Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 10:12 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,749,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azkylady2 View Post
I think this year I will carry the solar umbella I bought! so much for vanity. I might just start a fashion uproar with this thing! maybe some big old wrap around sun shades will set off my look? I be stying
I have always worn a hat of some sort. My N.J neighbor made fun of me last year and last week she showed up with this stupid chinese hat that has a big bow to tie it under your chin. Now she is the one "stylin." Where did you get the solar umbrella?

Old 05-20-2008, 01:13 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,780,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
It is now hot. My daughter and I still manage to go and take a long walk around 7:00 p.m. In the shade and when the sun dips, it really is not all that horrible. I could not do this in the sun however. We do see some joggers out around noon in the hot sun. They must be newcomers.
Im the same way. As long as the sun is not beating down on me, it can be 100 plus, and Im fine. Early morings are great times to take a walk.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:16 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,780,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st8champ90 View Post
Summers in my opinion are dreadful and they last from April until November. That's why I'm leaving soon.
April was nice this year, and so is May so far. When it hits 115, Ill be changing my tune.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:42 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
It is now hot. My daughter and I still manage to go and take a long walk around 7:00 p.m. In the shade and when the sun dips, it really is not all that horrible. I could not do this in the sun however. We do see some joggers out around noon in the hot sun. They must be newcomers.
If it is any consolation: walking in the DC area in the direct sun come summer was evil as well-----------the difference back there in all fairness is much more natural shade from trees, etc. Here (Phx) the lack of shade dissuades me from my walks till after 6 PM.

I received several nasty sunburns back there in the 1960's.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
April was nice this year, and so is May so far. When it hits 115, Ill be changing my tune.
Not much difference between 109F and 115F; trust me............the killer is the humidity come the monsoon season.

Old 05-20-2008, 03:02 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Not much difference between 109F and 115F; trust me............the killer is the humidity come the monsoon season.
Agree. The monsoon adds interest but it does make things kind of miserable. You really notice the difference when it suddenly ends in early Sep and the nights cool down again.

Old 05-20-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Agree. The monsoon adds interest but it does make things kind of miserable. You really notice the difference when it suddenly ends in early Sep and the nights cool down again.
Uh huh............as you stated. (monsoon) (after the monsoon)

Old 05-20-2008, 09:42 PM

430 posts, read 1,410,108 times
Default The solar umbrella

Quote:
I have always worn a hat of some sort. My N.J neighbor made fun of me last year and last week she showed up with this stupid chinese hat that has a big bow to tie it under your chin. Now she is the one "stylin." Where did you get the solar umbrella?
I purchased it at coolibar.com. The have many sun protection products that are endorsed by the American Cancer society, such as this umbrella.They are white so not to unfashionable really and designed to block the sun 98 percent UV protection, The prices range from 24 to 30 dollars depending on the size you get.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:56 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,082,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azkylady2 View Post
I purchased it at coolibar.com. The have many sun protection products that are endorsed by the American Cancer society, such as this umbrella.They are white so not to unfashionable really and designed to block the sun 98 percent UV protection, The prices range from 24 to 30 dollars depending on the size you get.
Thats a great idea. Now if only I could get my 2 teenage girls to use them. lol They are so white a freakly like my husband that I really worry about their skin. But I don't want to deny them swimming or out door stuff all summer long. My son is olive like me and can take a lot more sun before he is burned. My one main reason for leaving this place is the sun. No shade, bright sun, my kids skin = skin cancer for sure. I need to live some place they can actually stay outside for a little while. They even get a burn in the winter if they are out in the sun. It sucks. I don't want to worry them by dressing them in long sleeve shirts and a hat all year. They would rather just stay inside. lol Not much I can do while they are at school either. For all those who suggest sun screen, for one, it doesn't last long out here and two they would have to put so much on all year it wouldn't be safe. People think they can use as much sunscreen as they want but it absorbs into the skin and can give you internal cancer if you use to much like you have to do here. It's ok if your just going to the beach a couple of times a year or for a month of swimming but in Phoenix it becomes a daily experience if you want to avoid the burn and that is way to much sunscreen. Way over the limit for side effects of the stuff so what are you to do?

Old 05-20-2008, 10:36 PM

430 posts, read 1,410,108 times
Talking I hear you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Thats a great idea. Now if only I could get my 2 teenage girls to use them. lol They are so white a freakly like my husband that I really worry about their skin. But I don't want to deny them swimming or out door stuff all summer long. My son is olive like me and can take a lot more sun before he is burned. My one main reason for leaving this place is the sun. No shade, bright sun, my kids skin = skin cancer for sure. I need to live some place they can actually stay outside for a little while. They even get a burn in the winter if they are out in the sun. It sucks. I don't want to worry them by dressing them in long sleeve shirts and a hat all year. They would rather just stay inside. lol Not much I can do while they are at school either. For all those who suggest sun screen, for one, it doesn't last long out here and two they would have to put so much on all year it wouldn't be safe. People think they can use as much sunscreen as they want but it absorbs into the skin and can give you internal cancer if you use to much like you have to do here. It's ok if your just going to the beach a couple of times a year or for a month of swimming but in Phoenix it becomes a daily experience if you want to avoid the burn and that is way to much sunscreen. Way over the limit for side effects of the stuff so what are you to do?
I just don't trust sunscreens, I don't buy into the general advice to wear it everyday. Its chemicals as you say, its absorbed in your skin and and like everything else we ingest or absorb, it has to pass through the liver. I really believe one day they will find sunscreens cause cancer! maybe you could get your daughters to carry the smaller parasol? long sleeves and an umbrella is probably way more safe for you then sunscreens chemicals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area