Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 08:17 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,290,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Maybe you should start goggling Church's and checking their websites to see what churches do. Here is the FIRST one I checked in my area.

Missions - Good Shepherd

Here are just a few of their programs.

T.H.E. Milestone - Also an outgrowth of RFKC and in partnership with Salt Lake County and the State of Utah foster program and housing authorities, this is “The Transitional Experience Milestone” project, which offers qualified youth living quarters, in a safe environment, as a training and intermediate step to prepare for independent living. At the age of 18, foster care youth are released from the state’s guardianship. We desire to partner with these youth to enable their successful transition into the community.

Family Promise - In partnership with other churches from the area, Good Shepherd opens its doors to Family Promise-qualified families with small children to live and sleep within its facilities. These families are temporarily homeless and would otherwise be living in shelters or on the street. They simply need a safe environment and time and stability to find consistent work, skill training, and save money to rent an apartment. Many have sat a meal with our guests to enjoy them and delight in conversation.

Salvation Army - Every 3rd Sunday of the month, Good Shepherd members bring sandwiches, fruit, clothing, etc. to the Salt Lake City Salvation Army and help to service the evening meal, wait on tables, engage the guests in conversation, and minister through prayer. We are known for the best and largest variety of deli-quality sandwiches made throughout the entire valley.

Parish Nursing - Our qualified nurses offer frequent health fairs to the community (blood pressure, diabetes checks, flu shots, medical counseling, etc.) and attend to the health needs of our shut-ins.

Angel Tree & Shepherd’s Angels - This is our annual Christmas outreach to families with small children who are in financial need within our community. These children often have incarcerated parents and/or live in impoverished conditions.

Are these ok with you?
You have just been very nasty to the atheists who keep talking about how churches don't do anything to help those in need. Don't be kind to those people, though, as they don't deserve it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 08:35 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,762,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
The right wing is against the liberal safety net system. So...my question is (and republicans espouse this belief that help should come from personal charity and the churches), why aren't the churches flinging their doors open to house the homeless and those in need? Certainly they have plenty of pews (aka benches) and could afford a few sleeping bags from those Sunday collections.

WWJD?
Many do. As a matter of fact Bush urged just this.

Bush Urges More Money for Religious Charities - New York Times

Old 06-22-2011, 08:40 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
For same reason Obama doesn't open the whitehouse to the homeless.Too dangerous.But all you have to do is look at church funding for homeless shelters and even food kitchens. In my town the chatolic shucrch runs a very nice restaurant that will feed anyone two meals a day.Funbded entriely by the members of cathloic churches and staff by them.Open 7 days a week. They alos run shelters likeslavatio army ;and other things like food banks.There is alos the united baord of missions that houses people and gives them money ;food etc.Druing KJatrina they housed and feed thousands of evacuee in the churches here.During Rita aftermath churches from the stae setup and feed people from there portable kitchens. Groups came from arounfd the country to help for over a year on missio trips. A group of firends is now in Missouri.that is just a drop in what they do and even presidents know that they are one of the greatest resources for disaster relief with their organization abilties .

Old 06-22-2011, 08:41 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,290,033 times
Quote:
And just what buildings would those be? Churches are tax exempt. Where do you propose liberals go find tax exempt buildings?
Maybe liberals could get involved in those churches you want to tear down. Are you saying that liberals are not religious and none of them go to church because atheists don't like Christians? I sure hope that isn't what you are trying to say.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:23 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,218,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Maybe liberals could get involved in those churches you want to tear down. Are you saying that liberals are not religious and none of them go to church because atheists don't like Christians? I sure hope that isn't what you are trying to say.
Very true, here is a group I used to help out in Orange County CA. Catholic Worker: Isaiah House

Old 06-22-2011, 10:33 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,523,461 times
Quote:
And why don't YOU try reading the thread? I have volunteered at a homeless shelter, taught homeless youth (as a volunteer) and volunteered at a food bank.
Then why are you wondering what churches do?

Old 06-22-2011, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDirector View Post
Also funny how Priests in the Catholic church live like KINGS with their lavish spending and jewelery.
You have got to be kidding. The priests own nothing. The church members buy and donate things to the church.

Why is the capital buildings in Washington so elaborate---take care of that first. Why did the Washington monument cost so much to build and to take care of and all the monuments in Washington.

Priests live on a pittance from their church in each diocese. Some dioceses are richer than others but I can assure you when the priest is reassigned they leave the material things behind and go on to the other diocese. If they go to a poor diocese they don't have as much---a smaller house to live in, etc, etc, etc. The priests OWN nothing---they take a vow of poverty. I wish the people in Washington would vow to get half as much as they get and will get for their lifetime, even if they only serve one term.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:45 PM

[quote=antarez;19676704]Jesus has nothing to do with it.

BTW some people are homeless because they CHOOSE to be homeless.

Granted there are homeless that are temporarily down and out that need a helping hand, but some of these losers will expect you to carry them and families for generations.

The homeless losers I see around LA have money for beer and cigarettes but they need help???

You can give these defects a million dollars and they'll still end up back on the streets. You need to ask the " Churches " this question.

While you're at it ask the Catholic Church why it tells ignorant poor idiots not to use birth control and ( WWJW ) why would Jesus want them to continually breed and bring more helpless children into poverty to starve and suffer when these idiots can't take care of themselves and the children they already have?[/quote]

================================================== ================================================== ===========

LOL, many children of these "idiots" grow up to be millionaires. Just look at the MBA and other sport legends. Look at the Jacksons. They started out middle class or poor and are now richer than most of us, "Idiots"---HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Old 06-22-2011, 10:50 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,003,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
What?!

First of all, I don't know ONE liberal who wants to tear down ANY church.

Second, sure there are liberals who go to church.

Third, I have participated on an atheist forum and those are some of the nicest and intelligent people you are ever going to find! And it's not that they don't like Christians (OMG, they hosted a subforum for escapees from a Christian forum in order to allow a voice to speak for what the Christians didn't like that was going on in the Christian forum), rather they do not believe in a God.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:54 PM

Quote:
My thinking is along these lines. I have toured the overflow shelters in my town. They look like a bunch of bodies in a concentration camp. This makes me wonder why churches do not open their doors and offer shelter in at least extreme climates (where I live and where my mother lives - both opposite extremes in climate).
The government closed the doors to mental institutions years ago so the mentally ill had no where to go. The churches have tried to take up the slack but when someone is paranoid and WON'T come in off the street or eat you can't do much with them. You can try to have them committed but our liberal courts and the ACLU won't hear of it. Many mentally ill have died alone on the streets because of it. I guess their motto is----it is better for many to die on the street than to commit one person who should not be committed.

It's a terrible problem but in these cases IMO churches do a much better job at helping. They get to know the person and learn about their problems. Our church employs a man who has problems and would be one of the street people if not helped that way. He has a place to work and more importantly dignity in having a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies