Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 10:09 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,665,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I know what you mean! Unfortunately, I am one who falls into that category of weather discussions, but I am admittedly somewhat of a weather/climate goon. Often, I will track the jet stream and the storms off the Pacific coast to see if they will hopefully move close enough to give us some significant rain & lots of snow in the mountains. I don't believe this hype about El Niño because we would usually start seeing more evidence of that by now, and it's really not all that cloudy & wet when you think of it.

But I think the reason the weather is a big topic in Phoenix is that many of us are thankful when we finally do receive some beneficial rain ... especially this year being so dry! For me, it's just somewhat of a pet peeve to hear all these sun freaks whine about a little bit of cloudy, chilly weather, and a few raindrops when we are so much in need of moisture.

Actually, I don't find that type of discussion boring as that is getting more into meteorology which is different than "weather chat". I wasn't directing the remark to anyone in the thread either, but moreso is an overall feel of the people I encounter in real life.

I do like the rain, can appreciate the cold even though I prefer warmth. But... you are going to be in the extreme minority when you say something like you like rain or cold when you live here, and I'm one of those freaks I guess you could say.

I had worked in a garden center outdoors without air conditioning for 3 years in the hot and cold, rain or shine, and became pretty acclimated to just about anything that Phx is capable of so most complaints about the weather go in one ear and out the other.

Last edited by cmist; 12-13-2009 at 10:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I don't believe this hype about El Niño because we would usually start seeing more evidence of that by now, and it really hasn't been all that wet when you think of it.
There was one year that I can think back on, I'm not sure what year it was... where it was called an El Nino year and it still sticks out in my memory to this day. I remember it raining for a solid 2+ weeks day and night. It was so unusual that I was kind of bummed when it stopped.

I remember those rainy weeks were in February too because I can remember it being near Valentines day.

I don't recall having another El Nino year sticking out as much as that one did. I think it was like 1992 or something. Total guess but I think it was early 90's.

You probably would be able to pin that one down since you track it, and I'd be curious to know if it was that crazy or if am just romanticizing as a youngin' before my brain got overloaded with the real world.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:02 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,020,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmist View Post
There was one year that I can think back on, I'm not sure what year it was... where it was called an El Nino year and it still sticks out in my memory to this day. I remember it raining for a solid 2+ weeks day and night. It was so unusual that I was kind of bummed when it stopped.

I remember those rainy weeks were in February too because I can remember it being near Valentines day.

I don't recall having another El Nino year sticking out as much as that one did. I think it was like 1992 or something. Total guess but I think it was early 90's.

You probably would be able to pin that one down since you track it, and I'd be curious to know if it was that crazy or if am just romanticizing as a youngin' before my brain got overloaded with the real world.
El Nino weather forecasts call for a wetter and colder winter, which begins December 21st so there is plenty of time for those forecasts to be proven right.

It is true about Portland and Seattle having less chatter about weather, but their weather patterns are even more reliable and boring than ours; cold, damp and wet all the time...LOL!

Old 12-13-2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
El Nino weather forecasts call for a wetter and colder winter, which begins December 21st so there is plenty of time for those forecasts to be proven right.

It is true about Portland and Seattle having less chatter about weather, but their weather patterns are even more reliable and boring than ours; cold, damp and wet all the time...LOL!
They have weather chatter, but the weather chatter is positive about something we consider negative. Many people here look at them like they are totally nuts for being there, but they don't seem to have a problem with it.

I will admit... I haven't ever lived like that full time, so my appreciation for rain could come from rain deprivation living in the desert, but just as people are sick of the climates they endured for a lifetime and come here for a change, some people grow sick of constant sunshine and have to make the opposite change.

As I said, everyone here thinks I'm a freak for thinking like that, so I probably need to go somewhere like Portland where they love being bored with their rain.

Look up the gloomy season pics in the Portland forum, you will see what I mean. Its quite a different vibe considering their weather is considered "bad" but they love it nonetheless which is probably harder to do than loving sunshine.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:20 PM

Quote:
They have weather chatter, but the weather chatter is positive about something we consider negative. Many people here look at them like they are totally nuts for being there, but they don't seem to have a problem with it.

I will admit... I haven't ever lived like that full time, so my appreciation for rain could come from rain deprivation living in the desert, but just as people are sick of the climates they endured for a lifetime and come here for a change, some people grow sick of constant sunshine and have to make the opposite change.

As I said, everyone here thinks I'm a freak for thinking like that, so I probably need to go somewhere like Portland where they love being bored with their rain.

Look up the gloomy season pics in the Portland forum, you will see what I mean. Its quite a different vibe considering their weather is considered "bad" but they love it nonetheless which is probably harder to do than loving sunshine.
No thank you, I used to live in that doldrum. I think you probably would love it up there cmist. But there is a reason the pacific Northwest and Seattle rank high in suicide rates; they actually have linked it to the constant gray weather as a major contributor. So you'd have to constantly find beauty in the ugly to remain happy.

And I think we are spoiled in the Phoenix area and one reason we complain about the weather so much. We actually have great weather for most of the year. So those small periods of "extremes" just rub us all wrong, LOL and are magnified in our minds.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:30 PM

Quote:
No thank you, I used to live in that doldrum. I think you probably would love it up there cmist. But there is a reason the pacific Northwest and Seattle rank high in suicide rates; they actually have linked it to the constant gray weather as a major contributor. So you'd have to constantly find beauty in the ugly to remain happy.

And I think we are spoiled in the Phoenix area and one reason we complain about the weather so much. We actually have great weather for most of the year. So those small periods of "extremes" just rub us all wrong, LOL and are magnified in our minds.
This brings up a funny point. Do your research on high suicide rates and AZ was in the top. Not sure about Phx specifically, but it did list AZ and Las Vegas among the highest. I would have to find the thread that had the article but I read it in either Portland or Seattle thread not too long ago.

They roll their eyes every time someone posts in there about this stereotype of being the suicide capital of the world and are constantly posting articles to show people they are wrong with that statistic. Did you know that the most typical suicide victims are males age 65+ and supposedly this is why the sunbelt states purportedly have more.

As for finding beauty in the ugly, thats why I'm considered a freak I guess along with the people who live in other places that consider cactus, rocks and dirt ugly. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:34 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,252,856 times
Quote:
This brings up a funny point. Do your research on high suicide rates and AZ was in the top. Not sure about Phx specifically, but it did list AZ and Las Vegas among the highest. I would have to find the thread that had the article but I read it in either Portland or Seattle thread not too long ago.

They roll their eyes every time someone posts in there about this stereotype of being the suicide capital of the world and are constantly posting articles to show people they are wrong with that statistic. Did you know that the most typical suicide victims are males age 65+ and supposedly this is why the sunbelt states purportedly have more.

As for finding beauty in the ugly, thats why I'm considered a freak I guess along with the people who live in other places that consider cactus, rocks and dirt ugly. Different strokes for different folks.
Is this it?

Depression and suicide rates state by state - USATODAY.com

Old 12-13-2009, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Thats one of them but the PNW forums are loaded with people who are sick of refuting the suicide myth. One was showing cities, and in almost all cases AZ was ahead of all of them. Even in this link AZ is 25 while Oregon is 37. Its my theory that people who have the ability to find the "beauty in the ugly" as stated may actually have a little more emotional range than those who simply can't manage without sunshine. Just a theory.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Thats one of them but the PNW forums are loaded with people who are sick of refuting the suicide myth. One was showing cities, and in almost all cases AZ was ahead of all of them. Even in this link AZ is 25 while Oregon is 37. Its my theory that people who have the ability to find the "beauty in the ugly" as stated may actually have a little more emotional range than those who simply can't manage without sunshine. Just a theory.
States vary widely, cities are more stable in which Phoenix is never found on the high list. In 2009 the states with the highest suicides where Alaska, Nevada, New Mexico and the cold, cloudy states. Things vary with states; gambling, sparsely populated areas (gay suicide rates, loneliness, etc). But cities are pretty constant and Seattle and Portland are high and this has been linked to weather, I'm getting the CDC internet links and weather related theories; teen suicide rates in those cities are of concern as well.

But hey, this is about the recent cold Phoenician weather. We can open another thread???

Old 12-14-2009, 12:00 AM

Quote:
States vary widely, cities are more stable in which Phoenix is never found on the high list. In 2009 the states with the highest suicides where Alaska, Nevada, New Mexico and the cold, cloudy states. Things vary with states; gambling, sparsely populated areas (gay suicide rates, loneliness, etc). But cities are pretty constant and Seattle and Portland are high and this has been linked to weather, I'm getting the CDC internet links and weather related theories; teen suicide rates in those cities are of concern as well.

But hey, this is about the recent cold Phoenician weather. We can open another thread???
I won't go on anymore about it. It was interesting to discuss for a little, and was still weather related, we touched a little on how weather affects us. Only so much you can actually say about the degrees themselves.

No matter how the stats break down though, I wouldn't consider suicide whether its rainy or sunny. There could be far worse things going on.

So enjoy the cold while you got it!!! It will be time to complain about the heat soon!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area