Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 12:17 PM

91 posts, read 192,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Look at the positive side:
we'll have highly educated people working the drive-thru window at MacDonalds and as greeters at Walmart!
FRIGGIN GOODIE !!! Someone to greet me with a big mac that can diagnose my ailments in in 5 different languges...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 12:27 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,869,619 times
I've had a couple medical issues this year so I've been to the Dr a couple times. I should say I've been to a surgeon and the PAs. Our Drs are quitting and some already have quit. They were older so I'm sure they were financially secure. Even my surgeon said he would be quitting in a couple years. He also said people had been asking where to sign up for the FREE health care. Gotta wonder what the backlash will be when the truth comes out. Libs can be very creative with their ideas...they just can't seem to find workable solutions. The HCB is not a solution.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:38 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,359,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
There is no income tax on what the employer pays toward an employees HC. It is reported, but it is NOT taxable income.
I think it is in the new law.

Maybe in 2014.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:44 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,869,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henriInCary View Post
Those so-called doctors, who are in it ONLY for the money can retire (or run for congress). This will be fantastic for the country.
I know plenty of people in medical school, who can't wait to join the real world and do the real job of doctors. And there are plenty of other doctors in emerging countries, who wouldn't mind coming to America and do the job. I'm tired of hearing all these doctors who are against Obamacare. 50 millions Americans are uninsured for crying out loud. When they get sick, they go to emergency rooms and you and I pay for it.

Most people that work do it for the money!!!! Why would a Dr be different, IYO? They may also do it because they enjoy helping people, but when the hours they spend away from their own families are no longer profitable they have personal decisions to make. When they can make more money in an advisory capacity and not be on call 24/7....well, what would you do?

And who do you think will be paying for the 50 million now? Does their care become free now? Maybe you should ask your friends in medical school. They must be getting a GREAt education if they belive 50 million people will be served for free. I hope they all take their share, and for free. Especially since no good Dr would expect to make a living, God Forbid!!!

Old 12-31-2010, 12:46 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,359,408 times
Ask the taxgirl: Health Care Benefits and Taxes | taxgirl

The tax starts in 2018.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:49 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,865,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I think it is in the new law.

Maybe in 2014.
Report that on W2's is in the New Law, It is also specifically stated that it is not taxable income. The Govt does want to know how much employers are contributing to the employees HC for information purposes.

Woops! Sorry, I did not notice you answered your own question about the taxing.

Old 12-31-2010, 01:06 PM

181 posts, read 331,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
A survey of 100,000 doctors by the Physicians Foundation finds that 40% say they will stop practicing altogether within three years when Obamacare is fully implemented. I guess that's how Obamacare will bend downward the cost curve: by making sure fewer people get medical treatment because they can't find a doctor to treat them. And Michael Moore will get his wish. Our health care will be just like Cuba's: two-tiered. The wealthy and the politically-connected will continue to enjoy quality care. The rest of us will be treated to third-world medical care.
"Obamacare" is simply a proposal from Dole that was pushed through Congress. We already have a two tiered system. At 56 and unemployable, I've opted not to by unhealth insurance. This has to do with a system that was established in the 1940s where people working for corporations received discounts on insurance.

I look at it this way - I'm dead soon any way you look at it. Yeah, if I get cancer, I could get chemo and radiation pushed by the medical industry and I'd gain an extra month of living in sub-existence and a lot of pain. Or, I will opt for nothing but pain meds to allow me to exit in less pain. I have witnessed the horrors with four parents dying and that was when things were better! Yes, we're headed to third-world medical care and pre-Obama we were like 47th on the list of countries that provided good health care. I'd like to move to Cuba - how?

We are already there. Why don't people understand this is not an Obama-created issue. So the doctors stop accepting health insurance. They're already going that way already - pre-Dole bill.

Old 12-31-2010, 01:14 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Not really. They'll have pretty lucrative fields as board members and employees of companies that deal with medical supplies and shipping them to richer Brazilian, Chinese and Japanese folks. Ain't gonna be any doctors working at Wal-Mart, guarantee you that.
Are these companies hurting for board members (I thought they were unpaid?) and employees now?

Old 12-31-2010, 01:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Do you really think that the PA who told me that she was going to retire in three years was lying to me? I questioned her about her motives and she said a combination of her age, the amount she has invested, and what she sees coming all weigh in on her decision. Of course, her comment about the meltdown of the financial scene leaves her lots of room to go along with you.
No, I don't think she was lying, but it sounds like she's ready for retirement anyway. Maybe she's just looking for an excuse to retire sooner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Did I indicate that that woman spoke about anybody but herelf? I surely didn't intend to do that. However, she is not the only one from that group that has told me the same thing about Health Insurance Reform. I do wish people could start referring to that law to what it really is.
None of the five docs I work with has expressed any plan to retire, pursue another profession, etc. Of course, they are younger men and women and have families to raise. They can't BS as much as these older ones who were going to retire soon anyway. Neither have any of them made any negative comments about "Obamacare".

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I guess things are different in Kansas than Arizona. I've tried to feel out my Drs. Which include my PCP, cardiologist, VA, Testing labs, just to see how the Drs. are concerning HCR and they are all pretty vague and non committal. I guess different standards apply for different regions of the country.
Yes, see above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
The PA in the office I go to is leaving to raise a family.

The health care law was part of this decision.
The health care law was a part of a decision to have a baby? What kind of decision making process is that?

Old 12-31-2010, 01:39 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,293,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Are these companies hurting for board members (I thought they were unpaid?) and employees now?
Companies are always on the hunt for well educated employees, even back in 2008-2009. Don't confuse cubicle drones with people who are educated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies