Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 08:19 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Wimpy Chicagoans can't take the heat. As soon as it get's over 80 degrees and a little bit of humidity they drop like flies. Arizonan's are tough as nails!
Then lets see you do a Chicago January mr tough guy. I forgot, Zonies cant take Arctic temps, theyre afraid it might put a little hair on their oiled chests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 08:33 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,719,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Wimpy Chicagoans can't take the heat. As soon as it get's over 80 degrees and a little bit of humidity they drop like flies. Arizonan's are tough as nails!
You forgot to add a smiley face!

Old 06-19-2008, 08:54 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Then lets see you do a Chicago January mr tough guy. I forgot, Zonies cant take Arctic temps, theyre afraid it might put a little hair on their oiled chests.
Been to Chicago, was born there, sorry to admit. Also served in Korea when the temps were a lot colder than Chicago gets.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:54 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdxc90 View Post
I rest my case. Dude, you don't even live in Phoenix, so enjoy the weather in Chicago and feel good about the fact that [other suckers have to put up with a crappy place like Phoenix.
Steve O wrote...
Quote:
What part of "just having a little fun with this" dont you understand??? BTW, I am enjoying the weather here, thank you very much. So are the dozens of other Arizona plates I saw today. Theyre smart and got the eff outta PHX until late October.
I agree with the OP. Steve O, why do you post here? Seems to me if Chicago is all that great you should be out and about, instead of bashing the Phoenix forum.

Last edited by movin'on; 06-19-2008 at 10:12 PM..

Old 06-19-2008, 10:12 PM

161 posts, read 693,272 times
I know what you mean OP. I too want to take a fly swatter and shoo the nay-sayers away-ESPECIALLY the ones from other cities. The Tucson forum has the same problem-every thread eventually devolving into negativity. I cringed so bad at one thread not too long ago where a woman from up North was advising another woman planning to move to Tucson. She went on and on about how the OP shouldn't move there and she knew everything so well because she was here-for one summer. 3 months. And was just visiting.

Now how would you be such a know it all after only 3 months visiting? Shut your hole!

Old 06-19-2008, 10:29 PM

430 posts, read 1,410,108 times
Wink you said it best! twiggy

[quote=twiggy;4165247]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdxc90 View Post
Wowowo! 28 replies in 8 hours. Boy, did I stir a bee hive here. YES YOU DID, ISN'T THAT WHAT YOU WANTED TO DO? YOU STARTED CRAP ON YOUR OWN THREAD ABOUT PEOPLE STARTING CRAP! BRILLANT!

Listen, I don't have a problem with people bashing Phoenix > REALLY?- as I said no place is perfect. EITHER ARE PEOPLE, YOUR THREAD IS A PERFECT EXAMPLE OF THAT.

These people do not add to any constructive criticism on the forum. YOU HAVE SUCCESSFULLY BECAME ONE OFF THESE PEOPLE YOURSELF, CONGRATS! THIS THREAD WAS NOT CONSTRUCTIVE NOR DID IT ADD ANYTHING BUT HURT FEELINGS TO THE FORUM.

PRICELESS!
exactly what I was thinking as I read the post. I wondered the point of the subject of Phoenix bashing being raised once again, after being mentioned over and over many times before. Must have been just for the sake of getting replies.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:36 PM

161 posts, read 693,272 times
Oh please Stevo-o, not all 'Zonians only know the hot desert weather (we were smart and transplanted from the Midwest :P). I was born in Milwaukee, and therefore am fine in either climate. Also moved from the Chicago area to Tucson. Where's your theory now?

Old 06-19-2008, 11:44 PM

1,818 posts, read 1,529,014 times
I was born and raised in cold weather and spent my youth in MA and MI and IL and was smart enough to get out! ...and I am never goin back.......

Old 06-20-2008, 12:57 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
I can understand the view that using the term troll is childish so I will apologize in advance for using that term. Yes, it is a label. However, it's a concise term that accurately conveys the type of poster I'm referring to. I suppose I could use the term harrassing poster but troll is much easier to type. A troll is someone whose purpose is to cause trouble or irritate people. Their goal is not to provide information in a sincere manner. They seem intent on trying to ridicule Phoenix and incite people at the same time. There is no evidence that clearly proves one is a troll. It's an observation based on a poster's trends. If someone is only saying negative statements and fails to include positive aspects or leaves out information to provide a more negative view, it's going to lead most people to define that person as a troll. For example, a troll will often repeat the same criticisms or start threads regarding the same subjects simply disguised with a different title. Personally, I think there are very few actual trolls on this forum but they tend to be very vocal.

I think a lot of the so-called "positive" posters also discuss criticisms. These members don't exaggerate or use inflammatory speech so their negative comments may not attract as much attention as a response that uses hyperbole and embellishment. Without mentioning names or threads, I think we all know what threads I'm referring to. If someone desires critical information, it's certainly present in those threads. I fail to understand how a person must post in a tabloid-like inflammatory manner just to convey a critical aspect of Phoenix. If people would actually take the time to not gloss over a civil person's response, they would learn that most members will often acknowledge the negative counterpoint in addition to the positive one in the same response. Unfortunately for them, they are much too considerate and perhaps if they posted in a more antagonizing manner, their posts might attract more attention.

Perhaps, members on this forum including myself take offense to the constant criticisms posted on this forum. However, do you really believe people wouldn't react the same way whether they are from Houston, Chicago or Oklahoma City? Isn't this a normal human reaction? How is this unique to Phoenix? I think you don't see these types of thread on other city forums because it seems their moderators have little patience for those posts and will take measures to immediately close or remove them. I'm not calling out our moderators. I think they do an excellent job overall and I can't imagine a more difficult job but I do think our moderators prefer to take a more liberal approach in regards to allowing free and open speech at the expense of civility. In my impression, it seems moderators of other city forums don't seem to share this same philosophy and take a more totalitarian approach in regards to deleting threads.

I don't agree with your conspiracy that members feel obliged to say positive aspects to sustain Phoenix' growth. My evidence is simple. If you actually count the number of members who speak well of Phoenix, it far outnumbers the people who are consistently critical. The critics are a minority on this forum but they are a vocal minority. They tend to write the most inflammatory posts which attract attention. Therefore, it provides the forum with the false perception that so many people hate Phoenix. The truth is the silent majority are silent because they are content with Phoenix and don't feel the need to engage in a verbal assault with the trolls who seek to cause trouble. Furthermore, I hardly see how a forum such as this would make an significant impact on the growth of Phoenix. Lastly, it makes little sense that so many people would move here and just be unhappy. Oh, I'm certain many people are in that situation but to insinuate the majority of Phoenicians are in this situation seems like a remote possibility considering we are discussing an extremely large sample of people.

This forum would be less polarizing if there were not so many trolls here. The trolls tend to create a polarizing atmosphere because the people who are normally objective and balanced regarding their view toward Phoenix become defensive and feel the need to overcompensate by offering positive rebuttals. I think if the trolls were absent, you would discover that people can discuss Phoenix in a more candid yet civil manner. I certainly welcome a diversity of opinions. However, I don't welcome a plethora of ex-residents or bitter residents who choose to use this forum as a sounding board under the falsehood that they are just offering the critical counterpoint.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 06-20-2008 at 01:28 AM..

Old 06-20-2008, 06:22 AM

27,345 posts, read 27,400,159 times
Not everyone is saying Phoenix sucks. Im not...but am simply stating its not for me, and I lived there for 12 years. So what. But its an open forum, and a lot of people read a lot of topics. Heck, I read Wisconsin and Tennesee as well as Calif and Az. But am speaking, too, from being there when Im not asking a question about it, whether it was vacation or lived there. Some people like Phx, others dont, but they too, are probably answering from their own experiences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area