Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2020, 06:25 PM

32,621 posts, read 77,707,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Great strawman argument. The bottom line is black on black violence is huge but you’re as scared as ever of “white folk”. Could’ve fit silver dollars in the eyes of the black folk when we walked into that pizza shop. We even walked into the bar area after eating. Could’ve heard a pin drop.
1.) I’m assuming this is Capri Pizza.

2.) I picture you looking like Yosemite Sam, so, yes, of course you’re going to draw stares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
Hopefully this Target can attract additional discount/outlet retailers. Center City Philadelphia did a wonderful job of fitting a Bloomingdale's and Off Saks in multi floored historic structures..........Now all we need is Uniqlo and Zara.
Um. No. Downtown Pittsburgh will never have any retail scene rivaling Center City Philadelphia. It has a fraction of the population, and retail in general is waning. This Target, however, will be perpetually packed, just like the one in East Liberty is.

Quote:
I'll assume you looked or was acting weird in a non Shadyside / East End type of way. There is a difference. The East End is very diverse and most black residents are used to and live near white people.....East End white people....there is a noticeable difference.
Yes. There’s a certain “aura” of pretense around the East End. It’s palpable. Now that I’m on the North Side it feels like a whole different city after living in the East End. Oh, and we were gentrified out by richer white folks despite gladhands or xdv8 or one of them telling me that white-on-white gentrification wasn’t happening in Polish Hill. We’re happy to be North Siders now, though. With our $60,000 combined annual incomes over here we feel middle-class instead of poor, as we felt in Polish Hill.

Old 07-24-2020, 06:26 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,906,272 times
Quote:
I'll assume you looked or was acting weird in a non Shadyside / East End type of way. There is a difference. The East End is very diverse and most black residents are used to and live near white people.....East End white people....there is a noticeable difference.
How so?

Old 07-24-2020, 06:26 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,264,955 times
Quote:
Nope, just living life. We have friends in Shadyside and were visiting one of them. Obviously this establishment isn’t used to having white folk in there.

Old 07-24-2020, 06:29 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,906,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Yes. There’s a certain “aura” of pretense around the East End. It’s palpable. Now that I’m on the North Side it feels like a whole different city after living in the East End. Oh, and we were gentrified out by richer white folks despite gladhands or xdv8 or one of them telling me that white-on-white gentrification wasn’t happening in Polish Hill. We’re happy to be North Siders now, though. With our $60,000 combined annual incomes over here we feel middle-class instead of poor, as we felt in Polish Hill.
Now you're seeing it my friend.

Old 07-24-2020, 06:36 PM

Quote:
1.) I’m assuming this is Capri Pizza.

2.) I picture you looking like Yosemite Sam, so, yes, of course you’re going to draw stares.

Um. No. Downtown Pittsburgh will never have any retail scene rivaling Center City Philadelphia. It has a fraction of the population, and retail in general is waning. This Target, however, will be perpetually packed, just like the one in East Liberty is.

Don’t remember the name but it’s just up from the hospital.

Nah, just black folk obviously looking at us like we didn’t know white folk don’t come there often, if ever.

No idea why you’d listen to those you’ve mentioned. You’ve chosen your career path, err lack thereof. Expect to continue being gentrified out of areas unless you choose to live in less desirable areas that are far from gentrification.

Old 07-24-2020, 06:38 PM

3,406 posts, read 1,913,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Barker View Post
Ok, I know someone will take offense at this: Walmart is like shopping at the Newark Greyhound terminal and Target is more like Grand Central Station. Shoppers at Walmart are always scowling at me while Target shoppers will actually return a smile when one is offered. Just my experience. This is a needed boost to residential development downtown. I don't expect it will impact the current shop owners as much as raising all boats and creating a good, competitive environment for consumers.
Walmarts are notorious for having fallen items laying on aisle floors. I used to pick these up and restock the shelves myself so that nobody trips over stuff. Once I observed a Walmart employee actually STEP OVER a small item! After seeing that, I pretty much quit my "restocking" stuff from off Walmart floors!

Old 07-24-2020, 06:40 PM

32,621 posts, read 77,707,208 times
Quote:
Don’t remember the name but it’s just up from the hospital.

Nah, just black folk obviously looking at us like we didn’t know white folk don’t come there often, if ever.

No idea why you’d listen to those you’ve mentioned. You’ve chosen your career path, err lack thereof. Expect to continue being gentrified out of areas unless you choose to live in less desirable areas that are far from gentrification.
Right. Silly me to to think a banker and a law enforcement analyst should be paid living wages in this dreadfully-underpaying city.

Old 07-24-2020, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Right. Silly me to to think a banker and a law enforcement analyst should be paid living wages in this dreadfully-underpaying city.
Aren’t you making a living wage?

Move to a better paying city or continue playing the martyr. The choice is all yours. Crying doesn’t help. I find the weather here extremely lousy, hence I’m moving. It’s great to live in a country with choices.

Old 07-24-2020, 10:12 PM

806 posts, read 261,545 times
Quote:
Great strawman argument. The bottom line is black on black violence is huge but you’re as scared as ever of “white folk”. Could’ve fit silver dollars in the eyes of the black folk when we walked into that pizza shop. We even walked into the bar area after eating. Could’ve heard a pin drop.
White people who don't spend much time stepping out of white people spaces don't understand that other peoples' spaces aren't as exclusive as theirs are.

Look at enrollment by race in Pennsylvania's historically black colleges for an example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusboy8 View Post
Walmarts are notorious for having fallen items laying on aisle floors. I used to pick these up and restock the shelves myself so that nobody trips over stuff. Once I observed a Walmart employee actually STEP OVER a small item! After seeing that, I pretty much quit my "restocking" stuff from off Walmart floors!
See, Walmart's got it figured out, get the customer to do the work for free.

Old 07-24-2020, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghSportsGuy420 View Post
White people who don't spend much time stepping out of white people spaces don't understand that other peoples' spaces aren't as exclusive as theirs are.

Look at enrollment by race in Pennsylvania's historically black colleges for an example.
It was an extremely funny experience. We walked in and most everyone turned around and stared. We couldn’t care less what color they were, but they sure took notice of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh