Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 07:56 AM

1,216 posts, read 3,029,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyzzard View Post
Fear the Jackalope!
I knew someone was going to bring it up.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:01 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,575,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
That's not true. Haven't you been reading the natural disaster threads. One would have 0.00999999% of a chance if they went to the zoo, climbed over the exhibit with the aid of rogue zoo employees and antagonized the reptile; this is still a chance. Unless there is zero chance, there is a chance of being attacked by a Komodo dragon so from now on, we should add Komodo dragons to the list of threats in Phoenix.
Ya know, I guess you're right. I guess I should think before I speak

Old 04-25-2010, 11:23 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,417,073 times
Considering that Kmodo Dragons are only found near India/Indonesia , I don't think you have anything to worry about.

I have NEVER seen a gila monster either, tell her to go outside and enjoy it before it gets to 110 this summer!

As for the venom issue, a gila monster has to sit there and continiously bite/gnaw on your arm to do any real damage, a quick snap won't hurt.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:41 AM

13,213 posts, read 21,827,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
As for the venom issue, a gila monster has to sit there and continiously bite/gnaw on your arm to do any real damage, a quick snap won't hurt.
Except everything I've read says that clamping on and continuously chewing is the normal behavior. My kids were taught in school that if you're bitten by a gila monster, you should calmly walk home, fill the sink with water, and submerge the limb with attached gila monster in water until he lets go and swims away. I'm thinking "sure", I can just see my kid calmly walking home with a gila monster hanging off her skinny little arm.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:46 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,417,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Except everything I've read says that clamping on and continuously chewing is the normal behavior. My kids were taught in school that if you're bitten by a gila monster, you should calmly walk home, fill the sink with water, and submerge the limb with attached gila monster in water until he lets go and swims away. I'm thinking "sure", I can just see my kid calmly walking home with a gila monster hanging off her skinny little arm.
I read more into this, I guess it's almost impossible to release the jaws on the gila monster by hand, and you're right good luck getting a kid to walk home with a huge lizzard hanging off his limb! I doubt even an adult could handle this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area