Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 10:53 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,880,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
What bothers me is the stupidity of people actually heralding a new age of American weakness.
It makes no difference if you 'herald it' or not,it is happening.

What makes it 'stupid' in your opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 10:53 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,291,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
As china is always looking far ahead,you don't think they might see those potential problems?

But anyway,the point of the thread is how Americans view the idea of not being number one....
Well when you can tell me who will be number one then I will have an opinion. As of now that nation does not exist.
And don't say China again because I simply do not think China's growth is sustainable. Remember China is coming out of the dark ages, it is perfectly expected that the nation will experience several decades of explosive growth. Come back in 20 years and then we'll talk about it. In the meanwhile you should read this informative article about Asia:

Dazzled by Asia - Council on Foreign Relations

Old 01-19-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Countries like England and France were once vying for the #1 spot as a global superpower, they have ceded it and they haven't become wastelands.
Shadows of their former glories....There are plans for France and the UK to 'share' an aircraft carrier...LOL...

Quote:
The U.S. might still be #1 in 50 years, or it might not, but it seems many assume not being #1 means your country becomes Somalia, and that isn't always the case.
Nope,it means you are no longer able to use that position to keep the status quo in place.

If in the future,other nations give as much importance to what the USA wants as say the UK,do you REALLY see the USA being important?

Old 01-19-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
You pick.
Economically the USA is unimportant to Australia.US goods aren't there,and China is much more important.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:01 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,291,687 times
Quote:
It makes no difference if you 'herald it' or not,it is happening.

What makes it 'stupid' in your opinion?
What makes you say that it is happening?

Old 01-19-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Well when you can tell me who will be number one then I will have an opinion. As of now that nation does not exist.
And don't say China again because I simply do not think China's growth is sustainable. Remember China is coming out of the dark ages, it is perfectly expected that the nation will experience several decades of explosive growth. Come back in 20 years and then we'll talk about it. In the meanwhile you should read this informative article about Asia:

Dazzled by Asia - Council on Foreign Relations
You sound like Gates regarding China's ability to have a stealth fighter....

Old 01-19-2011, 11:14 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,402,861 times
Quote:
Economically the USA is unimportant to Australia.US goods aren't there,and China is much more important.

Actually when it comes to guitars and amps American made are still the best and highly most wanted and down under and in NZ prices for Fender, Gibson, Mesa Boogie and such are way way high compared to buying them in America. China doesn't have the quality to compete with America in guitar stuff. Actually China forges and fakes the Gibson logo but in s*** quality often. People get burned buying what they think is a $2000 guitar that is actually only a $200 or $300 guitar.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:21 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,069,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Countries like England and France were once vying for the #1 spot as a global superpower, they have ceded it and they haven't become wastelands.

The U.S. might still be #1 in 50 years, or it might not, but it seems many assume not being #1 means your country becomes Somalia, and that isn't always the case.

It depends on how we proceed from this moment in time. That we will decline is inevitable but whether we simply choose to reign it in a bit and enjoy the benefits of not shouldering the planet or continue on our present course, which I feel won't end well, is what will make or break us. We could easily keep the #1 spot but have a smaller slice of the pie.

I don't want to be England or France. I prefer America but not the empire. The problem with running the world is that you also get a whole world of problems. As my slightly insane granny said (roughly translated), "The more you wrestle with S$1T, the bigger the turd."

Our only real contender for the top spot is China. The only reason China is where it is is because we're their market. If their market goes away, so does their profit. Yeah sure they have Europe to sell junk to but Europeans just don't buy junk in the quantities we do so economy of scale will reduce their profits and standing considerably.

History is littered with the rubble of empires that reached too far. Each and every one of them could have been saved had they just backed off a little bit.

Don't ask me for answers to the problem because like everyone else I've got nothing but observations.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:27 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,069,623 times
Quote:
The state of California buys more from China than OZ. Multiply that by 10 and you have what China loses if the US falls. Their costs rise as their market shrinks and Australia feels the bite as the cost of goods rise to compensate for the loss.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
It depends on how we proceed from this moment in time. That we will decline is inevitable but whether we simply choose to reign it in a bit and enjoy the benefits of not shouldering the planet or continue on our present course, which I feel won't end well, is what will make or break us. We could easily keep the #1 spot but have a smaller slice of the pie.

I don't want to be England or France. I prefer America but not the empire. The problem with running the world is that you also get a whole world of problems. As my slightly insane granny said (roughly translated), "The more you wrestle with S$1T, the bigger the turd."
I agree.

Quote:
Our only real contender for the top spot is China. The only reason China is where it is is because we're their market. If their market goes away, so does their profit.
They sell to the entire world,the USA is important but China isn't dumb,it can see that other markets will have to pick up the slack....One thing China has that we don't is leadership concerned with the nation,not getting elected.

Quote:
Yeah sure they have Europe to sell junk to but Europeans just don't buy junk in the quantities we do so economy of scale will reduce their profits and standing considerably.
Again,this is short sighted,the EU has over 500 million people.

Quote:
History is littered with the rubble of empires that reached too far. Each and every one of them could have been saved had they just backed off a little bit.
I don't see the USA doing that,actually I don't see how the USA can back off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies