Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 08:08 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,754,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
I'm a conservative (theologically) Christian with very liberal (political) views. You aren't alone. I've voted Democrat (or independent) in every election I can remember.
You came very close to describing me. Although I wouldn't describe myself as 'very conservative' theologically, I am relatively conservative in my religious beliefs. Thing is, when it comes to politics, I understand that my religious beliefs are for the most part irrelevant. Because I know that not every American believes as I do, I simply cannot see myself forcing anyone by law to live by my beliefs. And, now that I stop to think back, I cannot think of a single Republican I have ever voted for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 08:39 AM

2,564 posts, read 1,597,286 times
I am a non-conservative Christian too, I am pro-life all the way(against war, abortion, euthanasia, capital punishment), but believe there should be legitimate EXCEPTIONS to this (such as truly defending one's country from attackers/invaders; life of mother, rape & incest for abortion; de-criminalizing self-attempts only of suicide to stop medically-proven unbearable physical pain caused by condition/disease that was not caused by self inducement such as illegal drugs, self starvation, etc; and allow capital punishment for heinous crimes only when no other possibility of lifetime in prison without parole exists).

I think non-conservative Christians are more passive and therefore we may be the majority of Christians but America does not hear us. I think we should be much more assertive and still try to maintain diplomatic discourse

Old 11-07-2010, 08:43 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,506,441 times
If you think that's bad, I'm an atheist Republican - think how lonely I am.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
If you think that's bad, I'm an atheist Republican - think how lonely I am.
Bless your heart!

Old 11-07-2010, 08:48 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,114,142 times
The OP is NOT alone. I agree with the OP in every single thing said....except that I do think that gays and lesbians have a right to a civil marriage. I sometimes wonder if those who are Christians but who oppose all programs that help the poor, oppose humane treatment of their fellow human beings, support all wars, and support the death penalty and torture have ever even read the Bible.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:53 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,506,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I sometimes wonder if those who are Christians but who oppose all programs that help the poor, oppose humane treatment of their fellow human beings, support all wars, and support the death penalty and torture have ever even read the Bible.
Most of that was not only allowed, but required under the law of Moses.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:59 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,114,142 times
Quote:
I am a CHRISTIAN which means I follow the teachings of Christ. Have you even read the book of Matthew? Christ taught that, with the shedding of His blood He fulfilled the law of the prophets and that we no longer live under law but under grace....His grace. And, as He said, we will be now judge by whatsoever we did to the "least of these." "Blessed are the peacemakers," "Blessed are the merciful." "Blessed are the meek." Remember those teachings? Those are the teachings of Christ and those are the teachings that Christians are to follow.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Jesus trumps Moses:
Mt 19:16-19 "And behold, one came to Him and said, "Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may obtain eternal life?" And He said to him, "Why are you asking Me about what is good? There is only One who is good; but if you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments." He *said to Him, "Which ones?" And Jesus said, "You shall not commit murder; You shall not commit adultery; You shall not steal; You shall not bear false witness; Honor your father and mother; and You shall love your neighbor as yourself."

Old 11-07-2010, 09:08 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,848,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Am I the only non-(politically) conservative Christian out there?

The title is a little hyperbolic, I mean, my close friends back home (in Michigan) are all left-leaning Christians. However, it seems like any sort of Christian organization leans FAR to the right, any organization, commentary or event targeting Christians has a right-wing slant, many churches promote the right-wing agenda and the vast majority of Christians I meet here (Minnesota) are far-right conservative Republicans. Additionally, it seems like most Democrats, moderates and / or liberals are atheists or agnostics.

I honestly feel like I'm the only one who feels this way. I read my Bible, and I don't see where it supports the Tea Party agenda. However, apparently most Christians think it does?! I just don't get why American Christianity seems to be married to the right-wing agenda? In my opinion, Republican economic policy, foreign policy and social agenda (other than abortion) stands in opposition to Biblical values. Are abortion and gay marriage really the ONLY issues American Christians care about?!

My views:
I am a Christian (non-denominational)
I believe Jesus is the only way to God
I believe the Bible is the word of God
I would describe myself as politically moderate
I am for a progressive tax system (tax the rich more)
I'm against "free trade" -- I support protectionist policies
I support single-payer, universal healthcare
I'm AGAINST the Iraq and Afghanistan wars (bring our troops home now!!!)
I oppose war in most cases -- I believe in diplomacy over military action
I'm against the death penalty
I'm against abortion in all cases
I'm personally against gay marriage, but I don't think the government should ban it
I support amnesty for undocumented immigrants and a guest worker program
I don't think Sarah Palin is the next George Washington
I don't listen to Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly, Michael Savage or other such demagogues
I'm not a Tea Party member
I know Barack Obama is not a Muslim (or born in Kenya)

Am I really the only Christian who feels this way?
Assuming your location is accurate, I suggest checking out the First Congregational United Church of Christ in Mankato. I would bet there are many people there who have very similar beliefs.

First Congregational United Church of Christ
Mission Statement

Uniquely UCC on Vimeo

Old 11-07-2010, 10:18 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,848,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
How do you know Barack Obama is not a Muslim? He has referred to his "Muslim faith" on more than a few occasions, before he "corrected" himself at the prompting of his interviewer. He was raised a Muslim, went to a Madrasa (Muslim school) in Indonesia. His "Christian" experience has been black liberation theology, and "collective salvation" which bares no resemblance to Biblical Christianity. Therefore, I cannot call him a "brother in Christ". I don't know him.
Trinity UCC does not preach what you call "collective salvation". Your salvation is individual, but your responsibilities are too the community.

The following is from Stephen Mansfield's book, "The Faith of Barack Obama". Mansfield is a conservative evangelical who actually visited Trinity UCC and attended multiple services.

Critics of Obama and, certainly, of Jeremiah Wright wonder whether anything approximating the traditional Christian gospel is preached at Trinity Church. Wright's political pronouncements have been so radical and his demeanor in YouTube clips so angry that it is hard for some, particularly evangelicals, to accept that the church is anything more than a black Marxist recruitment center. Yet this is part of the sometimes confusing nature of both Wright and his church. Yes, Jesus Christ is offered to sinners as the Son of God who died and rose again. Yes, the church calls men to be saved from death and hell through confessing their wrongs and submitting their lives to a crucified Christ. Yes , this is the "born-again, new birth, blood-washed, Spirit-empowered Christianity" that evangelicals know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies