Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 05:13 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,964 times

Advertisements

I would agree with guylocke that the highest concentrations of gay people and families is Shadyside, Squirrel Hill and Mexican War Streets. I'd add Lawrenceville to the list these days. There are also lots of gay people in East Allegheny and Allegheny West, also on the North Side. Just look for someone renovating in an older part of town and they're probably gay.

I also know many people in Regent Square, Highland Park, and South Side (Flats and Slopes). Truthfully, wherever I go in town, whether city or suburbs, I see gay people. I know we are in every neighborhood and suburb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 02:32 PM

85 posts, read 286,771 times
Default Mixed crowd bars?

Can anyone recommend a few mixed-crowd bars? I'm looking for something relaxed with an under-40 mix of sexualities and genders where a woman who is somewhat inhibited would feel comfortable (i.e. not a meat market).

Thx.

Old 02-27-2008, 04:41 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,071,152 times
Alleghenyman, I would say your best bet is 5801 and Spin, they are both on Ellsworth Ave in Shadyside. They are only one block away from one another. It is MOSTLY gay men from the ages of 21 to 40 but there are also quite a few women (more at 5801) and I've met quite a few straight couples who go just to enjoy themselves.

They ARE technically "gay" bars, but certainly not exclusively. I have straight friends with me every time I go. Ellsworth Ave is VERY busy on Friday nights.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:43 PM

Some other mixed places (gay and straight) where you would feel welcome are red Room (corner of Highland and Penn Circle South across from Borders Books), Casbah (S. Highland near Borders), Kelly's Loung (Penn Circle South), and Elbow Room on Ellsworth. These places are all very nice and are mostly straight but get a good percentage of gay clientele, so it's not uncomfortable.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:46 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Brillobox on Penn Ave in Bloomfield might be good, too. It's kind of a hipster dive, but my gay friends and I end up there a lot, and we know that at least one of the bartenders is gay.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:45 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guylocke View Post
I have straight friends with me every time I go.
You have straight male friends? Man you're lucky! Most guys on my campus don't befriend me for fear that I'll hit on them or turn them gay or something. Then again, I suppose I'm lucky that I'm friends with 99.9% of the females on campus; I'm the envy of those very same heterosexual males! LOL!

Old 02-29-2008, 05:02 AM

2,902 posts, read 10,071,152 times
Quote:
You have straight male friends? Man you're lucky! Most guys on my campus don't befriend me for fear that I'll hit on them or turn them gay or something. Then again, I suppose I'm lucky that I'm friends with 99.9% of the females on campus; I'm the envy of those very same heterosexual males! LOL!
LOL! Straight guys love me because I play so many video games with them and they respect me because I can usually kick their ***. My brother has gone with me, too! (He's straight and four years older).

Old 02-29-2008, 07:44 AM

This is funny. I have straight couple friends that I go out with, and the husbands/boyfriends don't feel threatened if I go out with their wives/girlfriends without them. Double protection: they're out with men to "protect" them at night, and there's no chance of anything else happening. A perfect world.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:48 PM

85 posts, read 286,771 times
I can see it. Most girls like gay friends - they like having a man around who isn't desperate to get them undressed and loves shoes and handbags.

It's the other way around for me sort of. A female friend is semi-closeted but wants to meet more women like her. Is very reserved and I just think she needs to have more fun. I'm straight but I miss running with a more artsy crowd.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:54 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
I think Cattivo in Lawrenceville is popular with the lesbitarian crowd these days.

Cattivo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh