Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 05:11 PM

34 posts, read 122,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPit View Post
There are a couple NFL coaches that are, besides the ones mentioned so far, like Dave Wandstadt (sp. ck?), Marty Shottenheimer (I think I got it), and I know I'm missing another one or two other locally raised ....

Ted Marchibroada (ex Colts head coach on 2 different occasions) is from Franklin (also played briefly for the Steelrs back in the 1950s I believe). I suppose he counts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 05:33 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,363,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_medich View Post
Ted Marchibroada (ex Colts head coach on 2 different occasions) is from Franklin (also played briefly for the Steelrs back in the 1950s I believe). I suppose he counts.
Yeah, and by the way, I remember passing through Franklin alotta years ago, it's true, but thinking what a quaint little town; anyway, yeah, alotta football names came out of the area; just thought of Mercury Morris, and,that other, much younger running back that went to Schenley High, played for the New England Patriots up until a season or so ago and now, can't think of his name either...I'm getting bad...

Old 07-04-2008, 08:59 PM

645 posts, read 1,539,533 times
Scott Glenn- Pittsburgh
John Kasich- McKees Rocks

Last edited by Jay_F; 07-04-2008 at 08:59 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 07-05-2008, 11:21 AM

Scott Glenn, good call, but I have to admit I don't know who John Kasich is. But while we're in Mckees Rocks what about Paul Spadafora; he was one of the lighter boxing champions until a few years back when I believe he ran into a little trouble with the law, but he was a good one; didn't have much of a swat, even for a little guy, but his defensive prowess was fun to watch.

Old 07-05-2008, 12:15 PM

645 posts, read 1,539,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPit View Post
but I have to admit I don't know who John Kasich is.
Sorry, I should have given some background. He is is a former OH congressman who had a show on Fox, from time to time is a substitute host, and is also a political commentator.

Old 07-05-2008, 12:50 PM

Oh yeah, I know the face and the voice, and though I gotta admit I'm not crazy about his politics that's for another thread. Thanks.

Old 07-05-2008, 01:32 PM

Charlie Batch, current Steeler back-up quarterback went to Steel Valley High, and thinking of that area, and the famous "Colored" Baseball team called the Homestead Grays, Josh Gibson might have been a native. Anybody know for sure about him or any of his team mates.

Also the Hill District team from that same league, The Crawford...something or anothers...

Old 07-05-2008, 08:33 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,711,905 times
Now that the list is pretty much complete, allow me to start removing people from it. Rush Limbaugh isn't from Pittsburgh. He worked here for awhile, but he's from Missouri. George Romero almost counts, but he's from NYC and now lives in Toronto, so I'm revoking his hometown bragging rights. Well, ok...thanks to Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead and Martin, he'll always be a native. Speaking of George Romero, I'm pretty sure Tom Savini is a native.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:44 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,800,366 times
Baseball player Dick Allen is from Wampum. The Griffeys and Stan Musial from Donora. Andrew Carnegie came to Pittsburgh in his early teens.

Here is the list of major jazz figures off the top of my head.

Billy Eckstine
Billy Strayhorn
Mary Lou Williams
Maxine Sullivan
Earl "Fatha" Hines
Erroll Garner
Ahmad Jamal
Art Blakey
Dakota Staton
Stanley Turrentine
George Benson
Those are all heavyweights too. Considering how strong that list is, it's amazing how few post jazz era stars we have produced. Phyllis Hyman had some success, as did Donnie Iris, The Skyliners, and Lou Christie, but none could be considered major stars. Prior to Christina Aguilera, George Benson was probably the most successful music maker of the post jazz era, and he actually came out of the old jazz tradition, before making the switch to pop music in the mid 70's.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
Baseball player Dick Allen is from Wampum. The Griffeys and Stan Musial from Donora. Andrew Carnegie came to Pittsburgh in his early teens.

Here is the list of major jazz figures off the top of my head.

Billy Eckstine
Billy Strayhorn
Mary Lou Williams
Maxine Sullivan
Earl "Fatha" Hines
Erroll Garner
Ahmad Jamal
Art Blakey
Dakota Staton
Stanley Turrentine
George Benson
Those are all heavyweights too. Considering how strong that list is, it's amazing how few post jazz era stars we have produced. Phyllis Hyman had some success, as did Donnie Iris, The Skyliners, and Lou Christie, but none could be considered major stars. Prior to Christina Aguilera, George Benson was probably the most successful music maker of the post jazz era, and he actually came out of the old jazz tradition, before making the switch to pop music in the mid 70's.

Great list, a big jazz tradition in Pittsburgh. We had some of these I think. I had forgotten about Art Blakely though, and got to admit I don't know who Dakota Staton is, gotta say the same about Maxine Sullivan, but Marylou Williams, a great one, and Phyllis Hyman, I loved her stuff, and so beautiful she was. Sad end.

Donnie Iris, the Skyliners and Lou Christie, right! He was the one who sounded like Frankie Valli, right? Yeah, alotta people don't know that about George Benson, one of the best of the BiBop guitar tradition, he went to Schenley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh