Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 05:09 AM

13 posts, read 24,440 times

Advertisements

People from other parts of the country melt here.

It often takes some people 2 summers before they acclimate to the heat here.

Ever opened the doors to a convection oven? It feels the same way in Phx at night in the summer. It will stay 100 degrees in the dead of night here for months, and when there's a slight breeze, it isn't cooling, it feels like opening an oven door with the heat just circulating and blowing.

I would not suggest sleeping in a car or tent here durring the summer. You have no idea of what its like.

The low rent areas are not safe at night, I know plenty of people who had guns pulled on them in these areas multiple times, oh and by the way, phoenix is the nation's capitol for auto theft. There are plenty of hispanic gangs here too.

Don't do it unless you have a friend/relative here that can put you up for several months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 05:50 AM

323 posts, read 1,391,011 times
Get a roommate. Go to the YMCA for temporary solutions. Save some money if you
can. Secure the job. Look into managing apt. complexes if you are handy. Look into
housesitting. Could you swap apts. for awhile? Look through Craigslist and Kijiji. Plan your
work and work your plan. Your parents can cosign if you have credit check problem.
It could be wise to stay put until you are clear. You can maybe negotiate with some
landlords if credit is a problem. If there are reasonable explanations. Secure your place
of abode before you arrive.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:54 AM

54 posts, read 224,865 times
To the OP....you need to seriously not go to Phoenix with a plan of being homeless. Think about that will you.

If you do go ahead with your plan anyway you will end up back in P-burgh anyway out of frustration and desperation. So why bother leaving?

Resign your lease for 6 months and work on your relocation. 6 months is nothing.

Get real, dude.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:54 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times
By all means don't do this to yourself. You literally could die from heat exposure in that type of situation. You have no experience living in that type heat, and to be homeless on top of that is suicide. What ever your current situation it simply is not worth the move. I cannot even imagine someone choosing homelessness. Stay where you are and plan your move. See if you can get some leads on a job before moving. Even if it is not much of a job, at least you will have some income and can get a roof over your head and work on your life there. Please do not move to Phoenix to be homeless.

Old 05-24-2008, 03:23 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,700,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Being "homeless" on purpose doesn't seem like a good idea to me.
i was thinking the same thing. Homeless in California on the other hand..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
2 birds with one stone but be careful one of the birds may turn out to look like Big Bird from Sesame Street....good luck.
lmfao. hahahaha

You can find an affordable place. Like the others are saying check craigslist. Check the roommate section and the rent section. I found a gem of a place, that i live in now, for $450 a month including utilities and wireless internet. You can't beat that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area