Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 11:21 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,787,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Ah, the liberal way. When they can't discuss, insult. And you challenge my adulthood.

It is very clear to ANY ADULT, the purpose of the OP is to cast aspersions on Walker, ignoring what his opponent got in campaign funding.

If this is over your head, sorry.

Are you trying to sat the dems are behind abolishing and curbing lobbyist influence? if so please provide date to support your claim.
Still deflecting the OP and all other germane points= non adult conversation.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:21 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,825,998 times
Not a coincidence at all. The rethugs got what they wanted when they voted Saturday morning.
Thanks for the thread Jill61.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:23 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
I respect your concern about these kinds of political expenditures. I think all organizations of any type should be barred from spending one thin dime on political advertising or political contributions, and that includes the unions. (Bet you didn't think I'd say that, did you?)

However. . .

Can the public sector unions buy power plants to profit off of? No.
Can trade unions buy power plants to profit off of? No.
Can the "Education Industry" buy power plants to profit off of? No.
Um... the public sector employees are going to be GETTING billions of dollars in profits - *paid for by the taxpayers* - when they collect their outrageous pensions. The WI teachers pension system, alone, is $10.9 billion short.

Will the Koch brothers earn anywhere near $11 billion on any supposed WI power plant purchases that may or may not even happen? If that's what you're claiming, please cite a source.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:26 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
the embarassing part for jojy, roy, is that 'bears' is the correct word to use in this case. not 'bares.'

I couldn't see anything wrong with that sentence, either. Of course, since I am so right biased maybe I was giving too much. Nope, actually I tried and tried to see which spelling worked best and "bears" won out every time.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:26 AM

59,088 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Still deflecting the OP and all other germane points= non adult conversation.
The OP has been addressed by other posters. No reason to repeat.

MY POINT is to show the bias of the OP. If you don't see that, it is your problem.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:27 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,666,314 times
State of Wisconsin
SENATE BILL 11

http://legis.wisconsin.gov/...
Google Quick View of PDF:
http://docs.google.com/...
Bottom of Page 23:
SECTION 44. 16.896 of the statutes is created to read:
16.896 Sale or contractual operation of state−owned heating, cooling, and power plants. (1) Notwithstanding ss. 13.48 (14) (am) and 16.705 (1), the
department may sell any state−owned heating, cooling, and power plant or may
contract with a private entity for the operation of any such plant, with or without
solicitation of bids, for any amount that the department determines to be in the best
interest of the state. Notwithstanding ss. 196.49 and 196.80, no approval or
certification of the public service commission is necessary for a public utility to
purchase, or contract for the operation of, such a plant, and any such purchase is
considered to be in the public interest and to comply with the criteria for certification
of a project under s. 196.49 (3) (b).

Absolutely disgusting giveaway to corporate interests by a governor bought and paid for by same.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:28 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,113,256 times
When I told my son that the Koch bunch were opening a lobbying office in Madison, his response was; "You mean in addition to the governor's office?" We are in the process of seeing what happens when the politicians, the supreme court, and unethical business combines to buy a state.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:29 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,787,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Union spending
Do you see something intrinsically wrong with having a requisite pile of millions for any given issue to be considered in a discussion? How far removed from merits of argument are we for decades now? The more money in the pile auctioning off legislation, the more retarded the decisions coming out of DC become. Simple as that. Unions did not author those rules. Neither did we. Neither have the legislators we've elected in our lifetimes. It happened long ago and became an entrenched habit. Bribery is legalized in America turning us into a Banana Republic.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:29 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,113,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
State of Wisconsin
SENATE BILL 11

http://legis.wisconsin.gov/...
Google Quick View of PDF:
http://docs.google.com/...
Bottom of Page 23:
SECTION 44. 16.896 of the statutes is created to read:
16.896 Sale or contractual operation of state−owned heating, cooling, and power plants. (1) Notwithstanding ss. 13.48 (14) (am) and 16.705 (1), the
department may sell any state−owned heating, cooling, and power plant or may
contract with a private entity for the operation of any such plant, with or without
solicitation of bids, for any amount that the department determines to be in the best
interest of the state.
Notwithstanding ss. 196.49 and 196.80, no approval or
certification of the public service commission is necessary for a public utility to
purchase, or contract for the operation of, such a plant, and any such purchase is
considered to be in the public interest and to comply with the criteria for certification
of a project under s. 196.49 (3) (b).

Absolutely disgusting giveaway to corporate interests by a governor bought and paid for by same.
See italicized, underlined phrase.

"for any amount that the department determines to be in the best
interest of the state.
"

"Best interest of the state" is the key phrase there.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:31 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Things get ugly when the money is just not there.
Yep. And that's exactly what we've seen the past 2 weeks in Madison. Public employee unions screaming for us to give them money that we just don't have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.