Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2016, 11:58 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,613,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
I was trying to make it through the summer without AC in my car. Problem is I can't get even arrive at a job interview without being a sweaty mess. I guess I'll take the car in today, put it on the old credit card.
You'll thank yourself later!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 12:54 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,920,834 times
its 92 degrees with 68% humidity here outside of Chicago now, almost 2 pm in the afternoon, so I feel for ya, Big Cats!

Old 08-03-2016, 01:20 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,296,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
In places where it is actually wet the roads don't flood shutting down freeways and stranding drivers in washes like is does here. Our news is great about keeping the public informed about actual hazards associated with our storms.

And if it does happen to flood in those wet regions you better believe the news is all over it with non-stop coverage too.

Sure they cover it. I grew up on the Mississippi River so I know a thing or 2 about flooding, trust me. (1993 anyone?) But they still had regular newscasts and didn't have reporters going on for 20 minutes because the road is wet, or super excited because a car is stuck in deep water. I have seen ENTIRE HOUSES float by my kitchen window (I lived on a bluff overlooking the Mississippi in 1993) and still not a 2 hour solid news report about it. And that kind of flooding lasts WEEKS. Entire towns are wiped off the map.

I get it, the weather people are bored 90% of the year, so a few raindrops is super exciting, but at the end of the day...it's rain. It gets wet. It happens. I had a car stuck on my block a couple of months ago because they crossed in deep water. 4 major news vans with satellite dishes on top showed up and camped out for about 4 hours as the car was towed, all reporters feverishly broadcasting live on Facebook. They were going on and on about how this car was stuck in 12" of water. It was a car being towed out of water, but they acted like they just found Jimmy Hoffa's body!

Old 08-03-2016, 01:32 PM

770 posts, read 837,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Sure they cover it. I grew up on the Mississippi River so I know a thing or 2 about flooding, trust me. (1993 anyone?) But they still had regular newscasts and didn't have reporters going on for 20 minutes because the road is wet, or super excited because a car is stuck in deep water. I have seen ENTIRE HOUSES float by my kitchen window (I lived on a bluff overlooking the Mississippi in 1993) and still not a 2 hour solid news report about it. And that kind of flooding lasts WEEKS. Entire towns are wiped off the map.

I get it, the weather people are bored 90% of the year, so a few raindrops is super exciting, but at the end of the day...it's rain. It gets wet. It happens. I had a car stuck on my block a couple of months ago because they crossed in deep water. 4 major news vans with satellite dishes on top showed up and camped out for about 4 hours as the car was towed, all reporters feverishly broadcasting live on Facebook. They were going on and on about how this car was stuck in 12" of water. It was a car being towed out of water, but they acted like they just found Jimmy Hoffa's body!
2-3 inches of ran in a short period flooding a major freeway during rush hour would be news anywhere. As in posted major streets flooded enough to submerge cars would be news anywhere. We get I you hate everything but what happened yesterday wasn't a little sprinkle. We got 25% of our yearly rainfall in one hour.

Old 08-03-2016, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempeAZnative View Post
2-3 inches of ran in a short period flooding a major freeway during rush hour would be news anywhere. As in posted major streets flooded enough to submerge cars would be news anywhere. We get I you hate everything but what happened yesterday wasn't a little sprinkle. We got 25% of our yearly rainfall in one hour.

The endless news reports I saw were reporters out standing in parking lots going on and on about "it's wet behind me, you can see the water on the ground!!! OMG" THAT is what I am talking about. 2 to 3 inches in PHOENIX may be news, but it's not news everywhere. In many places 2 to 3 inches is a normal rainstorm.

If I could live someplace where it truly never rained, I would. But rain here is just rain. Floods here are just floods. It happens. Monsoon season will be one of the main reasons I finally move from here leaving the smell and the dirt behind! Can't wait!

Old 08-03-2016, 02:07 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,961,493 times
Quote:
The endless news reports I saw were reporters out standing in parking lots going on and on about "it's wet behind me, you can see the water on the ground!!! OMG" THAT is what I am talking about. 2 to 3 inches in PHOENIX may be news, but it's not news everywhere. In many places 2 to 3 inches is a normal rainstorm.

If I could live someplace where it truly never rained, I would. But rain here is just rain. Floods here are just floods. It happens. Monsoon season will be one of the main reasons I finally move from here leaving the smell and the dirt behind! Can't wait!
I'm not even sure your ideal climate exists, no rain, but no dirt? It has to be one or the other.

2-3 inches is a normal rainstorm, 2-3 inches in less than an hour isn't.

Old 08-03-2016, 02:08 PM

770 posts, read 837,813 times
Quote:

When we barely get 7in of rain a year it is big news. Who cares if where you came from is more humid. It's humid as **** out and absolutely sucks.

Old 08-03-2016, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
I'm not even sure your ideal climate exists, no rain, but no dirt? It has to be one or the other.

2-3 inches is a normal rainstorm, 2-3 inches in less than an hour isn't.

I was referring to the fact that it often doesn't really rain here, it just seems to rain dirt. Just enough of an annoying sprinkle to remind us that everything here is, in fact, always covered in a coat of filth. My car is a rolling mudmobile this time of year thanks to the "rain" we get.

I understand rain is necessary, but it would be nice if the rain actually left things cleaner than they were before it rained. That does not happen here. What happens is a giant dust cloud rolls in before the rain can begin to make sure everything is extra dirty before the sprinkles begin.

Old 08-03-2016, 05:32 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,920,834 times
Quote:
In many places 2 to 3 inches is a normal rainstorm.
we had rwo- 2.5 inch rains in my suburb of Chicago last week, so I know what you are saying.

Old 08-03-2016, 05:53 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,140,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
She wants to live on the surface of the sun with a jacket for the breeze from the solar flares. Gets chilly up there at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area