Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 12:02 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,029,222 times

Advertisements

By the way, have we talked about the new Pittsburgh Science & Technology Academy magnet school in this thread?

http://www.pps.k12.pa.us/pst/site/default.asp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsbu...nology_Academy

I can't remember if we discussed it, but it has a "Computers and Connections" concentration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 12:15 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
By the way, have we talked about the new Pittsburgh Science & Technology Academy magnet school in this thread?

Pittsburgh Science and Technology Academy 6-12

Pittsburgh Science and Technology Academy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I can't remember if we discussed it, but it has a "Computers and Connections" concentration.
Maybe that's the one the OP heard about for computer technology.

Sounds like a good fit for the OP's son.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:46 PM

21 posts, read 32,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I agree Greenfield may be your best bet for finding a home in that range in the Allderdice feeder pattern.
Allderdice, eh? Well, there's one more place to look into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Maybe that's the one the OP heard about for computer technology.

Sounds like a good fit for the OP's son.
Nah. I'm pretty sure it was the one in that awful, failing high school.

And his sister is the one interested in science/technology stuff; he isn't interested at all (those two are total opposites when it comes to interests and personality). He attends a Christian school here, so he'd want to either continue in a place like that (though the one here is insanely cheap with a scholarship and that's how he attends, so I'm not sure if this is possible) or just go to a regular high school.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:25 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,029,222 times
Seems to me the ideal scenario would be finding a place in the Allderdice feeder pattern for your son's sake, then seeing if she wants to apply for the SciTech magnet (that is in Oakland, which is very close to places like Greenfield as well).

Old 03-02-2012, 04:01 PM

524 posts, read 1,036,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
I really don't know why people are recommending Greensburg in light of multiple good options near Pittsburgh.
x2

From what you have described, you definitely don't want Greensburg - much too small town and too far from Pittsburgh. Squirrel Hill or another city neighborhood would definitely be a much better option (though you do need to think about the school issue). Mt. Lebanon perhaps, Oakmont or Aspinwall maybe.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:54 PM

21 posts, read 32,183 times
Default Avalon and Bellevue

I remember that a few people recommended these areas. I'm not sure (I'm very forgetful, if you haven't noticed ), but I feel like I read somewhere that they're generally fairly good areas, but you should avoid a few streets. Is this true? If so, does anybody know what they are?

Also, why are the houses there so cheap? I know that the taxes are really high, but still! A lot of the homes are absolutely beautiful, yet they're still within my price range! What's up?

Old 03-02-2012, 05:51 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,666,746 times
Well, I wouldn't consider them places with tons of things to do, although it's another spot where you could at least walk around town (Bellevue is where there are more businesses really) and also get a bus into the city fairly easily.

I thought Bellevue was pretty stable, but a couple others disagreed recently suggesting it was slightly on a downward trajectory. But perhaps the main reason for the cheap houses is the Northgate school district. Most families with school-aged children aren't looking for that one. Also when you see big old houses think OLD and hasn't had much if any kind of renovation work done.

Did you check West View? The town is a little smaller but still has one, easy bus service to city, and a good school district (North Hills). Probably costs more than Bellevue but should still be something in your range probably. Did we establish your price range? Oh yeah, I see, it is the 100k. There should be some, maybe not very many.

BTW, I just noticed the religion remark when going back through. There's really nothing that will distinguish any of these areas in that regard. Most people don't care but probably have the assumption that one would go to church somewhere, so neighbors might ask that I suppose, that sort of thing. Dunno about other children and your daughter etc. As adults we certainly don't have any problems here being atheists surrounded by catholics and such (more concentration of catholics than anything, still, generally). But right around home it really isn't something that comes up, more like don't ask, don't tell. I have no idea what church, if any, my immediate neighbors go to, and don't care. Dunno if they care about us; if they do, that is their problem.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninaxela View Post
I remember that a few people recommended these areas. I'm not sure (I'm very forgetful, if you haven't noticed ), but I feel like I read somewhere that they're generally fairly good areas, but you should avoid a few streets. Is this true? If so, does anybody know what they are?
All of the areas recommended in this thread are safe, even Sharpsburg. There are no streets to avoid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninaxela View Post
Also, why are the houses there so cheap? I know that the taxes are really high, but still! A lot of the homes are absolutely beautiful, yet they're still within my price range! What's up?
Pittsburgh real estate is reasonable overall. Are you coming from a high cost of living area?

Old 03-02-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Most people don't care but probably have the assumption that one would go to church somewhere, so neighbors might ask that I suppose, that sort of thing.
Have your neighbors ever asked if or where you go to church?

In all my years and all of the different neighborhoods I have lived, nobody has ever asked me that question.

I have the assumption most people don't go to church.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:35 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,666,746 times
Quote:
Have your neighbors ever asked if or where you go to church?
No, but I don't use that as a gauge because we see and interact with the neighbors relatively little. Weeks go by without even so much as passing them in the driveway sometimes!

Quote:
In all my years and all of the different neighborhoods I have lived, nobody has ever asked me that question.
So maybe mine is a bad assumption that anyone would ever ask that then. Most wouldn't, it's really not that polite, but I think a few nebby types might.

Quote:
I have the assumption most people don't go to church.
I really don't think that is it. I mean, I'm sure there are plenty who don't go every week or whatever, but I have to think more go to church than don't. I'd be well and truly shocked if that were not the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh