborhood is!

Old 04-29-2008, 03:13 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,448,045 times
Yeah, I really can't believe these people who sleep with their windows open. It's an invitation for intrusion. Remember that night stalker in LA? That is how he got in, through open windows. Yikes, I sleep with a fan on me all night and that is how I get my cool breeze. A LOT safer than the windows open. Of course, I AM one of those people who just happens to have one of those FOBs with a panic button right on the side of her bed (sort of like a remote control thingy for the alarm system). No guns for me in this house, however. But I could buy a baseball bat and that probably wouldn't be a stupid idea. THere again, maybe it is time for me to start visiting that Scottsdale Gun Club. Maybe I'll do that. I could use a "hobby."'

Last edited by movin'on; 04-29-2008 at 03:29 AM..

Old 04-29-2008, 04:34 AM

788 posts, read 2,110,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forkhead View Post
Im from the Philly area but Ive been to Scottsdale/Tempe area a couple times. I just dont see how you cant sleep with the windows open at night. Soo ridiculous. Get a dog or censor light or a gun. I lived right on the border of hell (Camden,NJ) and slept with my windows open and nothin happened. Scottsdale is Candyland! And Tempe is home to ASU and just think that you cant sleep with a window open is crazy. These people must be nuts. Its sweet out there.
I definitely wouldn't around ASU. There are too many crazy rapists climbing through windows there.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:39 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Did anyone reading the AZ Republic story catch the fact that of the last 10 cat burglaries, 6 victims had dogs. None of the dogs alerted the owners.
And one of the women was awakened when the burglar patted her on the butt.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:49 PM

268 posts, read 1,159,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
And one of the women was awakened when the burglar patted her on the butt.
Scarey!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area