Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 10:24 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumblina View Post
Detroit to anywhere else in the entire country is ALWAYS a good idea!
Detroit's biggest downfall IMHO (aside from its de facto Depression economy) is its bad winter weather.

Sad because that city has a boatload of (once) gorgeous old homes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 11:17 AM

110 posts, read 323,031 times
I'm from Michigan and love Michigan. I've been here in AZ for about 15 years and will stay probably for another 10-15 or so (when I can hopefully retire). At that point I plan on going back. Everyplace has its pros and cons but for now at least, living in AZ is our best option for careers, lifestyle, etc. I try to make the most of it and not let the negatives get to me too much (although admittedly sometimes it does get to me) and just live life day by day.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:26 PM

510 posts, read 1,459,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumblina View Post
Detroit to anywhere else in the entire country is ALWAYS a good idea!

LOL!! Great Point!! I don't even know what it would feel like to live in a major city not feel embarassed about it!

(I will refrain from inserting any Kwame Kilpatrick comments on the AZ boards. It's not easy, but I will refrain.)

Old 02-28-2008, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Detroit's biggest downfall IMHO (aside from its de facto Depression economy) is its bad winter weather.

Sad because that city has a boatload of (once) gorgeous old homes

To think what Detoit USED to be like...so, so sad.

That's part of why I am moving, it is just too depressing up here, grey all the time and now with all the Kwame-Gate crap, it's just dividing people even more, if that was posssible! (Is he going to resign or WHAT?)

Old 03-03-2008, 02:31 PM

36 posts, read 103,658 times
Sunvixen, great thread.

I too am from the Detroit area & have been trying to make a move to the Phoenix area for the past few years. For us, its the local economy, bad winters & lack of family. Most of my wife's family moved to Gilbert/Mesa area 10 years ago & mine to Florida. I've made a few trips to the area over the past 2 years & have likes & dislikes about the area. I've experienced the heat out there & didnt think it was so bad I could not live there. I also like the fact that if I miss the snow, I can drive to it. I personally really like the Gilbert/Chandler area. Lots to do & see. Tempe is cool too with ASU, great places to eat/drink. I also hear Gilbert schools are very good.

The only problem with moving out there is selling my home here. One new angle is home trading, but who'd want to move from PHX to DET???

I hope Kwame resigns. Its been a complete circus here with all of this garbage going on. The city of Detroit cant & will never come close to any kind of recovery if this kind of thing continues. Although, DC re-elected Marion Berry, what a joke!

Steve

Last edited by G.P. Steve; 03-03-2008 at 02:41 PM..

Old 03-08-2008, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.P. Steve View Post
Sunvixen, great thread.

I too am from the Detroit area & have been trying to make a move to the Phoenix area for the past few years. For us, its the local economy, bad winters & lack of family. Most of my wife's family moved to Gilbert/Mesa area 10 years ago & mine to Florida. I've made a few trips to the area over the past 2 years & have likes & dislikes about the area. I've experienced the heat out there & didnt think it was so bad I could not live there. I also like the fact that if I miss the snow, I can drive to it. I personally really like the Gilbert/Chandler area. Lots to do & see. Tempe is cool too with ASU, great places to eat/drink. I also hear Gilbert schools are very good.

The only problem with moving out there is selling my home here. One new angle is home trading, but who'd want to move from PHX to DET???

I hope Kwame resigns. Its been a complete circus here with all of this garbage going on. The city of Detroit cant & will never come close to any kind of recovery if this kind of thing continues. Although, DC re-elected Marion Berry, what a joke!

Steve
Thanks Steve!

I too have been out there several times in the summer and didn't think it was bad. 110 in dry heat sure beats walking out to a steam sauna of 90 degrees and 90 percent humidty.

I consider Kwame a win-win. Either he goes and the city has some "hope" or he stays and I will miss Detroit even less (if that's possible!!) than I would have otherwise. If the city let's him stay, the whole place can burn, I don't care any more. It's such a disgrace.

Old 03-08-2008, 04:52 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,781,079 times
My family moved from Tennessee to Detroit when I was about 12, and I lived there until about 1963. So I was there when it was a bustling place. The only thing I didn't like about it was the harsh winter and the high humidity.

I recall spending a lot of time in downtown Detroit, and visiting the Vernors ginger ale shop there, having ginger ale floats; going to Belle Isle, and taking the Bob Lo steamer out to the island amusement park.

After getting out of the Army I played in several dance bands and some of the jobs we played were in the large homes in Grosse Pointe and the Grosse Pointe Yacht Club. I was always awe-struck by the grand beauty of those fine homes.

After I was married and started flying for my first airline we lived in a rental home on Belleville Lake near the airport, and loved it there. We lived on the lake and would water ski almost every day in the summer. In the winter we would scrape off a section so we could ice ski.

Those are some of the things I miss about the Detroit area. But not the high humidity and harsh winters.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
My family moved from Tennessee to Detroit when I was about 12, and I lived there until about 1963. So I was there when it was a bustling place. The only thing I didn't like about it was the harsh winter and the high humidity.

I recall spending a lot of time in downtown Detroit, and visiting the Vernors ginger ale shop there, having ginger ale floats; going to Belle Isle, and taking the Bob Lo steamer out to the island amusement park.

After getting out of the Army I played in several dance bands and some of the jobs we played were in the large homes in Grosse Pointe and the Grosse Pointe Yacht Club. I was always awe-struck by the grand beauty of those fine homes.

After I was married and started flying for my first airline we lived in a rental home on Belleville Lake near the airport, and loved it there. We lived on the lake and would water ski almost every day in the summer. In the winter we would scrape off a section so we could ice ski.

Those are some of the things I miss about the Detroit area. But not the high humidity and harsh winters.

Along with Vernors, Faygo Rock-n-Rye!! Best pop ("soda") evvvver! Did you know there are actually websites that cater to the Vernors, Faygo, Better-Made chips, Sanders and Town Club cravings of former Michiganians?

Hey, I forget, what do they say in Phoenix? Soda or Pop?

Funny you brought up Belle Isle, I was thinking about it when i first saw the horses for rent by South Mountain Park. I compared Phoenix to Detroit mentally. We USED to have riding stables on Belle Isle. I think they were firebombed many years go. It would never last if they tried it now.

Yes, Belle Isle is still nice...as long as you going during the day! The last couple times I went, all the deer were corralled instead of running free like before. They Aquarium, which was the oldest in North America, was closed in 2005 for lack of funds even though 88% of the votes in the election were in favor of keeping it open. (Mayor Kwame must have needed more BLING for his mistresses He should have been fired back THEN!! Worse Mayor EVER)

And Grosse Pointe is still filled with many truly gorgeous homes.

Old 03-08-2008, 02:18 PM

186 posts, read 570,302 times
Default Don't Do It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunvixen View Post
Stop laughing!!
Do you have any regrets? Is there anything special to keep in mind? (I've been told not to move in the summer since you won't acclimate well to the heat, is that true?)

Any information would be appreciated!!
My family moved there in 2001 and after 5 years not one of us could take it anymore. So, we moved back to 4 seasons and have never looked back at AZ. Don't miss it one bit! I had several different family members move to AZ to try it out and 4 out of 5 families felt the same as we did and had to move out. There's only one family member left there...for now.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:53 PM

461 posts, read 1,810,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.P. Steve View Post

Steve
And Detroit re-elected Kwame! The man has no shame. He thinks he owns the city. The idiot actually said he was "born to be the mayor of Detroit." Michigan is a beautiful state. Detroit is a huge cold sore sitting on mouth of southeast Michigan. Yes, it was once a great city - before Coleman Young became its mayor. The once beautiful mansions that sat so majestically on perfectly manicured lawns are now burnt out crack homes. It is a shame and very sad. However, it is very real. I have worked in downtown Detroit for the past 20 years. I have only seen the decay spread. Whatever efforts that are being put into reviving the city are not working. Drugs, crime and racism have taken over. Coming off the expressway onto Jefferson Avenue, just as you enter the city, there is a huge fist to welcome you (it's supposed to be the fist of Joe Lewis, however, since it's just a fist sitting on a forearm, how is anyone to know it belongs to Joe Lewis?) Although it's a very threatening sight, it does depict the "attitude" of Detroit. Thinking about moving out of Detroit? Run - run like the wind!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area