Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 04:14 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
You don't have ownership over public domains. Having kids isn't a trump card for every situation in life and I'm sick of hearing that excuse. People have a right to their freedom of speech and expression in public places whether you like it or not, whether it pollutes your kids' minds or not. That's why you have private property where you CAN dictate what comes into your presence. What you believe is "being responsible for themselves" may not match up with what I consider being responsible for myself.
There is a balance of individual rights and group rights by virtue of being a nation. We all have to agree driving on the right side is orderly. It could have just as easily been driving on the left side. The orderly was the point, not the side driven on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post

Also, you take on the tone of caring, compassionate, and humble and you play that part very well. However I can see right through it lady. So please cut it. Don't pander to me and talk down your nose to me and then feign ignorance. "Oh heavenstobetsy! We're all equal and we all don't know things, it's just you know less than I do." You're not the first religious person to do it to me and I'm sure you're not the last.
Does this mean I have no right to exist because you feel the need to diminish me as lesser worthy of rights? Interesting.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:29 PM

223 posts, read 577,104 times
Wow, if Christians are so certain of their faith, why are they so bothered by a silly TV show?

Jesus had to deal with much more...

If you don't like it, don't watch it.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Citizens are plenty armed to deal with lies. Often people are just lazy or prefer them to the truth. There is no way to ban lying, or stop people from believing lies if they choose to. There is too much ambiguity for that. There is also the matter of differing opinions, one mans civilization is another's darkness...Many of the things you have mentioned like Lady Gaga, Westboro baptist, or Beyonce go far beyond simple lies and true and get into personal choices and opinions...This ofcourse is inevitable when you try to restrict speech beyond very limited circumstances like liable, and criminal incitement.
Our involvement in Iraq and Afghanistan should be evidence enough. Lazy people... I think you blame people too much for what poor leadership designed/ exploiters took advantage of. If they designed something to baffle the masses with BS, it absolutely needs confrontation. I think the average citizen intending to uncover truth is handicapped by aspects of the system that need massive corrections. Our constitution has not coped with modernity very well and I hate the patriot act.

I do not pretend to have a ready made solution in my hand. I only know we are (collectively) in trouble. Perhaps if there were a way to weight the credibility of an argument formally-- I see wikipedia make concerted efforts in their editing process. That's fair. Fact check orgs; I thank you.

Just to keep the record straight- I support Assange in his intentions. His ability to scrutinize truth from lies arriving in his email is also up for grabs in debate.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:33 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Could you provide a link on that story? I can't google that with information so vague. They were intending to overthrow the government or fearful it might happen?
There was a group of them. I recall reading about it but can't recall which state.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:35 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
A bit of a straw man and non sequitur argument here: religion does not set any valid precedents for the USA: this is a similar situation when everybody thought the world was flat.

Quote:
There is a balance of individual rights and group rights by virtue of being a nation. We all have to agree driving on the right side is orderly. It could have just as easily been driving on the left side. The orderly was the point, not the side driven on.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:36 PM

It was a Christian militia. I wouldn't be surprised if they have a sect hiding out in Texas. Lilith News: Christian militia sought civil war with US government

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
There was a group of them. I recall reading about it but can't recall which state.

Last edited by artsyguy; 03-05-2011 at 04:46 PM..

Old 03-05-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
The book was written by my friend Kim, who went to high school with me in the 1970s in a privileged neighborhood in Dallas, Texas. It was called "the bubble" for good reasons. It was not the real world. It was a community driven by social climbing and old money. It was a tricky upbringing for people who stepped even an inch away from the status quo. There was also an ugly underside of drugs, drinking, suicide, racism and turning a blind eye to sexual harrassment and abuse.

I think you should withhold judgement until you either read the book or see the show. She skewers the hypocrisy of the "country club Christians" who take the word of Jesus and twist into justifications for racism, intolerance and hypocrisy.

Thankfully, Kim has a great sense of humor so, the hypocrisy she exposes is pretty funny. Her POV also exposes and supports the tenets of true Christianity--based in love and acceptance.
Amen to that. It's difficult to see when the baseline for normal/ healthy in a childs life is a drunken father and a prostitute mom. It harms them grievously for much of their lives until they're exposed to healthier choices. When healthier choices or examples are too few, we are in trouble.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:41 PM

Jesus did not go around harassing and intimidating "sinners" until they left town or committed suicide. These Christian militias are dangerous and evil cults: they are also backed up by some corporate monies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf_Rocks View Post
Wow, if Christians are so certain of their faith, why are they so bothered by a silly TV show?

Jesus had to deal with much more...

If you don't like it, don't watch it.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:43 PM

That's not what her post revealed: it revealed that the country club Christians were twisting social norms to justify racism, hypocrisy, and other forms of hate.

Quote:
Amen to that. It's difficult to see when the baseline for normal/ healthy in a childs life is a drunken father and a prostitute mom. It harms them grievously for much of their lives until they're exposed to healthier choices. When healthier choices or examples are too few, we are in trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies