Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 03:11 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,859,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Actuarial science is a different major entirely. The profession doesn't seem to be prestige-obsessed either, as I know a number of Pitt grads who got good actuarial jobs.
Actuarial science is actually called actuarial mathematics at Pitt and it is offered through the math departments at most schools. In other words it is a math degree with a a few economics and business courses interspersed. As I mentioned previously, a math degree from an Ivy or even Pitt for that matter may be worth $100K, but there are not many other undergraduate degrees worth that kind of cash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 03:12 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Interesting that Pitt had an undergraduate business major in the 40s. They did not have one when I started college in 1073. Penn State and WVU both had undergraduate business programs at that time.
I remember seeing his degree in my late teens. It was an accounting and business management degree. I remember because it perplexed me. He always referred to himself as an accountant. That's why seeing business management stuck in my mind to this day. I don't know if he did a double major or what. It was just something that made me go . I never asked him because I wasn't interested in accounting or business management.

I'm very impressed you started college in 1073.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:19 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,859,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
Yup. You do not have to go to an Ivy, you just have to pass the exams, of which I believe there are six. It's more statistics than mathematics, really, but there was a time when actuarial science programs didn't exist, and a common question to a math major was "What are you going to do with that, be an actuary?" That said, an Ivy undergrad degree is completely unnecessary in that field.
Nope you don't really need to go to an Ivy for anything, but it can help significantly in certain fields and a little bit overall. The alumni network from an Ivy is pretty helpful and the perceived prestige of the degree also helps. Very few employers refuse to hire Ivy grads, but there are several who will not hire grads from diploma mills. So I disagree with you that graduating from an Ivy like Penn with an actuarial science degree would be completely unnecessary. Also, statistics is part of math and there is more to an actuarial science degree than just statistics. Look at the number of calculus classes an actuarial science major must take in order to graduate.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:51 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,586,838 times
You can't do real stats without Calc, of course you have to take Calc in an actuarial science program, but this is nit-picking.

Hey, if someone can get into Penn and get an actuarial science degree, good on 'em. Hopefully they can get adequate aid from any Ivy with a halfway-decent endowment, but if not, it's their money. I was responding to the list of things that are worth going $100k into debt for. I feel pretty bad for these kids starting off their career with that kind of albatross wrapped around their necks. Although you can make a good living off of the OP's planned major as well - also six figures after a few years, although I don't know what the average is. A major that probably also requires Calculus, come to think of it.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:54 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,914,210 times
i just finished business calc in my comm.college. it was fun, until we got into the basic integration with substitution. i know there are more methods in integration and man im glad im done.

although i might need to take discrete math... anyways yeah i dont know what im going to do.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:57 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
Hang in there. Maybe Pitt will take more credits than you anticipate. If not, it might be worth coming anyways since you're not happy in Virginia.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:59 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,673,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I remember seeing his degree in my late teens. It was an accounting and business management degree. I remember because it perplexed me. He always referred to himself as an accountant. That's why seeing business management stuck in my mind to this day. I don't know if he did a double major or what. It was just something that made me go . I never asked him because I wasn't interested in accounting or business management.

I'm very impressed you started college in 1073.
Yeah, it was a few years after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. Geez, I hate when I do that!

I remember looking at Penn State, WVU, IUP, Gettysburg, West Virginia Wesleyan and Grove City in 1972/73 since Pitt did not have an undergraduate business program.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:10 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,673,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
tech is a great engineering school...I.T? not so much.
If you are looking at the School of Information Science, I suggest you check out the building on North Bellefield. I hated every class I took in that building.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:25 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,914,210 times
i'm going to stick to my hopes of going to pitt until i know for sure how many classes they will take in. i have only so much time left before i'm in deep trouble financially.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:43 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,693,878 times
One benefit of getting into an Ivy is that you will never go 100k in debt. In recent years, they have decided to use their huge endowments to reduce the effective cost of tuition. They each have their own tuition policies, but most families won't ever need to pay more than 10% of their annual income to send their kid to an Ivy, with lower/middle-class families not needing to pay a dime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh