Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 05:32 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,438,358 times

Advertisements

I have never considered who has more or less then me in life, to me it does not matter. This is a Country where most do have an opportunity to make a decent life for themselves. I know friends who are barely making it, and i do know the millionaires, who have everything and then some, and the silver platter, i don't consider anyone better then me, money does not buy who the person is, it defies their peronsal bank account, but not who the person is. Poor or Rich, you can be happy, money does not make you happy, if your not happy from within, a Poor person, can be all happy as hek, why the Millionaire is totally miserable. Money yes does help, with what it is in life you need those little necessities, the boat, the airplane, the vacation home, the cruises, the trips overseas, the Mansions, and none of that still keeps couples together. I am pretty happy with what i have in life, although almost always upper middle class, we work very hard for what we got and the long hard hours it took to achieve this. I like People for who they are inside, Rich or Poor sometimes the poor seems more happy then those that have so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 05:42 PM

19,833 posts, read 12,090,217 times
They have to keep the people riled up to retain their base.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:55 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,406,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Dawg View Post
I mean seriously, why do all you people harbor such jealousy and resentment towards those who have more than you? Why does this jealousy and resentment manifest itself in your people voting for demagogues like Obama who promise to take from others and give to you? There's no such thing as a society where everyone is a millionaire. Some people are going to be more successful than others, it's human nature. So what if your neighbor has a fancier car than you? Why do you feel entitled to have the government take your neighbor's fancier car and give it to you? If anything, it should make you want to strive to be more successful, so you can have a fancy car too. If you can't, it's because your neighbor is smarter and/or harder working than you are. So if your neighbor is smarter/harder working than you, why shouldn't they have more wealth and you? You have the opportunity to improve yourself. If you're too lazy and stupid to take advantage of your opportunities, then you deserve to have less.
In the words of the philosopher Jack Handy, "Sure, it's easy to want more money. And that's why I like it--just sitting there, rocking back and forth, thinking about all that money."

Old 10-18-2010, 07:05 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,706,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiesmom View Post
Republicans do have a knack for twisting this concept.
We are actually fascinated by the wealthy who are fixated on getting even more while they make sure everyone else gets less. The wealthy Republican is also fixated on power over other people (the economic instability of folks gives them even more power over folks...its called serfdom). Folks of lesser means are fixated on avoiding powerless serfdom at all times.
so only the wealthy republicans are bad? the wealthy democrats are just like us, but luckier? Did the rich dems all win the lotto?
Your theory does not match reality. The repubs want everyone to do well. the dems want to keep people on life support so that they will keep voting for them. Those poor people do not want the Gov't to pull the plug. They are addicted to welfare, - it is comfortable. The repubs want to take the training wheels off of those people so that they can ride on their own

Old 10-18-2010, 07:10 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,980 times
One question - who is this "you people" ?

Old 10-18-2010, 07:22 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,025,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Folks--you can't have it both ways. You either need to raise taxes, or make dramatic cuts to federal programs, and that isn't going to happen--no one has the stomach for it, although a broad group of both democrat and republican members of congress are calling now for better efficiency in military spending (one of our biggest money sucks)--it's about time. We cut taxes and went on a military spending binge. If I did that with my home budget--reduced my income and started spending money I didn't have--I'd be broke too.
you are half right cut federal programs that produce nothing . The non producers in this country must learn to support themselves and not rely on me and my working family. the foodstamp and section 8 housing leeches with their big screen TV sets must become a gov dream of the past

Old 10-18-2010, 07:23 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,321,312 times
Without class warfare the dems would have nothing, that's why we're being programmed in the politics of envy and covetousness.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:35 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,346,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Dawg View Post
I mean seriously, why do all you people harbor such jealousy and resentment towards those who have more than you? Why does this jealousy and resentment manifest itself in your people voting for demagogues like Obama who promise to take from others and give to you? There's no such thing as a society where everyone is a millionaire. Some people are going to be more successful than others, it's human nature. So what if your neighbor has a fancier car than you? Why do you feel entitled to have the government take your neighbor's fancier car and give it to you? If anything, it should make you want to strive to be more successful, so you can have a fancy car too. If you can't, it's because your neighbor is smarter and/or harder working than you are. So if your neighbor is smarter/harder working than you, why shouldn't they have more wealth and you? You have the opportunity to improve yourself. If you're too lazy and stupid to take advantage of your opportunities, then you deserve to have less.
I find this thread to be about as stupid as it gets.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:39 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I find this thread to be about as stupid as it gets.
Second only to the "sucks to be poor" poll

Old 10-18-2010, 08:15 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,867,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcjap View Post
Great response! She spent 12 hours on here today knocking, republicans, the tea party, corporations and anyone prosperous. She wants to stop anyone that gets in the way of her freebies.

I hear ya'. She talked the other day about her job so my only deduction can be that she is "paid to post".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies