Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should people be required to submit to a drug screen before receiving unemployment benefits or welfa
Yes 118 65.19%
No 63 34.81%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 12:26 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,089,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
As a tax payer you also contibute to the salaries of our politicians who feed from the public trough.
Do you think we should require ALL of them to have drug testing ?
How about everyone who benefits from government money in any way or is it just the poor?
Yes, I think that politicians elected to public service should be subject to periodic drug testing. But the argument can be made that they are providing value (if only marginal in many cases, right Barak?) in exchange for their salary. Welfare recipients provide zero value to society (at least while receiving aid) and are not entitled to engage in illegal activity using our tax dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 12:33 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,742,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Yes, I think that politicians elected to public service should be subject to periodic drug testing. But the argument can be made that they are providing value (if only marginal in many cases, right Barak?) in exchange for their salary. Welfare recipients provide zero value to society (at least while receiving aid) and are not entitled to engage in illegal activity using our tax dollars.
Our politicians are not entitled to engage in illegal activities either but, they do & on a much larger scale than welfare recipients & LOL they haven't been very valuable to society either.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:41 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,847,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
You're yet another poster, who wants to invade the privacy of the poor. Just admit that you hate the poor, and consider them less than human, rather than hide behind this mandatory drug testing business!
Look at it like this. When you lived at home with your mommy and daddy did you not have to follow their rules? If you want to accept tax payers money then there should be some requirements. I am a huge person on our privacy and how we are losing it but when you are asking the gov for help you give up some privacy when they are allowed to verify your app

Why should we give someone support if they have money to use to buy drugs? Please answer

When you work at your job do you have to take a drug test? Do you have to follow the rules set by your employer?

I dont consider anyone less then human and for you to say I do shows you know nothing about me.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:55 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
There should be a gutting of the unemployment benefit process:

1: Benefits should be treated as a subsidy for training.

2: Training programs should be implemented to not only improve future job prospects but also as a means to employing professionals to teach/train

3: Guidelines for employment should be the guidelines for benefits. You shouldn't be rewarded for being drunk/UTI on the job and getting fired. Drug tests should be mandatory.

4: You should have a choice between simple short term benefits (8-12 weeks) with no requirements other than you have 2-3 months to find a new job, OR join a training program which would extend your benefits for the length of the program and then during the job placement (also a job creating side shoot) period.

Unemployment is either going to become serious about helping people find work or continue being a sucking sound on the economy while nurturing the handout mentality that nearly 40% of the working class seems to need these days.

Times running out and things (ALL things) need to be fixed!

Old 12-14-2010, 02:01 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,092,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf232 View Post
Should people be required to take drug tests to receive welfare and unemployment benefits?

*Sorry for the typo in the poll question... the last word is welfare. =)

NO the ones working for these agencies should be taking the drug test because half of them dont know what the hell they are doing..

Old 12-14-2010, 02:15 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,534,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Why is there any expectation that anyone feeding at the public trough is entitled to privacy to the point where engaging in illegal activity at taxpayer expense is something that should not be exposed?

You want privacy? Then take full responsibility for providing for yourself and your offspring! If I as a taxpayer am paying for what you have - food, lodging, lottery tickets, big screen TV, cigarettes, beer, bingo, weed, etc., - then you're subject to my inspection at any time. If those terms are unacceptable, or you are unable to comply due to character defects, then no more money. Simple enough? Privacy is not an option when suckling at the taxpayers' teat!

I took/take drug tests at work and am subject to thorough (and very intrusive) background investigations on a regular basis. Gee, all that and I still have to actually *work* for my money too! Why can't *I* just sit home, fire up my taxpayer-provided bong and have the check magically appear?
You can't compare welfare drug testing to company drug testing... They are two completely different things. The company that you work for is an established private entity which means they can pretty much do anything in conjuction of the law. If you don't like the policy, I suggest you work elsewhere.

Old 12-14-2010, 03:46 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,079,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I need a third option.

Welfare yes, unemployment, no. Everyone who works pays into the unemployment system. People don't have to work to get welfare.

On welfare, no, you shouldn't be doing any drug. I smoke marijuana, and I grow it for my own use. So I'd fail a drug test, but that doesn't mean I'm spending money on it either.
Actually, the employer pays the unemployment tax...it is not withheld from the employee.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:19 PM

935 posts, read 2,411,762 times
I say yes. I'm normally seen as liberal, but I believe people should past a drug test if they are going to collect unemployment or welfare. It doesn't have to be drug tests each month, it could be random testing to help save money.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:24 PM

1,296 posts, read 2,226,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Look at it like this. When you lived at home with your mommy and daddy did you not have to follow their rules? If you want to accept tax payers money then there should be some requirements. I am a huge person on our privacy and how we are losing it but when you are asking the gov for help you give up some privacy when they are allowed to verify your app

Why should we give someone support if they have money to use to buy drugs? Please answer

When you work at your job do you have to take a drug test? Do you have to follow the rules set by your employer?

I dont consider anyone less then human and for you to say I do shows you know nothing about me.
You can't compare parenting, which is a choice, to people getting welfare and UI benefits. That's patently absurd! Welfare and UI recipients, already have to follow certain guidlines to qualify for benefits. And you're assuming that ALL welfare and UI recipients, are using their payments to buy drugs. Which is also absurd.

Once again, you're assuming that welfare and UI recipients, are ALL lazy, shiftless, immoral, and irresponsible. It's the same old song and dance, that you conservatives put on. I think that if anyone should be drug tested, it should be you conservatives. With the harebrained schemes that you all come up with to harass the poor, you must be under the influence of some kind of illegal drug(s)!

Old 12-14-2010, 04:30 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kattwoman2 View Post
I say yes. I'm normally seen as liberal, but I believe people should past a drug test if they are going to collect unemployment or welfare. It doesn't have to be drug tests each month, it could be random testing to help save money.
Just out of curiosity...what do you think about the fact that most drugs are out of a person's system within a matter of days?

It's frustrating for employers because drug testing just isn't that great in weeding out the meth users...why would it be any different if it were required for welfare/unemployment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies