Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2011, 01:52 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,113,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theother View Post
Would you please explain how they have no "bearing" on today, and I'm sure I'll refute that.
Pray tell, how does slavery have ANY affect on society today?

I said they have no bearing, show me they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 01:56 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,339,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post

Oh yeah I forgot you're not a minority so you wouldn't know,
even if I repeatedly showed you.

Maybe when you guys become the minority in a few decades, you'll finally realize!

Old 01-16-2011, 02:07 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,113,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theother View Post
Oh yeah I forgot you're not a minority so you wouldn't know,
even if I repeatedly showed you.

Maybe when you guys become the minority in a few decades, you'll finally realize!
LOL So you have no intelligent response, that's what I thought.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:33 PM

499 posts, read 405,346 times
Quote:
Did you ever consider the fact that people base their prejudices on personal experience? The same way that blacks go around saying every white person is racist, there are some whites who have been truly hurt in some way by a black person, so they hold that stereotype to ALL blacks. Not saying it's right, but I would not just base today's racism on the actions of a few white folks 150 years ago. THAT is ignorant.
I would, for various lengthy and complicated reasons. Today's racism is absolutely tied to and is a product of the history and what went before.

If the people 150 years ago had acted differently in whatever way, that would have had a correlating effect on our society of today.

People may base their prejudices on personal experiences, but I am not seeing how that relates to the point above in this case.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:37 PM

774 posts, read 1,164,901 times
Quote:

This is actually from a post I made in November when someone else didn't understand that the effects of slavery in the United States still impacts both black people and white people today. His presumption was that black people are not affected today because some of us have good jobs and are not regarded as being "gangsta" and don't carry ourselves as such.

If I knew how to cross-reference the link back to my post I would do it here so that you might better understand the context of that post. Anyway, it doesn't nullify the validity of the posts below.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6456765.stm
http://www.gibbsmagazine.com/Legacy%20of%20slavery.htm
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/aia/part4/4i3088.html
http://bigthink.com/ideas/2661 (This is an interesting twist on the matter.

There's much, much more to shaking the effects of slavery than getting a good paying job, speaking Standard English, and leaving white people with the impression that "We have overcome".

Old 01-16-2011, 02:55 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,190,050 times
On the subject of racism Americans are as phony as phony can get.

Old 01-16-2011, 03:06 PM

774 posts, read 1,164,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark6052 View Post
I think whites are tired of being given no recognition for being helpful and the main reason minorities have rights. Laws were not past by blacks that made them equal. Obama is president because WHITE presidents said things need to change and made them happen. Yes there were whites not wanting the change, but the vast majority said different. many have died helping minorities. they are not wanting a public thank you, just get off the attitude.
I think it's obvious to anyone with a speck of common sense knows that the governement has been run predominantly by white people since the inception of this country, and therfore responsible for passing Civil Rights legislation. Some were reluctant to do so because of what they thought it might cost them politically.

But let's be honest about the whole thing. Had the white-run government adhered to the Constitution and really held "...these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness" we would not have had half the racial problems we've had in this country.You want to give the arsonist credit for putting out the fire.

By the way, whites that stood up front and center during the Civil Rights movement and beyond have in fact been given recognition. Why do you say that they have not been recognized? Andrew Goodman and Michael Schwerner, President Lyndon Johnson, and Viola Liuzzo are just a few of the many that come to mind that have been recognized on a national level for their efforts in the movement.

Last edited by SloRoller; 01-16-2011 at 03:16 PM..

Old 01-16-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
LOL So you have no intelligent response, that's what I thought.

NONE of your post have been intelligent in this op so what's your point?
But since you want to go there..

The Effects of Slavery Today

Not just on blacks but on whites and other races too..

Rather positive or negative or rather if you accept it or not, it has MAJOR and LASTING effects in modernized America.

Last edited by theother; 01-16-2011 at 03:42 PM..

Old 01-16-2011, 03:47 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,587,058 times
Hopefully one of these days, we will realize we're all part of the same race...the HUMAN race.

Old 01-16-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
Hopefully one of these days, we will realize we're all part of the same race...the HUMAN race.

From some of these posts and posters that is dreaming and dreaming BIG TIME.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies