Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 10:56 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,523,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
What?!

First of all, I don't know ONE liberal who wants to tear down ANY church.

Second, sure there are liberals who go to church.

Third, I have participated on an atheist forum and those are some of the nicest and intelligent people you are ever going to find! And it's not that they don't like Christians (OMG, they hosted a subforum for escapees from a Christian forum in order to allow a voice to speak for what the Christians didn't like that was going on in the Christian forum), rather they do not believe in a God.
Well you could fool me with all the bashing of Christians the atheists do here but maybe the ones on this board are not good reps for atheists. I sure hope they aren't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 10:58 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,003,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Then why are you wondering what churches do?
Gee, because I see an opportunity to house the homeless and others in this economic crisis and somehow think that is what Jesus would want to see.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Well you could fool me with all the bashing of Christians the atheists do here but maybe the ones on this board are not good reps for atheists. I sure hope they aren't.
I am not an atheist and I logged almost 5000 posts on that forum. I had people from Australia reaching out to me in tough times. They are just good people who do not believe in God. And I might add they are highly intelligent. Make of that what you will.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:04 PM

Quote:
No, I don't. But I have visited several and their doors seem to be locked far too often when there are those in need who could use a respite from the heat or cold.
People who come for help need to go to the rectory---that is where they give people help. The church building is there for people to go into to pray. There is usually no one in the church to talk to except maybe the janitor who will direct people to the rectory to speak to the priest or minister.

I'm glad you don't know anyone who has needed help and told you this but get out and learn more about how people are helped before slamming the churches.

Why doesn't the president open the WH for the homeless to sleep in there? You might as well ask that question while you are at it.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:04 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,138,171 times
I guess there's no such thing as a Liberal Christian. Thank you for clarifying that OP.....it confirmed my suspicions were right all along.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:06 PM

Quote:
People who come for help need to go to the rectory---that is where they give people help. The church building is there for people to go into to pray. There is usually no one in the church to talk to except maybe the janitor who will direct people to the rectory to speak to the priest or minister.

I'm glad you don't know anyone who has needed help and told you this but get out and learn more about how people are helped before slamming the churches.

Why doesn't the president open the WH for the homeless to sleep in there? You might as well ask that question while you are at it.
Hey, I grew up in a church. I am not slamming the Catholics here (which I presume you are). My question is valid. Churches have tax exempt status and there are plenty of them around that could open their doors to those in need. And I am not talking about some homeless addict, rather the guy down the street who was just foreclosed upon with kids.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:11 PM

Quote:
For safety reasons? None. But if I had security, maybe it would be a different story.

I am QUITE familiar with those organizations you mention, as I volunteered for the country's fifth largest homeless campus.

Do you remember the story of the money changers? Somehow I doubt that Jesus would think it a shame to have to spray Febreeze.
What kind of work did you do for them? You must have worked in the office and not in the trenches type of work.

Churches do all kinds of work to help the poor. Why don't you do volunteer work that is hands on and learn.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I guess there's no such thing as a Liberal Christian. Thank you for clarifying that OP.....it confirmed my suspicions were right all along.
Well, if I could I'd direct you to a forum where there are PLENTY of liberal Christians, but that is against the TOS. DM me if you're interested. Ironically, many of them ended up on the atheist forum just to express their views on Christianity and the atheist forum was gracious enough to let them have a never ending thread on it!

Having said this, yes, most church goers tend to be on the conservative side.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:15 PM

Quote:
What kind of work did you do for them? You must have worked in the office and not in the trenches type of work.

Churches do all kinds of work to help the poor. Why don't you do volunteer work that is hands on and learn.
What nerve you have to ask me this. I was on the front lines. Ugh! Your attitude just disgusts me.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Hey, I grew up in a church. I am not slamming the Catholics here (which I presume you are). My question is valid. Churches have tax exempt status and there are plenty of them around that could open their doors to those in need. And I am not talking about some homeless addict, rather the guy down the street who was just foreclosed upon with kids.
The church is a building that is full of pews---not a good place to put up a family. The families are "put up" in a facility set up for families with a kitchen, beds and rooms like a house. Believe me you do not want to see the homeless laying on hard pews or on the floors. That would be cruel to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies