Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 09:11 PM

430 posts, read 1,409,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
LOL! I completely missed your title!
I have an ideal..... back in the day there used to be these things called electric blankets, those were great for getting your bed all toasty before you crawled in, only down side is it catching fire during the night, its a chance you take for warmth. Maybe you could buy one, just unplug it before you drift off
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 09:14 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,016,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azkylady2 View Post
I have an ideal..... back in the day there used to be these things called electric blankets, those were great for getting your bed all toasty before you crawled in, only down side is it catching fire during the night, its a chance you take for warmth. Maybe you could buy one, just unplug it before you drift off
Umm, that's ok!

I often won't remember to unplug it...

Old 12-13-2009, 09:15 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,664,543 times
I'll risk sounding a bit off the deep end here but sometimes when its "cold" by PHX standards, I try to imagine that its a summer day in Alaska. It helps me psychologically for very brief moments when I can actually convince myself of that.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:29 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,848,232 times
Yesterday was absolutely gorgeous...beat the crap out of an Alaskan summer day

Old 12-13-2009, 09:32 PM

2,250 posts, read 1,395,663 times
Arizona is just getting the rest of the storms and cold air thats been hitting California recently.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:33 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,261,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
No way, more and more sun please! It releases the happy chemicals naturally.
Whatever! Different strokes for different folks. With that said, December is supposed to be on the wet side here, and it's actually normal to have a good share of cloudy days. It has nothing to do with El Niño either. It's the beginning of the winter rainy season ... and since we've only had about a third of the amount of rain we normally receive in December (and still about five inches behind on yearly rainfall), I say BRING ON THE RAIN!

For those who simply can't get enough sunshine, the months of April, May, and June are the sunniest on average ... and even the monsoon months of July, August, and September still have plenty of sunny days despite the increased threat of thunderstorms. Then there are the generally sunny months of October and November ... so there are really only about four months out of the year (December through March) where there is a better chance of having cloudy, rainy days.

Certainly you can tolerate four months of a little less sun and a little more rain, right??? If not, perhaps the Atacama Desert of South America would be more to your liking. I understand that is the driest desert on earth where it only rains once every few years or so.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Yesterday was absolutely gorgeous...beat the crap out of an Alaskan summer day
Well that makes it all the better for you! You don't have to imagine Alaskan summer days, you can just jog your own memory banks. If only you could package that and sell it to us thin blooded Phoenicians in this crisis time of 60 degree weather...

Old 12-13-2009, 09:37 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,016,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Whatever! Different strokes for different folks. With that said, December is supposed to be on the wet side here, and it's actually normal to have a good share of cloudy days. It has nothing to do with El Niño either. It's the beginning of the winter rainy season ... and since we've only had about a third of the amount of rain we normally receive in December (and still about five inches behind on yearly rainfall), I say BRING ON THE RAIN!

For those who simply can't get enough sunshine, the months of April, May, and June are the sunniest on average ... and even the monsoon months of July, August, and September still have plenty of sunny days despite the increased threat of thunderstorms. Then there are the generally sunny months of October and November ... so there are really only about four months out of the year (December through March) where there is a better chance of having cloudy, rainy days.

Certainly you can tolerate four months of a little less sun and a little more rain, right??? If not, perhaps the Atacama Desert of South America would be more to your liking. I understand that is the driest desert on earth where it only rains once every few years or so.

Seems some of us can use a little more sun (and the good feeling chems released by the rays)!

I can deal with 4 months. I guess Valley Native's feelings about us winter whiners mirrors how some of us feel about the summer whiners. But it's cold right now...

Old 12-13-2009, 09:46 PM

I think people in Phoenix as a whole need to figure out things to talk about besides weather. NO offense to anyone as I'm participating too, but there seems to always be this gigantic need to discuss weather. Hot, Cold, Humid, Dry, rain hating, snow hating, its part of the reason I'm sick of it here.

When I went into the Portland Forum where it rains alot, you would expect to see a bunch of people whining about "when will the rain stop???!!" But in fact their attitudes were very pleasant and they even have a thread about "gloomy season pics" with awesome pictures of the rain and the wet city. Most of them are reveling about how nice it is to curl up with a good book and listen to the rain pelting your windows, make some hot drink, etc.

Just an example of how 2 completely different areas perceive the same weather element. As for me, I will go somewhere someday where people are able to take whatever mother nature dishes out at them and look at it in the most positive light no matter what.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:00 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,261,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmist View Post
I think people in Phoenix as a whole need to figure out things to talk about besides weather. NO offense to anyone as I'm participating too, but there seems to always be this gigantic need to discuss weather. Hot, Cold, Humid, Dry, rain hating, snow hating, its part of the reason I'm sick of it here.

When I went into the Portland Forum where it rains alot, you would expect to see a bunch of people whining about "when will the rain stop???!!" But in fact their attitudes were very pleasant and they even have a thread about "gloomy season pics" with awesome pictures of the rain and the wet city. Most of them are reveling about how nice it is to curl up with a good book and listen to the rain pelting your windows, make some hot drink, etc.

Just an example of how 2 completely different areas perceive the same weather element. As for me, I will go somewhere someday where people are able to take whatever mother nature dishes out at them and look at it in the most positive light no matter what.
I know what you mean! Unfortunately, I am one who falls into that category of weather discussions, but I am admittedly somewhat of a weather/climate goon. Often, I will track the jet stream and the storms off the Pacific coast to see if they will hopefully move close enough to give us some significant rain & lots of snow in the mountains. I don't believe this hype about El Niño because we would usually start seeing more evidence of that by now, and it really hasn't been all that wet when you think of it.

But I think the reason the weather is a big topic in Phoenix is that many of us are thankful when we finally do receive some beneficial rain ... especially this year being so dry! For me, it's just somewhat of a pet peeve to hear all these sun freaks whine about a little bit of cloudy, chilly weather, and a few raindrops when we are so much in need of moisture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area