Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 07:49 PM

313 posts, read 1,148,551 times

Advertisements

Maybe it's just me...I rather like seeing the desert scape unhindered by a huge amusement park...leave them to CA.

I am already concerned that Az will have the same water issues that GA had...and GA of all places where it is green and lush...folks just took it for granted that water would always be there. With water levels dropping in lakes Mead and Powell could it just be a matter time for Az too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 01:30 PM

1 posts, read 3,305 times
There actually was until 1983. It was called "Legend City" and located south of the Phoenix Zoo. It went thru several owners...and went bankrupt. They tried to keep it going with an outdoor concert arena...called "Compton Terrace".....I saw AC/DC there...
Later moved the "Concert arena" out to Firebird lake...a current drag racing spot...

But yes...it was extremely hot during the summer...so you usually went to the park after the sun went down....

I think Phoenix is ready for another shot at an amusement park...AS the fall, winter and spring are excellent times to be outdoors....

What else would anyone like to know??

Beeline dragway.....Los Arcos mall....Tower plaza mall...Thomas mall...
Skate world....Malarkys....Original Cine Capri....Buckaroos....see ya....

Old 04-03-2008, 01:40 PM

287 posts, read 896,889 times
I saw Adam Ant at Compton Terrace in the early '80's, I belive...I think its just waaayyyy too hot to entertain an amusement park here (ok, or at least 1/2 the year) Water parks are a different story, tho. Its kind of nice to think that if we want to go to one we could make it a holiday in CA.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:31 AM

307 posts, read 954,002 times
Default amusement parks

What we need is a huge indoor shopping mall, ala Minnesota's Mall of America!

Maybe with large panels that vent it, ala Chase Field!

It could have the following:

Go-Karts (electric) with a roller coaster above and around the Go-Kart tracks...

Imagine seeing Go-Karts zipping by when on the coaster or vice-versa!

A log-plume, bumper cars, swinging pirate ship, carousal, super-slides, kiddie -rides, the list goes on and on....

But who would fund such a venture....

Old 04-04-2008, 08:45 AM

34 posts, read 103,343 times
jdish,

go to Future Home Start Page
or check out the article on ktar news radio (go under search)-coyotecanyon

Old 04-04-2008, 10:48 AM

285 posts, read 901,761 times
I was fortunate enough to go to Legend City and I thought it was the greatest. Because it wasn't all paid rides. Houses with the floor all angles and all sorts of wierd stuff. I think it's a cost issue more than anything, land, maintance, being closed for the hot season. I also think if they did it again they would charge too much to make it in the long run. JMO

Old 04-07-2008, 02:50 PM

1 posts, read 3,228 times
Thumbs up Heat no sweat!

I moved here from So. Cal. a few years ago, and all the things to do there are what I miss most. Valencia, where Six Flags is located is not that much cooler than Phoenix in the summer. Their daily temps hover above or around the 100 degree mark. Phoenix being the nations fifth largest city certainly has the population to support an amusement park. There are things like misters and canopys used at Magic Mountain that would make waiting in line bearable here. You could even do air conditioned buildings to wait in.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:30 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,256,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilboyz View Post
I moved here from So. Cal. a few years ago, and all the things to do there are what I miss most. Valencia, where Six Flags is located is not that much cooler than Phoenix in the summer. Their daily temps hover above or around the 100 degree mark. Phoenix being the nations fifth largest city certainly has the population to support an amusement park. There are things like misters and canopys used at Magic Mountain that would make waiting in line bearable here. You could even do air conditioned buildings to wait in.
Too many NIMBYs and people with negative, defeated attitudes keep saying how it's too hot here for a theme park ... or that the planned locations are too far away from Phoenix, etc. Because Magic Mountin is north of L.A., it's more inland than Disneyland, so it is hotter in the summer. Magic Mountain also used to be considered out in the middle of nowhere ... but of course, that has changed over the years.

Your comments are right on the money ... but you moved to a state where there's a lot of opposition to amenities such as theme parks. Many of these naysayers like to go to theme parks ... but in their warped state of mind, they'd rather drive hundreds of miles & spend their money in California than save a trip & put their money in the local economy.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:52 PM

2 posts, read 10,094 times
I went there as a child. We spent many weekends there!! Thanks for that memory

Old 04-21-2008, 07:20 PM

551 posts, read 1,590,072 times
Yes, I went to the park once with my grandparents during the heat of summer. We sweltered and schlepped through the park. Fortunately, I have lived in the desert most of my life so the heat didn't bother us much.

I do remember Wallace and Gerald heavily promoting Legend City and I always wanted to go. I made it heat and all.

Also, never, ever go to the Phoenix Zoo in May. We did this once and boy was that HOT!! It was an exceptionally warm spring (LOL!) day I will never forget.

LF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Years ago Phoenix had an amusement park...it was called "Legend city". Any of you old timers remember that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area