Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2010, 11:56 AM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
At least they are Brits. It is expected. What are you?
What does it matter if they are "Brits"? The point is 0bama is acting like a thug. I thought you guys said 0bama would restore America's image to the world, sure does not appear so when he is damaging relations with our allies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 11:59 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I'm still trying to understand why Barton "took back" his appology.
Politics. By starting the episode, he showed to BP (and other corporations) that he carries a soft corner for them, and that they should oblige come election time. This doesn't go away with taking the argument back. Score a "win" on getting his welfare check from corporations. By taking back, he still wins. Electoral damage control.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:00 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
What does it matter if they are "Brits"? The point is 0bama is acting like a thug. I thought you guys said 0bama would restore America's image to the world, sure does not appear so when he is damaging relations with our allies.
Apparently, it does. You are the one who pointed at what some of the Brits are thinking. And I said... they are Brits, it is expected to see some of them have vested interest in "British Petroleum". At least as much as you have in perpetual anti-Obama campaign of yours for partisan politics you preach against.

Please don't worry about America's image. We all can see where it was, and where it is. You can have your opinion, don't assume everybody shares it.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:18 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Let's see....

We've got your Republican guy who spend a trillion to push around some guy named Saddam because he might have weapons of mass destruction in a country thousands of miles away(I'm being charitable here) and killing thousands of people in the process but we wouldn't describe those actions as thuggish.

Meanwhile we've got this Democrat guy who pushes around some pansy assed exec whose company has created one of the largest ecological disasters on our shores, he squeezes the guy for $20 billion but we call him a thug for having done so.

These are truly curious times to live in.

Old 06-18-2010, 02:36 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
A quick 5 minute Google search for what the United Kingdom thinks about 0bama's inflaming the issue and bad mouthing BP.

UK industry expressed alarm yesterday at the “inappropriate” and increasingly aggressive rhetoric being deployed against BP by Barack Obama, US president, and warned that the attacks on the oil company could damage transatlantic relations.

The concerns come amid mounting political unease in Britain that attacks on BP for its handling of the Gulf of Mexico oil spill are being dictated by the politics of November’s midterm elections rather than normal regulatory considerations.

News Headlines (http://www.cnbc.com/id/37606053 - broken link)

The leader opinion in The Daily Telegraph points out that BP is a multinational company, 40 percent of whose shareholders are American. The long-term relationship between Britain and America should not be jeopardized by a presidential response that has been more petulant than statesmanlike," it continues.

The Telegraph says it is disappointed that Obama, "a politician whose reputation was built on his powers of persuasion should be so quick to inflame a difficult situation for his own political ends. We had thought better of him."

Obama is told to "stop ranting against BP" by the Daily Express, which leads with the headline: "Obama is killing all our pensions." Many British retirement funds, both public and private, invest in the oil company, which has seen billions wiped off its share price this week.
ANOTHER!!! REPUG

FLIP FLOP

When it's bad news about Obama the Repugs care so very much about how other countries feel...

If other countries react favorably to Obama...it's" Who cares what THEY think".

PS. BP is NOT destitute, it is NOT going into bankruptcy...it has a ton 'o money and everybody's stocks are fine and everyone's pensions are fine.

Repug scare tactics when their ONLY God, Corporation, is threatened.

If money was a concern executive could always take pay cuts.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:04 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,080,222 times
$20 Bil fund, a classic 'Jesse' shakedown.
Jackson- Give me [insert $ amt'] or your business will be boycotted by my rainbow coalition members.
Obama- Give me $20 billion or the guy sitting next to me[ Eric Holder] will make up a criminal charge to put you in jail.
Obama learned well from one of his mentors.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:44 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
$20 Bil fund, a classic 'Jesse' shakedown.
Jackson- Give me [insert $ amt'] or your business will be boycotted by my rainbow coalition members.
Obama- Give me $20 billion or the guy sitting next to me[ Eric Holder] will make up a criminal charge to put you in jail.
Obama learned well from one of his mentors.
Ahh yes, more deranged hate with no evidence....

Old 06-18-2010, 05:11 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Let's see....

We've got your Republican guy who spend a trillion to push around some guy named Saddam because he might have weapons of mass destruction in a country thousands of miles away(I'm being charitable here) and killing thousands of people in the process but we wouldn't describe those actions as thuggish.

Meanwhile we've got this Democrat guy who pushes around some pansy assed exec whose company has created one of the largest ecological disasters on our shores, he squeezes the guy for $20 billion but we call him a thug for having done so.

These are truly curious times to live in.

So the conservative republicans don’t want the Gulf Coast people to get compensation from the corporation that caused the problem? I don’t understand, why they have an issue or problem with the helping those fishermen and businesses that have lost so much? They wanted the deep water drilling to get oil, they wanted the government to stay out of monitoring and regulating the corporation, then when there is a problem they want the government to send the coast guard to put out the fire and help with the disaster recovery, they want the government to stop the leak, they want the government to protect the coast, but they get upset with having money set aside for those who were affected. I need another drink

It’s not an accident that this happened when the corporation failed to practice reasonable safety procedures. Oh,,, that’s right ,,,,, to hell with safety.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:32 PM

57,296 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Maybe he should have apologized to BP like Barton but then you would accuse him of being anti-american. I thought the right wing hated apoligists?

I think he was being crticized for not meeting with BP before this meeting so he met with him. What did you expect him to say, way to go BP?

Old 06-18-2010, 06:06 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,600,753 times
Wow! What an interesting set of events!

The Republicans are incensed that BP has set up an escrow account to help the folks on the gulf coast...absolutely amazing...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies