Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 06:52 PM

570 posts, read 1,411,896 times

Advertisements

From my vista hight atop the city I have noticed the following. Pittsburgh now does have a so called 'center of gay life' starting to take root in the Shadyside-Ellsworth area.
Anchored by 5801 or the former New York New York bar, Spin 'bartini' has recently opened just down the street. Several gay owned retail stores are located on the street as are a few gay owned resturants. For the first time in many years it is possible to park and be done with the car for the night as one 'jumps' from one venue to the other that are either gay owned or gay freindly. Not quite to the level of a Columbus Ohio or Toronto gayhood offering but some push in that direction can be seen. To me the greatest indication of change in relation to the gay scene in Pittsburgh happened this past summer. Pittsburgh's Pride weekend held in mid June typically consists of a parade and a large scale picnic of sorts. This past summer however marked a change of sorts. Thousands of shirtless and skin showing guy's and gal's showed up downtown on Liberty Avenue and danced the night away in a large scale street celebration called "Pride in the Street' ( Pride in the Street - Pittsburgh ) The promoters showcased a ongoing concert, go go boys dancing and projected naked 'net' models on the sides of some of the high rises downtown. With the blessing of city hall and the police department the evening went pretty smoothly. Such a visible and large scale event being held downtown was a milestone of sorts I guess. Liberty Avenue was closed for much of that night. I know the planners are gearing up for an even larger event next summer. The recent Shadyside Arts Festival had a large gay production factor. The goal of this group was to showcase local performers and entertainment venues that may have been gay, straight or whatever. The drag show on Saturday did seem to score well as several thousand did show up and enjoyed the cool night on Ellsworth. Look for more 'public centered' gay themed events to be visible on city streets and neighborhoods in the upcoming year. This marks the greatest change concerning gay life in Pittsburgh to my eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 06:55 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,071,152 times
Quote:
From my vista hight atop the city I have noticed the following. Pittsburgh now does have a so called 'center of gay life' starting to take root in the Shadyside-Ellsworth area.
Anchored by 5801 or the former New York New York bar, Spin 'bartini' has recently opened just down the street. Several gay owned retail stores are located on the street as are a few gay owned resturants. For the first time in many years it is possible to park and be done with the car for the night as one 'jumps' from one venue to the other that are either gay owned or gay freindly.
You're absolutely right, and I do exactly what you just said. The gay people have pretty much taken over Ellsworth but what's really great - is that the straight people seem to love it!! I met 3 straight couples at 5801 on Saturday night who said they just love the drinks and atmosphere, regardless that it doesn't cater to their sexuality.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:45 PM

That's pretty neat stuff given everyone is having a good ol time in the same location.. right on right on..

Old 09-17-2007, 10:22 PM

83 posts, read 248,656 times
Glad to see things changing. I'm a straight male. I say more power to gay people. The ultimate freedom is doing what you feel is right inside. This is America. God bless you all.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:31 AM

15 posts, read 67,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boylocke View Post
LOL, no offense, and thank you for your two cents, but you must have missed this from my first post.
Oops...mea culpa. My bad! I reread the post and apologize profusely.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:54 AM

511 posts, read 1,937,314 times
When my fiance and I are walking anywhere in Shadyside and encounter a gay couple (men) they always give us a dirty look. We are very happy together and it shows.

Whats the problem?

Old 09-18-2007, 08:28 AM

No idea. Never had that happen my way with my dates in Shady.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:41 AM

457 posts, read 431,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwscottie View Post
When my fiance and I are walking anywhere in Shadyside and encounter a gay couple (men) they always give us a dirty look. We are very happy together and it shows.

Whats the problem?
If by "very happy together" you mean that you are "all over each other" that would explain it. Nobody wants to see public make-out sessions, Gay people or Straight people. Get a room for God's sake!

Old 09-18-2007, 11:44 AM

2,902 posts, read 10,071,152 times
Quote:

Whats the problem?
Yeah, no idea what you're talking about. I always thank and greet straight people at my clubs and make sure they are having a good time. I love diversity.
Quote:
Oops...mea culpa. My bad! I reread the post and apologize profusely.
No apology necessary. lol.
Quote:
Glad to see things changing. I'm a straight male. I say more power to gay people. The ultimate freedom is doing what you feel is right inside. This is America. God bless you all.
Thank you!! That really means a lot to me, actually. I mean that.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:40 PM

511 posts, read 1,937,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PApisces View Post
If by "very happy together" you mean that you are "all over each other" that would explain it. Nobody wants to see public make-out sessions, Gay people or Straight people. Get a room for God's sake!
No need for a judgemental response, because thats not what I'm referring to at all. We always hold hands and are always smilling when we are out and about, and I am very good at looking everyone in the eye, smilling and greeting them with a hello, and for years have found that gays and lesbians give particularly dirty looks when I've been with a date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh