Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2009, 02:30 PM

687 posts, read 1,946,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home_Kid View Post
Robert A,
i think if you start collecting more data metrics you'll quickly learn that Joe A's office is on par with other SO's across the US. comparing the # of lawsuits vs. $$ paid out is single stat (which seems to used quite often here), which by itself doesnt mean all that much. if you can post the # of operations the MCSO has conducted over the years Joe A has been there, and the # illegals the MSCO has captured over the years Joe A has been there, and the total # of lawsuits against MCSO since Joe A has been there, and the total # of lawsuits the MCSO has lost since Joe A has been there, and the total # of cases against Joe A which alledge wrong doing, and the total # of cases Joe A himself has lost,.... if you can post all these #'s then i think we all can get a clearer picture as to how normal the MCSO is when compared to other SO's across the US.

in the end, the #'s coming out of the MCSO may be higher, but when you graph them the line it makes looks very similar to other SO's across the US.

i think Joe A should make them wear pink skirts. i am sure the ACLU would say that is gender discrimination, or some here might say its not right to treat criminal that way.
It seems you've already collected and plotted this data. So why don't you post it?

EDIT: let me be clear. I think you make a valid point so long as it's supported by data. You seem very certain, so let's see it. I think there are other reasons for opposing Joe, but I'm willing to consider your gathered, plotted, and sourced information.

Last edited by Robert A; 09-10-2009 at 02:48 PM.. Reason: Just because

Old 09-10-2009, 06:05 PM

713 posts, read 1,461,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert A View Post
It seems you've already collected and plotted this data. So why don't you post it?

EDIT: let me be clear. I think you make a valid point so long as it's supported by data. You seem very certain, so let's see it. I think there are other reasons for opposing Joe, but I'm willing to consider your gathered, plotted, and sourced information.
not my job to do so. its the anti-GoJoe folks who need to prove their claims. i was only suggesting the anti folks dig up some #'s as i have suggested, and then we can look at them together. thus far the evidence provided by the anti GoJoe folks is very weak. i am confident that the MCSO #'s are not shocking when compared to the same metrics of other SO's across the US.

c'mon, if the MCSO was doing all this wrong i am sure the ACLU and other orgs that fcorrales80 belongs to would have brought this evidence to the major media outlets and it would be primetime news for weeks-on-end. fact is, its not a issue as some claim it to be, hence its not being covered by the major media outlets.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:20 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,294,643 times
I have a feeling Sheriff Joe is going to be like Penn St.'s Joe Paterno. Sheriff Joe will be Sheriff until he dies. Like Joe Pa, he will be the figurehead and someone else will take over but I just can't see him retiring.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:34 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,516,977 times
"I understand the point you're trying to make"

I'm glad to hear that. The numbers I was throwing around I'm sure are not accurate. I'd be surprised if anyone outside of Sheriff Joe's office knows the percentage of lawsuits the Maricopa County Sheriffs Office has won. I knew that my arguement was not based on fact (because I don't know the facts). However, it seemed like an effective way to point out the logical fallacy that I saw. So my weak arguement was nothing more than a vehicle to point out the flaws in a different weak arguement. It's good that you caught on.
Regarding the lawsuits that the sheriff's office lost, those are good to review (and I'm sure they have been extensively). Certainly there are many valuable lessons to be learned. But are those lost lawsuits reason enough to gather pitchforks and tourches? I don't think so, but, at the same time, can understand why some might feel that way. Other law inforcement offices (as well as many corporations that one might not think of as "bad") have also paid out large settlements without firing the boss. If it is truly a trend, then there are problems. I'm personally not convinced that it is a trend. It's certainly something to keep an eye on, though.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:53 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,016,519 times
I'm just waiting for information from ritchie and homekid that would counter information and evidence posted against the sheriff. This thread has gotten a little crazy with the nazis stuff. It is weird that Arpaio was talking to them and shaking their hands but who knows what the premise was behind that. I don't think Arpaio is a nazis supporting racists. He's had many close hispanic/minority friends.

However, this is a discussion about his efficiency and ability to enforce the laws prudently, equally, and efficiently without violating tenants of the constitution and ethical matters. Funny how homekid said it wasn't "his job" to post his data even though he ridiculed others when no data was posted from the get go. I have a feeling it is because he can't produce and his statements are mere conjecture and not founded in truth.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:18 PM

fcorrales80, I think Home_Kid's point was that you (and others) made the accusations, the burden is on you (and the others) to prove those accusations. It's not Home_Kid's responsibility to prove that your accusations are false. It is, however, your responsibility to prove your accusations true. Otherwise, they're just accusations, which, in and of themselves, are pretty pointless.
I disagreed with most of your accusations, so I offered a flip-side of the coin. I did provide some information to back up what I said. Mostly, though, I was pointing out your logical fallacies.
Here's a list of the most common logical fallacies:
Top 20 Logical Fallacies - The Skeptics' Guide to the Universe
http://leo.stcloudstate.edu/acadwrite/logic.html
You may note that I could have pointed out more. You'll also note that I used a couple logical fallacies to point out a couple of your logical fallacies (I did this on purpose). I don't think it was really understood, so perhaps this was not an effective way to communicate.
I do, however, think you brought up some good questions (which we've already talked about).

Last edited by Ritchie_az; 09-10-2009 at 07:25 PM.. Reason: Added a link

Old 09-10-2009, 07:31 PM

687 posts, read 1,946,216 times
Oh, nevermind. This won't go anywhere, anyway.

Last edited by Robert A; 09-10-2009 at 07:41 PM.. Reason: because we're going around in circles

Old 09-10-2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
fcorrales80, I think Home_Kid's point was that you (and others) made the accusations, the burden is on you (and the others) to prove those accusations. It's not Home_Kid's responsibility to prove that your accusations are false. It is, however, your responsibility to prove your accusations true. Otherwise, they're just accusations, which, in and of themselves, are pretty pointless.
This proof has been posted by many including me. It has been disregarded however. If you choose to ignore it that is your choice but it is incorrect to say we haven't proven or given evidence to support our positions. Now that homekid has listed "facts" and "data" as he's described them we are asking for the information and links to the data so that we can read and take them into consideration. We are just asking for the same consideration you two asked for and received.

Quote:
disagreed with most of your accusations, so I offered a flip-side of the coin. I did provide some information to back up what I said. Mostly, though, I was pointing out your logical fallacies.
Here's a list of the most common logical fallacies:
Top 20 Logical Fallacies - The Skeptics' Guide to the Universe
LEO: Logic
Ok great! Let's see your data and information that would suggest otherwise. Would love to read it and see the research for reaching such conclusions. Also your argument of "logical fallacy" doesn't apply to this discussion since there is a valid argument and a valid conclusion. Argument; sheriff joe is costing tax payers money, is inefficient, has violated ethics and constitutional tenants, etc etc. Conclusion; we've paid tens of millions of dollars in lost legal battles, pay the highest insurance premiums in the country because of ethical and constitutional violations, etc. etc.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:00 PM

I think I'm going to agree with Robert A here. We're just going to continue around in circles, because I think we have two different definitions of "proof". I have seen nothing that I would call "proof", but, to you, what you've posted is indeed "proof". I don't know if it's because I give Sheriff Joe the benefit of the doubt and you give the benefit of the doubt to the ACLU and others, or what. I suppose it doesn't matter.

"Also your argument of "logical fallacy" doesn't apply"

A logical fallacy is a logical fallacy is a logical fallacy. I'm sure you must have learned this sometime at USC, no?

"Argument; sheriff joe..has violated...constitutional tenants"

Arizona Constitution
The United States Constitution - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

This is my last post in this thread. Good luck with your mission to get Sheriff Joe ousted.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
I think I'm going to agree with Robert A here. We're just going to continue around in circles, because I think we have two different definitions of "proof". I have seen nothing that I would call "proof", but, to you, what you've posted is indeed "proof". I don't know if it's because I give Sheriff Joe the benefit of the doubt and you give the benefit of the doubt to the ACLU and others, or what. I suppose it doesn't matter.
Yes, I do agree we are going in circles. I said it first, LOL! J/K However, I never quoted an ACLU study; studies quoted were provided by ASU, The Goldwater Institute, FBI statistics, etc. etc.

Quote:
A logical fallacy is a logical fallacy is a logical fallacy. I'm sure you must have learned this sometime at USC, no?
Right, but in order for an argument to be a logical fallacy it must have a conclusion that is invalid or incorrect which isn't the case with this discussion. Read above...therefore logical fallacy is an inappropriate argument for this discussion since the argument and the conclusion are both validated.

Quote:
"Argument; sheriff joe..has violated...constitutional tenants"

Arizona Constitution
The United States Constitution - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

This is my last post in this thread. Good luck with your mission to get Sheriff Joe ousted.
Yeah, these links do not debunk the lawsuits lost by Sheriff Arpaio on grounds of unethical and unconstitutional violations at tent city and county jails and inappropriate detainment of U.S. citizens during "raids." They are just links to the state and federal constitutions...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area