Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 02:50 PM

3 posts, read 7,431 times

Advertisements

I got the same ticket on 1/3/09...going 67 and ticket says it's posted 55. I went back and filmed the drive from 59th Ave east to I-17. There is a 65MPH sign at 59th and 51st then NO OTHER speed limit signs prior to the camera. I've chose to fight this out in the courts. My court date is 4/1. I intend to show them the video and see if they still want to rip me off. I'll let you know how it goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 04:48 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,310,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don T. Lykcameras View Post
I got the same ticket on 1/3/09...going 67 and ticket says it's posted 55. I went back and filmed the drive from 59th Ave east to I-17. There is a 65MPH sign at 59th and 51st then NO OTHER speed limit signs prior to the camera. I've chose to fight this out in the courts. My court date is 4/1. I intend to show them the video and see if they still want to rip me off. I'll let you know how it goes.
I saw the video, that is complete b.s. I hope you guys win. This is just a speed trap.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:27 PM

10 posts, read 37,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don T. Lykcameras View Post
please do tell us how it goes, info much needed =)

Old 03-29-2009, 10:39 PM

2 posts, read 5,104 times
Don-
I will see you there Wed as I got the same ticket on 1/4/09 going 66MPH. I will be down there in the AM to fight...I will be so pissed if they don't rip these tickets up.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:22 PM

149 posts, read 533,882 times
Good luck to you all. Anyway, I wonder how much time and money you all have to waste on these silly tickets .

Old 03-30-2009, 07:52 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,705,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trudawg View Post
OT.... I know, but can they serve my door-man (inside high-rise condo) and consider it the same as serving someone in my household? There is no way a process server could get up to my door without my permission
nice!

Old 03-31-2009, 07:06 PM

140 posts, read 467,465 times
Since this got bumped, here is the scoop:

"At North Valley, part of the problem was due to highway signs, or the lack thereof. For a significant period of time, people received tickets for going 66 or 67 in a 55 mph zone. The problem was that the temporary 55 mph sign was often after the camera. As such, we have had hundreds of hearing requests. Thus far, drivers in this category have almost always been found not responsible at their hearing. "

Foothills Focus - New picture develops on photo radar issue

Old 04-01-2009, 03:34 PM

3 posts, read 7,431 times
As promised here is an update and additional information regarding my attempt to fight the camera ticket from the 35th Ave & 101 camera.

After driving the 40 minutes from North Phoenix to the North Valley Court in Surprise, and standing in a line of at least 200 people, all that happened was another court date was issued. Here are the details for those of you facing the same situation.

When you reply to the initial photo ticket requesting a hearing to challenge you get a summons from the Az Dept of Public Safety stating you need to show up on a specific date and time (in my case April 1st at 9:00AM) for a specific judge (in my case Gerald Williams). This summons comes with all the usual warnings about not showing up , a defaulty judgement may be entered against you, civil penalties may be imposed, your license may be suspended, etc. In other words this summons leads you to believe you will be talking to the judge about the matter on the defined day. This is not the case. What the summons actually does is act as an arraignment date. It gets you in a long line, wastes 3 hours of your day, and ends up getting you assigned an actual court date to return and state your case to the judge. In my case my "new" court date is July 20th. So on July 20th I once again get to make the drive and take more time to state my case on an issue which to me is a complete farce.

I was able to get some valuable information while standing in line. Some judges have already determined this provision as being unconstitutional. For example I have the ruling where Judge John C. Keegan (Arrowhead Justice Court) states just that. I am told Judge Keegan simply throws out all photo rader tickets brought before him. While standing in line I also heard from some of the court employees Judge Williams is just the opposite and makes everyone pay. I am encouraged by the link provided by jgunn72 " Foothills Focus - New picture develops on photo radar issue" as it was written by the same Judge Williams and states (based on issues such as mine... ticketed 67 in a 55 with no 55MPH sign or the sign was after the camera) "Thus far, drivers in this category have almost always been found not responsible at their hearing".
So we will see what actually happens on July 20th. Which Judge Williams shows up, the one who I'm told makes everyone pay, or the one who wrote the article.
Now...Time to vent! I hope it isn't lost on any of you how screwed up this entire process has become. It became worse for me today when I found out that if my response would have crossed Judge Keegans desk none of what I went thru to day or on July 20th would have happened. How screwed up is that when even the judge you draw effects how this process is enforced. Like I said...this is a complete farce. We can all thank good old Janet Naplolitano for this one. She put this program in effect to create $90 million in non-Tax Increase Revenue Generation. Here's the problem...none of the money goes to the courts or Maricopa county. The photo radar statutes require courts to be an involuntary collection agent for the State of Arizona and for the "Clean Election Fund". What does that mean...YOU GUESSED IT....the fund gives money to the political campaigns of politicians running for legistative or statewide offices. That's right folks....all of this is so Janet and her politician friends get campaign money. And we wonder why the process is all screwed up...it's meant to be so people like us just pay the money...to people like them. Oh...in case you think this all might just be opinion on my behalf...it's note. I am quoting a paper given to me today when I checked in at the North Valley Court. It's written by Judge Williams and all the stuff about dear old Janet and where the money goes is quoted directly from that paper.

Thanks so much for once again looking after the Arizonan's best interests Janet. All the best in Washington...seriously...now you have a whole nation you can screw in some wat or another.

OK...done venting.

Please keep the information flowing here and if anyone is ahead of me in this process please let us all know what happens at your "real" court date.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:57 AM

2 posts, read 5,104 times
Don-
I had my hearing in June 5 and here is the scoop with the mysterious 35th ave and 101 camera and 55 speed limit. The officer that was at the court stated that ADOT had the speed sign around 43rd and 101 from May 2008-January 7th 2009 due to no shoulder for the I17 work. Those that were able to get out of the ticket were able to use that since this was a tempary construction sign that can be moved and that day that you were driving there was no sign and if the office can attest that he was not in the area around that same time to say it was there then you may have a chance. I had printed articles and that did not do much so if you are able to state that you did not see a sign since it is movable it could have been moved by someone or blown down then you may have a chance since I truely believe it was moved by the time I went through. Good Luck to you in July

Old 06-18-2009, 05:40 PM

6 posts, read 20,541 times
Well after waiting a whopping 6 months, I finally have my court date tomorrow. Why is it that I got my ticket in December but the people who got theirs in January already had court dates...? Anyway I'm encouraged by the article on Gerald Williams who I believe is my judge. But flaghighs experience seems to be different. I just hope that I dont have to show up to another court date after tomorrow like what happened to Don. We shal see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area