Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 08:23 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,159,568 times

Advertisements

It can never be cheaper than a bus for longer distances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 07:49 AM

112 posts, read 161,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
I have 2 questions, I keep getting messages about having $50 in uber credits to try out the service. Do the drivers still get paid with those credits, also do you tip the uber driver.
Yes, the uber driver will get paid whatever the regular rate is. Uber claims that tipping is not required, but I will tell you that there are a LOT of drivers out there who will rate you low if you do not tip. Tipping is always very much appreciated in that business.
Part of the reason for the strike was that uber drivers want the tipping option to be added back into the app.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:57 AM

32,623 posts, read 77,744,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirus226 View Post
Yes, the uber driver will get paid whatever the regular rate is. Uber claims that tipping is not required, but I will tell you that there are a LOT of drivers out there who will rate you low if you do not tip. Tipping is always very much appreciated in that business.
Part of the reason for the strike was that uber drivers want the tipping option to be added back into the app.
You can see what the customer tips prior to providing a rating? With Postmates we have to immediately rate a customer before we can accept another job, but the customer can choose to never rate/tip for an order if she or he feels no inclination to do so. Personally I would give a customer a 1-star rating if they were rude to me at the door, regardless of tip, and would provide a 5-star rating if the customer was at least somewhat cordial, even if they didn't tip. Don't give me the "maybe they were having a bad day" excuse, either. My weekly rating is consistently a 4.90-4.99/5.00 because I pile on the smiles and "thank yous", regardless of my prevailing mood. Being stressed is no reason to be a douche to someone providing you with a convenient service like comfortable transportation or expeditious grocery/food delivery.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
You can see what the customer tips prior to providing a rating? With Postmates we have to immediately rate a customer before we can accept another job, but the customer can choose to never rate/tip for an order if she or he feels no inclination to do so. Personally I would give a customer a 1-star rating if they were rude to me at the door, regardless of tip, and would provide a 5-star rating if the customer was at least somewhat cordial, even if they didn't tip. Don't give me the "maybe they were having a bad day" excuse, either. My weekly rating is consistently a 4.90-4.99/5.00 because I pile on the smiles and "thank yous", regardless of my prevailing mood. Being stressed is no reason to be a douche to someone providing you with a convenient service like comfortable transportation or expeditious grocery/food delivery.
There is no tipping option on the uber app, so if the rider does not give a cash tip then some drivers will rate them low. So it all happens right there at the end of the trip.

I wish postmates was available out in my area! I would love to try it out.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:53 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,287,010 times
Quote:
There is no tipping option on the uber app, so if the rider does not give a cash tip then some drivers will rate them low. So it all happens right there at the end of the trip.

I wish postmates was available out in my area! I would love to try it out.
the whole point of uber is being cashless. uber markets themselves in this way. I will take the lower rating in spite of entitled drivers.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettert View Post
the whole point of uber is being cashless. uber markets themselves in this way. I will take the lower rating in spite of entitled drivers.
I know, Uber does market themselves this way. The whole rating system is ridiculous as well.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettert View Post
Do you ask what the driver makes for your trip after Uber takes their cut? A lot of Postmates customers don't tip us because they assume that 100% of the delivery fee they pay goes to the driver. It doesn't. The delivery fee is expensive, and there's a service charge atop that, too. Wheel Deliver charges a base delivery fee of $5.75 or $6.75, depending upon what part of town you live in, and the driver only sees $3 of that. If you stiff your driver with them, then they just made a whopping $3 for what could be 30-45 minutes of work.

I know the next response will be one of "if workers aren't happy, then they should take it up with their employer; it is not my responsibility to make sure these workers can afford to eat". Do you feel the same way about tipping servers at restaurants knowing they, like we on-demand drivers, are also paid a base that is below minimum wage while OUR employers have no legal obligations to make sure we make the minimum wage, as restaurants do?

In addition, do you realize we Postmates, Uber, Lyft, etc. drivers pay much higher taxes due to a loophole that classifies us incorrectly as "independent contractors" so that the quasi-employers don't have to pay their half into FICA?

Old 02-17-2016, 09:06 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,919,975 times
Quote:
Uber claims that tipping is not required, but I will tell you that there are a LOT of drivers out there who will rate you low if you do not tip. Tipping is always very much appreciated in that business.
I always tip when I use Uber. I would tip a cab driver. Why wouldn't I tip an Uber driver? It would be easier if you could tip on the app, though.

I didn't know drivers rated passengers. Is this why I never have a problem getting one?

Old 02-17-2016, 09:10 AM

6,601 posts, read 9,008,728 times
Tipping an Uber driver has never even crossed my mind. I thought the whole point was to be cashless and do away with the silly tipping aspect of taxis.

https://help.uber.com/h/1be144ab-609...5-b9c7de5ec073

Quote:
DO I NEED TO TIP MY DRIVER?

You don’t need cash when you ride with Uber. Once you arrive at your destination, your fare is automatically charged to your credit card on file — there’s no need to tip.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I always tip when I use Uber. I would tip a cab driver. Why wouldn't I tip an Uber driver? It would be easier if you could tip on the app.

I didn't know drivers rated passengers. Is this why I never have a problem getting one?
If everyone who stiffed me tipped me $1 I'd be a happy man. I can do 20 orders on a good, busy day. Of those four will end up "pending" forever because people are either ignorant of how to close out an order on the app or try to do this to make it appear as such so they can intentionally avoid tipping. Four will just hit "no tip". Six might tip me 20%. The other six people will tip 5%-15%. Giving someone a 5-star rating for delivering with a smile in half the quoted time and then clicking the box for "no tip" infuriates me. If I did well, then give me $1! Sheesh!

The interesting thing is that people in the more affluent neighborhoods seem to be the worst tippers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh