Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 08:31 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,684,460 times

Advertisements

Everything dies and lives on this planet, animals die, children, babies of which never are seen or heard. Life is hard no matter what your religion or your beliefs. Learn lifes lessions and to make it easier Jesus and or the bible was created to help people know the difference.
We as a human race need faith in something to escape the world of death and destruction. We balance our struggles and good times with the faith that someone is watching over this process we call life.

I have accepted I can only control my life and cherish the time I have on this planet and the people I meet.

While I live I want my freedom and my right to defend it and my right to find the happiness on my terms I think fighting those who want to control others are lost souls.

See will see you all on the other side, Christians, Jews, Muslims, Budda, if GOD or a power of creation exists I dont think he cares what your religion but what kind of soul you were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 08:33 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,096,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Again- liberals truely believe all Christians are idiots. They are fed this notion by thier handlers and embrace this propaganda.

My measured IQ is 156. I am a Christian. I have a BS, a masters, and an MD degree. I have over 20 papers published in the peer reviewed medical literature. I guess I would not be considered an idiot by objective standards, but by liberal standards- I am an idiot. There is a big difference between these types and the "live and let live" atheists.

I can tell you that the brightest men I have known in science were and are Christians. Science and religion are only incompatible to those who have a cursory understanding of both.

I do not condemn atheists as 'idiots", as I feel everyone should chooses thier own path and come to thier own conclusions. I do strongly feel as those who condemn Christians as idiots tend to dogmatic liberals with marginal intelligence who simply cannot fathom possibilities beyond their physical reach.
Few things:

1) The inference of liberals leaning one way OR another is as generalized as someone declaring that all Christians are one way or another - in this case, "idiots."

There is no 'liberal' agenda against Christianity seeing as that most liberals in this country, are Christian, religious, or spiritual in predominance. I think that the idea that liberals are non-Christian or non-religious comes from the fact that most non-religious people tend to vote liberal, but it doesn't make the opposite true as well. Statistics in this country make that potential impossible, obviously.

2. Most importantly, I'm an atheist who simply doesn't believe in God - but I never say that one doesn't exist. Despite some of my humor, I truthfully don't believe Christians are idiots. Some of the smartest people I know are at the very least, theist. Many just the same, are also atheistic. I think 'Christian' has become a very generalized term and when people are making fun of Christians, they mean a smaller, far more specialized group. I think 'Fundamentalist Christians' are usually the ones that are made fun of the most. I'm sure you have too.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:33 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,387,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
That's nice for your wife. Yet according to the poll, if she believes JC is coming back soon, she's in the distinct minority among educated people.

This is a belief driven by the uneducated.. Something you can say for all religions.

...distinct minority....

as a percentage of each population, the unbelievers are only slightly larger than the believers. It is not a "distinct minority"

Old 06-24-2010, 08:36 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,433,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
...distinct minority....

as a percentage of each population, the unbelievers are only slightly larger than the believers. It is not a "distinct minority"
I was referring to those 19% of college educated people that believe JC is coming back by 2050..

And yes 19% IS a distinct minority.

20,892 posts, read 16,083,461 times
Quote:
How absolutely weird. Notice the relation between education level and the belief..

Poll: 41 percent expect Jesus by 2050 - UPI.com
Even Jesus himself apparently did not know when he would return. His personal predictions turned out to be wrong.

Matthew 16:28: "...there shall be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom."

Matthew 24:34: "...This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled."

3,771 posts, read 7,096,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
This is without a doubt the best post I have read in my short time on CD.
I agree completely. The brightest men in science are Christians.
And the fact that you are not threatened by atheist, and don't put them down and mock them and belittle them says a lot about your character and your intellect. Thanks you.
Well, that isn't true. He MAY know more scientists whom are Christians, but it doesn't ALSO mean that the brightest scientists are Christians - that's a logical fallacy that you can't prove. I would ask, however, that you do prove your point. We could play a game called 'name a brilliant scientist' and you name a Christian/Theist and I'll name an Atheist/Deist and we'll see who types longer. My fingers will be tired. Historically speaking, I think it's easy to see that the opposite is indeed true. That could be a number of reasons, but the biggest, as I see it, is that scientists tend not to be overly religious folk, and tend not to adhere to Christianity.

I'm not putting anyone down when I say that and I'm not inferring that Christians are indeed idiots, but we do need to be honest in these discussions.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:37 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,058,406 times
It's not news that the more religiously fanatical a person, the lower their IQ and level of education.

The same people probably are getting the short end of the stick now. Why not have something to look forward to?

Old 06-24-2010, 08:41 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,535,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
I'm a Christian, and I've always been taught that nobody knows when He will return.
I'm not a Christian anymore (raised Southern Baptist... Once I got out, I never looked back!) But it is also to my understanding that no one will know when the revelation will come. I say never, but that's my opinion.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:44 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,535,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
Well, that isn't true. He MAY know more scientists whom are Christians, but it doesn't ALSO mean that the brightest scientists are Christians - that's a logical fallacy that you can't prove. I would ask, however, that you do prove your point. We could play a game called 'name a brilliant scientist' and you name a Christian/Theist and I'll name an Atheist/Deist and we'll see who types longer. My fingers will be tired. Historically speaking, I think it's easy to see that the opposite is indeed true. That could be a number of reasons, but the biggest, as I see it, is that scientists tend not to be overly religious folk, and tend not to adhere to Christianity.

I'm not putting anyone down when I say that and I'm not inferring that Christians are indeed idiots, but we do need to be honest in these discussions.
That is impossible to prove; and I think he may be exaggerating a little... How many scientists does one know? Also, I've never heard of a scientist being a Christian -- ever. I guess you learn something new everyday?

Old 06-24-2010, 08:45 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,850,558 times
Quote:
Well, apparently four out of ten think he's coming back soon. I bet if they took a poll back in 1960, a hefty percentage would have said he was going to show up by 2000.

I just don't understand these kind of beliefs...there's no logic to them.
GOD is not about logic, He's about faith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies