Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2010, 02:57 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
A car is frivolous if one already owns a car and is planning to profit by selling the existing or new car for profit. Do you really think that everyone in the studio audience did not have a car? FWIW I am not "worrying" about it and I am surprised that so many missed the point.
pray tell, what was the point of this insipid thread?

was it to criticize the giving of gifts when the money could be spent on the homeless and charities? again, I hope you haven't bought a single Christmas gift and have berated any one who bought you a gift by telling them that money could have been donated.

was it to criticize someone as wealthy as Oprah for giving away gifts instead of donating that money to charity? again, she doesn't spend her money on these gifts and she also donates quite a bit to charity.

was it to pick a bone w/ Oprah b/c she supported Obama? seriously, this reason is more ridiculous than the first two

please, tell us what point we're missing. inquiring minds really want to know why we've wasted so much bandwidth on this thread

Last edited by eevee; 12-11-2010 at 03:41 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 12-11-2010, 02:58 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,413,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
they do and common sense would suggest that Oprah or any of these people are not buying these items w/ their own money any more than Bob Barker spent his own cash on the cars given away on The Price is Right. it's a form of advertising for them and such promotions are taken into in the company's bottom line. and what better way to push your products than on Oprah? she likely hypes up the stuff she gives away (don't really know, have never seen an episode)

you still haven't explained, why Oprah? why are you just picking on her when other shows do this?
I chose Oprah because there has been intense advertising of her give away shows. I really thought she was going to have shows where she blessed truly needy people. I was surprised that so much hype was given to shows where frivolous gifts were given to members of the audience who happeded to be lucky enough to have tickets for that day's shows. The Oprah show was not considered to be in the game show genre but I think it should be classified as such now.

Old 12-11-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:

was it to criticize the giving of gifts when the money could be spent on the homeless and charities? again, I hope you haven't bought a single Christmas gift and have berated any one who bought you a gift by telling them that money could have been donated.

was it to criticize someone as wealthy as Oprah for giving away gifts instead of donating that money to charity? again, she doesn't spend her money on this gifts and she also donates quite a bit to charity.

was it to pick a bone w/ Oprah b/c she supported Obama? seriously, this reason is more ridiculous than the first two

please, tell us what point we're missing. inquiring minds really want to know why we've wasted so much bandwidth on this thread
And just who are you to label my OP as insipid? Do have some special qualification with CD?

Old 12-11-2010, 03:01 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
I think so. When you think of the money she spent on her studio audiences vs that money that could have been donated to a charity in the United States, it seems gauche and not befitting someone like Oprah who wants to be the Queen of charity.
I'm not a big Oprah fan, but I find this a really annoying line of thinking, chiefly because it reeks of smug moral superiority. Let's see if we can break your post down into two basic possible motivations:

1) "I am a better judge of how Oprah should spend her money." Um, it's her money. Are you going to hold court on how everybody spends their money? When your friend shows up with a new handbag, are you going to arch your eyebrow and say, "Why, Susan, do you realize how many hungry children in the Sudan could have been fed with that?"

2) "I am the sole arbiter of what constitutes good generosity and bad generosity." Hey, using that logic, then you can pretty much fault people who give their money to art organizations or private colleges, rather than poor people.

Look, she was nice enough to give away her wealth to her loyal viewers. I'm not sure how you can fault that and not be incredibly petty--and a killjoy to boot.

Last edited by cpg35223; 12-11-2010 at 03:22 PM..

Old 12-11-2010, 03:24 PM

Fair enough. Call me a killjoy but imagine what it must be like as a family, living in a homeless shelter, to see that show?

Old 12-11-2010, 03:40 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Fair enough. Call me a killjoy but imagine what it must be like as a family, living in a homeless shelter, to see that show?
What a bizarre way to look at it. I think it would be a lot more outrageous to be homeless and see that Republicans insist on giving the millionaires and billionaires of this country more help than the poor and the unemployed.

Old 12-11-2010, 03:41 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
If you give too little people will bit-- they give to much, people bit-- guess you cannot win. Yep Oprah is noted for being the perosn who gives to the most charities. The obvious ones we know, her Angel Network, The Boys and Girl Clubs of America, and the afternoon program she has, for Children of just one parent. And she gives thruout the year. But some people have become dischanted with Oprah, for mainly giving to Impovershed African American's and some are not happy about this fact. She gets 200 volunteers to help with Habitat for Humanity, which is a great organization.

For those who accept gifts from her on her show, if they cannot pay the taxes, guess they can sell something that they got for nothing!

Old 12-11-2010, 03:42 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
It's her money. She can do whatever the heck she wants with it, so long as it is legal. So can anyone else with their own money. End of story.

Old 12-11-2010, 03:45 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:

was it to criticize someone as wealthy as Oprah for giving away gifts instead of donating that money to charity? again, she doesn't spend her money on these gifts and she also donates quite a bit to charity.

Quote:
And just who are you to label my OP as insipid? Do have some special qualification with CD?
You started the thread...why can't you answer the questions???

Old 12-11-2010, 03:45 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
Quote:
Imagine, as a homeless person, what's it like to see people wake up at 3am to spend money on Black Friday?

or to see people leave a shopping mall w/ bags full of junk?

or to see people dining at a 4 star restaurant?

or to see some guy drive around in a new BMW?

seriously, why just pick on Oprah? w/ that argument, might as well pick a bone w/ ANYONE not spending money on the homeless or donating to charity. basically, anyone shopping this holiday season

please don't pretend to speak for the homeless people. I suspect your reasoning for creating this thread as nothing to do w/ protecting homeless families from seeing people win free stuff

as an aside:

1) I live in Chicago and don't see groups of homeless people or even advocates of the homeless protesting outside of Harpo Studios

2) having been homeless myself, I never once complained how people spent their own hard earned money and suggested that, instead of spending their money how they saw fit, they should donate it to the homeless. I especially don't recall complaining about all the free giveaways Oprah, Ellen, and Regis gave away while I was homeless.

really, I repeat, what was the point of this thread?

Last edited by eevee; 12-11-2010 at 03:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies