Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 04:48 PM

28 posts, read 82,245 times

Advertisements

So many mixed answers lol. They're not racist, just close-minded. They're not close-minded, just prejudiced. uhhhh...?
I'm a young asian guy (26) who just wants to know if I'm going to be able to make friends and date outside of my race there (city, not burbs), or is it going to be like trying to eat a steak with a spoon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 05:17 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,937,749 times
^I don't think you will have a problem. I doubt people will not want to date you or be your friend just because you're asian.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:56 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,816,440 times
Pittsburgh is quite sheltered and I think there is an certain undercurrent of racism, if that is the right word for it. Otherwise, why would all the neighborhoods be segregated? But is it more racist than other places? No, just different.

In Pittsburgh, no one thinks twice about not having black or asian neighbors. They just naturally segregate. The older folks have no issue calling black people "colored" and pointing them out in a crowd, which really threw me the when I moved here. Pittsburgh is hard to compare because it's not blended like New York but it's not as bad as some places I've heard of either. But I don't think most people here would publically say something to someone of a different race or color in a restaurant. They would be more likely to say something amoung the people they are sitting with, if at all.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:12 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,073,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicknpotpie View Post
So many mixed answers lol. They're not racist, just close-minded. They're not close-minded, just prejudiced. uhhhh...?
I'm a young asian guy (26) who just wants to know if I'm going to be able to make friends and date outside of my race there (city, not burbs), or is it going to be like trying to eat a steak with a spoon?
I thought the "sunshine" was important to you? I was right, you were just looking for someone to tell you that "Pittsburgh is sunny". I wish I could be there when the fall clouds start to roll in, and get to see your face. Just know your were told on here about the weather. So please don't move there and be on here every night complaining about the "overcast weather".

Now your worrying about making friends and dating? I would say that you've lived a sheltered life if you are asking questions like that about a place that has a city and metro population that Pittsbugh does. If you were talking about a town with 5,000 people I could see, but not a sizeable one.

P.S. I mispoke earlier, I meant to say "blue-collar class" and not "working class". After all, most people are working class.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:45 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,562 times
People will stare and mumble if they see you trying to eat a steak with a spoon...

Old 02-17-2009, 07:03 PM

28 posts, read 82,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
People will stare and mumble if they see you trying to eat a steak with a spoon...
What if I eat a spoon with a steak?

Cortlandgirl79, your location says Warren, OH. Have you lived in Pittsburgh city area? Just curious

Old 02-17-2009, 07:17 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,713,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway29south View Post
Pittsburgh is quite sheltered and I think there is an certain undercurrent of racism, if that is the right word for it. Otherwise, why would all the neighborhoods be segregated? But is it more racist than other places? No, just different.

In Pittsburgh, no one thinks twice about not having black or asian neighbors. They just naturally segregate. The older folks have no issue calling black people "colored" and pointing them out in a crowd, which really threw me the when I moved here. Pittsburgh is hard to compare because it's not blended like New York but it's not as bad as some places I've heard of either. But I don't think most people here would publically say something to someone of a different race or color in a restaurant. They would be more likely to say something amoung the people they are sitting with, if at all.
Where is this segregated Pittsburgh everybody talks about? 30 years ago?

My neighborhood is mixed. Most of them are, except for maybe the Hill. And Troy Hill.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:20 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,937,749 times
Warren is halfway between Cleveland and Pittsburgh. I understand now that you are talking about the city itself, but i do consider my area part of both the Cleveland and Pittsburgh regions. They are both very similar, but Cleveland has a lot more diversity. Cleveland and Pittsburgh are both very segregated as is Youngstown/Warren.

I feel like i can comment on the people of Pittsburgh just like Dug can. He lives just across the border from me in Pa. I believe both of us even live in the same metro. Youngstown, Cleveland and Pittsburgh all developed similarly at around the same time frame, give or take 50 years. All three areas were industrial boom towns with the same types of ethnic groups, customs, cultures, and attitudes. You'll find the same mentality throughout "our" region.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:27 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,541,261 times
an NYC story........Manhattan to be exact......hung out in a bar that won't be named (mcsorelys) being south asian, i had to deal with a "usa! usa!" chant as i left the restroom..and they were yellin racial slurs and i'm talkin a table of 20 drunk idiots....it happens everywhere

Old 02-17-2009, 07:33 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,713,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
an NYC story........Manhattan to be exact......hung out in a bar that won't be named (mcsorelys) being south asian, i had to deal with a "usa! usa!" chant as i left the restroom..and they were yellin racial slurs and i'm talkin a table of 20 drunk idiots....it happens everywhere
Yup, and being the only white person somewhere (like maybe a bar in South Asia somewhere) provokes the same type of reaction. It's something I call human nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh