Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Least favorite Phoenix suburb?
Surprise 4 3.67%
Peoria 2 1.83%
Glendale 12 11.01%
Litchfield 0 0%
Avondale 2 1.83%
Buckeye 3 2.75%
Tolleson 11 10.09%
Goodyear 1 0.92%
Cave Creek 2 1.83%
Carefree 1 0.92%
Paradise Valley 2 1.83%
Scottsdale 10 9.17%
Tempe 2 1.83%
Fountain Hills 0 0%
Mesa 16 14.68%
Chandler 2 1.83%
Gilbert 13 11.93%
Apache Junction 10 9.17%
Guadalupe 12 11.01%
Queen Creek 4 3.67%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 12:15 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,328,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Well, I was being facetious in that sense. I did not cut down any saguaros for the view. They are the view. But, you are right that at least part of the burbs involve conversion of pristine desert areas to homes and that is true of the places I have lived like Ahwatukee and Estrella. Others, though, change ag fields into housing tracts which is most of Surprise, Chandler, Gilbert, Mesa, Tempe etc. JG.. points out that Peoria has annexed all the way to the foothills of the Bradshaw mountains and that is going to result in destruction of much desert as it develops. Same with north Scottsdale. That might be enough to put those places on someone's most disliked list.

My favorite parts of the valley are the parts that look like houses were dropped in the middle of the desert, like Cave Creek and parts of north Scottsdale, and even parts of Apache Junction. You almost can't see the houses until you are right on top of them because the natural vegetation looks...natural. A lot of the houses there also tend to not be the boring vanilla colored stucco with a red tiled roof; they are adobe/SW style, lower profile, that just vanishes into the landscape, painted colors like deep reds, greens, greys, or other colors that otherwise enhance the desert.

Frank Lloyd Wright built Taliesin West with the thought in mind to blend in with, not dominate the desert surroundings. He even shaped the roof of the place to mirror the buildings behind. You can't see the house until you are right on top of it. I like that.

Other parts of Scottsdale/Gilbert/Chandler, however, are my least favorite. Only smaller trees, no saguaros, and just a boring look. Beige as far as the eye can see. No personality. Lots of Starbucks and moms with strollers.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:16 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,257,377 times
Or any neighborhood in the US?

Has anyone looked into what Manhattan used to look like back in the New Amsterdam days or even before that initial development.

Even the hohokam dug canals and changed the natural landscape out here.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:22 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,298,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Only smaller trees, no saguaros, and just a boring look. Beige as far as the eye can see. No personality. Lots of Starbucks and moms with strollers.
Almost as annoying as places where middle aged single people cart their dogs around and act like they're their children

Old 03-31-2016, 12:24 PM

39,120 posts, read 51,366,781 times
Quote:
My favorite parts of the valley are the parts that look like houses were dropped in the middle of the desert, like Cave Creek and parts of north Scottsdale, and even parts of Apache Junction. You almost can't see the houses until you are right on top of them because the natural vegetation looks...natural. A lot of the houses there also tend to not be the boring vanilla colored stucco with a red tiled roof; they are adobe/SW style, lower profile, that just vanishes into the landscape, painted colors like deep reds, greens, greys, or other colors that otherwise enhance the desert.

Frank Lloyd Wright built Taliesin West with the thought in mind to blend in with, not dominate the desert surroundings. He even shaped the roof of the place to mirror the buildings behind. You can't see the house until you are right on top of it. I like that.

Other parts of Scottsdale/Gilbert/Chandler, however, are my least favorite. Only smaller trees, no saguaros, and just a boring look. Beige as far as the eye can see. No personality. Lots of Starbucks and moms with strollers.
Mine too, but can you imagine how much desert would be destroyed were that the norm here? Those homes are on 1, 2, 5 acre lots. Actually, Phoenix is pretty densely developed. The newer subdivisions offer little more elbow room than row houses in the east. We just don't have a lot of multi-story, multi-unit housing. The suburbs offer everyone their own little 1/8 acre of dirt without all that much environment impact.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:28 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,758,437 times
Saguaros are protected by law. Developers must relocate them.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:30 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,328,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Almost as annoying as places where middle aged single people cart their dogs around and act like they're their children

I'd much rather see carts of cats and dogs than soccer moms and human kids

Old 03-31-2016, 12:33 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,298,625 times
Quote:
I'd much rather see carts of cats and dogs than soccer moms and human kids
Oh I know you would

Old 03-31-2016, 01:23 PM

902 posts, read 1,109,901 times
Quote:
I could never kill a saguaro for my own selfish reasons. They have been here long before we are and will be here long after.
It is illegal to kill a Saguaro, however it is easy, legal and profitable to move a Saguaro

there are buyers that will pay thousands to have a Saguaro in their lawn

there are several local businesses that move Saguaro's daily

the Maricopa county permit is cheap and easy $8.00

https://agriculture.az.gov/sites/def...les/remove.pdf

we sold our Saguaro for $2,000 on craigslist and the buyer had it in his yard the next day

Old 03-31-2016, 01:30 PM

902 posts, read 1,109,901 times
Looks like Guadalupe is winning this poll........... makes sense

I suspect Guadalupe would win the "Most Crime" award in the valley

Old 03-31-2016, 01:33 PM

52 posts, read 43,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I would wager that greater than 70% of residents of Surprise could afford to live in many parts of Scottsdale (more like 98%+ if you include apartments). I would wager that less than 1% of residents of Compton could afford to live in Malibu. You gave a very extreme analogy that widened the gap between the two areas significantly greater than exists in reality, that is why it was a poor analogy. Maybe that would be a good example if we were talking Maryvale to PV.
Quite true, quite true! Our North Scottsdale neighborhood is, or was, moderately priced, although it has appreciated. While we love Scottsdale, plenty of other nice places exist as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area